Brake lines leaking at calipers

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Brake lines leaking at calipers

I can not for the life of me, get these brake lines to stop leaking.. Not the hard lines i just put intoday but the soft rubber lines that run to the front caliper. Its leaking on the caliper side.. Any sugestions? Seems to be coming from From between the caliper and copper washer ive had it snug and it leaked now its tight and still leaking
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Lansing built

I am sure that you replaced the sealing washers, also check for pitting at sealing surfaces or debirs. Also could be the banjo bolt it self has small crack in it?

Pat
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I am sure that you replaced the sealing washers, also check for pitting at sealing surfaces or debirs. Also could be the banjo bolt it self has small crack in it?

Pat
Got some copper crush washers this morning. Hopeing it takes care of this issue cause its a pain in arsh!
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 805cut
Got some copper crush washers this morning. Hopeing it takes care of this issue cause its a pain in arsh!
Are you reusing the original banjo bolts or using new ones. If new, verify that the length is correct. I've had some that were just slightly long.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Are you reusing the original banjo bolts or using new ones. If new, verify that the length is correct. I've had some that were just slightly long.
I bought and just converted the front to disc brakes, the kit came with two sets of banjo bolts. One set with the caliper and the other set with the braided front brake lines, the ones that came with the calipers are larger then the ones that came with the brake lines. Ive used both, with new washers and it still leaks.

Ive replaced the crsush washers and now the things still leaking! And with no pressure behind it to, everything seems str8 and seated.. Im going to loosen then re tighten everything. Im getting a bit hopeless here..

Last edited by 805cut; September 26th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Re using the crush washers is not going to work.
Try torquing them lightly.
They just need to seal any imperfections in the mating surfaces.
What type of fluid are you using?
Dot 5 or mixing fluids is a bad idea.
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nasty455
Re using the crush washers is not going to work.
Try torquing them lightly.
They just need to seal any imperfections in the mating surfaces.
What type of fluid are you using?
Dot 5 or mixing fluids is a bad idea.
Im using dot 3, i was looking at some extra brake parts i had, found a pair of banjo bolts.. Actually took the tires off so i could get in there and see what was going on, they seem to be good as well as all the other hard lines that were leaking b4, just made sure everything was str8 while turning them tight.

All is well now, but to be honnest im scared to put pressure in the lines.. I will have a melt down if there still leaking!!
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Silly question...but you did put a copper washer on either side of the banjo bolts right?
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tom442
Silly question...but you did put a copper washer on either side of the banjo bolts right?
Yes sir, things seem to be holding up at the momment.. Hopefully this things done with its drama!
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Its leaking on the caliper side.. Any sugestions? Seems to be coming from From between the caliper and copper washer ive had it snug and it leaked now its tight and still leaking
I know you might have the problem sort of solved for now. Here's a thought though. Did you by any chance put the brass part of the hose onto the caliper backwards? (as in wrong side?) One side of the brass is completely flat to allow the seal with crush washers - new or old. The other side has a slight bevel. Even if you get washers in there, it will leak. Go ahead, ask how I know this....
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I know you might have the problem sort of solved for now. Here's a thought though. Did you by any chance put the brass part of the hose onto the caliper backwards? (as in wrong side?) One side of the brass is completely flat to allow the seal with crush washers - new or old. The other side has a slight bevel. Even if you get washers in there, it will leak. Go ahead, ask how I know this....
Not even, there still leaking.. So your saying thwt the ring the banjo gose thru on the end of the brake line might have to be flipped over?

Haha and how do you know?
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:30 PM

Im going crazy, the brake kit came with "upgraded" front steel braided brake lines..oh la la I think there cheap. In the morning im going to get some regular rubber ones. Im done with these things..
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Not even, there still leaking.. So your saying thwt the ring the banjo gose thru on the end of the brake line might have to be flipped over?
Very possible. Have a look at this pic that shows the brake hose where the banjo bolt goes. One side is completely flat (caliper side) and the other has a shoulder (outer side). You will still need crush washers to seal the contact areas.

Kind of awkward to get this shot but here it is hooked up on my r.f. caliper

Oh, I found this out the hard way a few years ago when I did the front brake hoses on my 98. Lesson learned and shared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2909.jpg (58.0 KB, 317 views)
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Very possible. Have a look at this pic that shows the brake hose where the banjo bolt goes. One side is completely flat (caliper side) and the other has a shoulder (outer side). You will still need crush washers to seal the contact areas.

Kind of awkward to get this shot but here it is hooked up on my r.f. caliper

Oh, I found this out the hard way a few years ago when I did the front brake hoses on my 98. Lesson learned and shared.
Allan, thank you for the picture. Ive replaced these POS braided lines and put in regular rubber lines, seems to be holding up.. I think they were Just crap
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glad you are back in business!