Factory 455 's

Old October 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Factory 455 's

So..if a person wanted to replicate a W30 engine like the factory produced (i.e. -360hp,370hp,) ,and with todays technology ,knowledge and quality of parts;pistons ,camshafts et al ,can these HP numbers be matched and improved with just a stock type but quality rebuild ?AND using iron heads but an aluminum intake ,HEI and Q-Jet. Is a target of a streetable 400-450 hp possible ?
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
So..if a person wanted to replicate a W30 engine like the factory produced (i.e. -360hp,370hp,) ,and with todays technology ,knowledge and quality of parts;pistons ,camshafts et al ,can these HP numbers be matched and improved with just a stock type but quality rebuild ?AND using iron heads but an aluminum intake ,HEI and Q-Jet. Is a target of a streetable 400-450 hp possible ?
Absolutely it can be done. Im starting a 455 build exactly like that, and I will post every picture and step along the way, then follow it with a dyno test, then followed by a test in the car. I believe my ported G heads which flowed 270 @ .500 lift will easily support that kind of power, this flow test was in the engine section.
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM

What are the specs of the cam are you using ? is it close to a W30 cam?
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM

I definitely think you could exceed factory power numbers using the parts you mentioned and a quality build. I've got a pretty solid motor right now, but eventually I'll be trying to do the same thing you're talking about, 455, Performer, Quadrajet, HEI, iron heads, an honest 400+ horsepower. The main difference for me, which you didn't mention one way or the other, is I always use headers. They only help, IMO. I'd be shooting for just under 10:1 CR, and would have the heads done by someone who knows Olds. I haven't needed the service, so I haven't looked into it yet and don't know who's good. It will be interesting to see your results, Vortecpro.
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
What are the specs of the cam are you using ? is it close to a W30 cam?
I will try the W30 cam, but at this point it might get a 228@.050 hyd roller as well.
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:51 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
I will try the W30 cam, but at this point it might get a 228@.050 hyd roller as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=UXWFqxKU2qA#!
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Not really thinking about using headers but would maybe try the Thornton cast iron manifolds and use a 2 1/2 " exhaust system back to Flowmaster 40's .
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM
MOTORHEAD

Chinese parts leave something to be desired
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration
I definitely think you could exceed factory power numbers using the parts you mentioned and a quality build. I've got a pretty solid motor right now, but eventually I'll be trying to do the same thing you're talking about, 455, Performer, Quadrajet, HEI, iron heads, an honest 400+ horsepower. The main difference for me, which you didn't mention one way or the other, is I always use headers. They only help, IMO. I'd be shooting for just under 10:1 CR, and would have the heads done by someone who knows Olds. I haven't needed the service, so I haven't looked into it yet and don't know who's good. It will be interesting to see your results, Vortecpro.
Originally Posted by 1971four4two
Chinese parts leave something to be desired
Huh ??
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:15 PM

So what company are you referring to that is Chinese ??Thornton's or Flowmaster ?
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

The number one reason why today's engines produce more HP per cubic inch as compared to the 1960s is cylinder head design. Number two is computer controlled EFI that very accurately meters fuel. Unless you come up with a brand new head design that mimics an LS-family head and convert to port EFI, you will not get the same combination of power, driveability, and mileage as new motors get.
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Yes I can see why the growing trend of LS motors are gaining in popularity however I also think that an Oldsmobile vehicle should have an Oldsmobile motor.Popping the hood on an 70's muscle car and seeing a modern motor is a let down for me always, BUT i think that that the newer models of easy EFI may be a good alternative for us guys that like our Olds
motors.I think it would be more of a challenge to get your 70's car toward the 20+ mpg level than to just drop in an LS motor ,BUT thats IMO . I can also drop in an overdrive transmission ,use Synthetic oils and fluids to increase our mileage .BUT if your really worried about saving gas drive your 4 banger
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Easy EFI is still a throttle body system. You don't get the benefits of properly designed sequential port injection. And while the items you've listed will help, the reality is that the cylinder head improvements far outweigh any of the other changes. I'm waiting for someone to replicate the LS head design for an Olds motor. THAT will make a difference.
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:36 AM

For the sake of curiosity, what are the differences between 60s and LS heads? If you don't mind. Over head cam?

Port EFI should be doable, that's a matter of drilling the intake for port injection, yes?
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Seff
For the sake of curiosity, what are the differences between 60s and LS heads? If you don't mind. Over head cam?

Port EFI should be doable, that's a matter of drilling the intake for port injection, yes?
LS motors are the current generation of Chebby motors (you don't need to say SBC anymore, because BBC production stopped about two years ago). They are still pushrod motors. The heads have very carefully designed ports and chambers that optimize valve position and shape to promote flow and atomization. Please be aware that the engine design is a complete system. All parts need to be matched - cylinder head design, manifold runner length and shape, injector position in the port, cam profile, ignition timing, etc. You can get small gains by implementing parts of the design, but you won't come close to the total output without using a systems approach. This is a flaw in most engine builds - people throw parts together without ensuring that they are matched as a system.
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Ah, I see. Guess that's where the "40 years of development" become more than just a matter of the price of bolt-on parts. :P

So I'd get more out of my HEI if I got port EFI and higher compression to mimic a newer engine? Makes sense. The engine will only perform as well as its most shoddy part allows it to.

Mark/cutlassefi has a port efi'd smallblock, as far as I know. So it's doable.
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Here we go ,this 455 has a nice fuel injectiion system on it ,be interesting to know what the specs are of this motor and what components were used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Steves_442_2.jpg (47.5 KB, 41 views)