Clock module removal

Old September 27th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Clock module removal

Here we go again with another call for help.
I'm getting geared up to pull my clock module to repair/replace it. Anybody that's done this on a '68 4-4-2 I sure could use some hints, tips, guidance!!!
Looks like a bear just to get to the back of the gauges to replace bulbs.

Thanks AOT!!!
Dave
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Randy C.

You are right - it's not a picnic working under the dash! The only way I know of to remove the clock pod (or any of the 3 pods) is to go behind the dash, find the two 1/4" hex head screws that hold the pod in place, remove those screws and then pull the entire pod out through the front side of the dash.

One thing you might consider is replacing your clock with a factory (or aftermarket) tic-toc-tac. Your 12V (yellow) wire, ground (black) wire, and your dash light (grey) wire should already be there. You would just need to run a (brown) wire from the tach (with an in-line fuse - I believe 1.5amp) to the negative side of the coil. Just a little upgrade to think about since you will have already gone through the pain and swearing of pulling your clock pod!

As well, people recommend pulling the driver seat/front seat for more body room in working under the dash.

Randy C.
Old September 27th, 2015, 06:49 PM

Thanks Randy. Sounds like a winter project since I want to pull the seat and get new foam installed. Interesting...pull the mounting bolts from the rear to let the clock module come out the front. Appreciate the info for sure. I have the maintenance manual but it didn't really tell much...or I missed it.
Thanks again!!!
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:16 PM

I've looked at OPGI, BAP and Fusicks for the tic toc tach. Where can I find this piece? I remember seeing it before. I have found some listed for 68 Camaro. Are they the same?
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:56 AM

Think you have to buy it as part of the rally pack. Think you also need the installation kit so it gets pricey.
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/C240606/

Or convert the clock to quartz movement.
Amazon.com: Quartz Conversion Clock Repair Kit M-3015: Automotive Amazon.com: Quartz Conversion Clock Repair Kit M-3015: Automotive

If you have a low option car without a clock or just want a tach instead, can also dash mount an aftermarket tach. Previous owner of my car put in a autometer one that looks decent even it not "correct"