Need help finding clues on a 1970 4-4-2

Old September 5th, 2015, 09:14 PM

Need help finding clues on a 1970 4-4-2

Hi, a friend overseas needs help in assisting someone inspect a 1970 4-4-2 convertible. He needs to document it with detailed images of things that could be of value, but he needs help in what to look for and where the places are to find them. Car is relatively untouched, so he would also like to know where to find the build sheet.

The car is about 8 hours from him so currently he doesn't know what plant in which it was built (I though that could make a difference), but otherwise if you could suggest some things he should keep an eye out for, I would appreciate it - thanks!
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM

All depends. There may not even be a build sheet in the car. Sometimes one never made it into the car on the line. Otherwise it could be in the springs of one of the front seats, under the back seat or on top of the gas tank.

Good things to look for....tilt column, dual gate floor shifter, gauge package, speedometer with speed minder (white needle that is adjustable to activate an alert that you are going too fast), hood lock, OAI hood with corresponding air cleaner assembly, UHV distributor with ignition box, W27 aluminum center (not just diff cover, but that is still a plus), 4 speed, W30 and if so red inner fender wells, power trunk release (button in glove box), courtesy lights on the dash above the heater controls, map light on the rear view mirror, sport mirrors, and maybe a trunk light.

I think that about covers it.
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM

Thanks!

He also just reminded me that it's a W-30, so aside of the Lansing build, what else should he look for?

I have the Supercars Unlimited "442 by the Numbers" - is that a reliable guide to show him some numbers?
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:50 AM

I'm not an expert on the W30, but I'd say it should have the mirrors, red fenders, F heads, factory aluminum intake, OAI hood with air cleaner, possibly a rear wing (forgot that in the other post), cutout bumper (that too).
I doubt that it will be a 4sp car being a convertible, but you never know. It SHOULD have the gauges, but again I'm not 100% that they were standard on the W30's.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:39 AM

Hi,

I'm the one who is asking for help. The owner of this one has passed away and the son want it inspected and valued for a sale.

It is a W-30 automatic with the Hurst Dual Gate shifter. It has the hood with the special air cleaner. It is pretty untouched and has been repainted twice. Not driven a lot, same owner since 1975. It has the red fenders.

It has the speed minder in a KPH speedo! It was sold new in Sweden and is still here. It has no wing, they were not allowed back then. The regulation stated that pedestrians could be hurt by the wing, it can be that it had the wing from the factory but was removed or that it never got it from the factory. There are uncertainties about how this was done back then.

One special detail about GM-cars coming here is that they didn't have any seat belts from the factory, they installed them over here because the American belts were not approved.
On cars up to 1967 or 1968 there was even a special code letter on the trim tag for that. I've seen that code on Camaro's and Pontiac GTO's

I will go there in a few weeks to look at it and I want to be prepared, where to look for all the special details and numbers. We will take it up on a lift so everything can be seen.

Thanks

Jan
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:53 AM

Gauges were optional, that book is a good reference, no build sheet for Lansing built cars "M" in vin, paperwork is the only way to document a W30. 344 to start the vin to confirm that it is a 442, the W specific codes listed in the Supercars booklet can help id the W parts, but will not confirm as to whether the parts are original to the car, or were added on at some point.
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
possibly a rear wing (forgot that in the other post.... It SHOULD have the gauges
Hi, both wings and gauges were optional, and the wing wasn't even available on the convertible.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
paperwork is the only way to document a W30.
True, but since you won't find a build sheet and broadcast cards are tough to find, an OW automatic that matches the VIN is a pretty good indication, assuming it looks like it was born there and the OW tag isn't a shiny new repro.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:56 AM

True, but since you won't find a build sheet and broadcast cards are tough to find, an OW automatic that matches the VIN is a pretty good indication, assuming it looks like it was born there and the OW tag isn't a shiny new repro.
yep, and wasn't there a thread showing that convert. W30's did not have W30 on the broadcast card?
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Yes, it is a correct W-30 "convertible" fact that all Broadcast cards for 4 speeds did not have W-30 designated.