So hot in my 68 442 - cooling advice?

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM

So hot in my 68 442 - cooling advice?

Love driving around but can't handle the heat when I'm driving during the day. Any advice on cooling without breaking the bank? I got a quote for about $2500 to have AC installed, but that's a little too high for me. Right now, none of my air vents work.
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:27 PM

'68 has the little winglet windows, right? Use them! They're better than A/C as long as the car is moving.

Fix your vents. What's wrong with them? If they're screwed up, it's also possible that the mixer door is not going all the way to the "cool" position and thereby sending heat into the cabin.
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:11 PM

First, fix the vents to work.
Another good idea is to pull the front seats, pull the carpet back and insulate with fatmat or dynaliner to insulate the hot firewall and floorpans from the interior. It made a difference in my '72.
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:04 PM

bypass the heater core for the summer.
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by benjamin247
Love driving around but can't handle the heat when I'm driving during the day.
What, do you live in Phoenix like I do?

Old July 8th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You don't even have to bypass the heater core -just put a valve in the line and close it.

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Per the OP's other thread, he isn't even sure if this car has A/C or not. It would be helpful to get the answer to that question first, as the answers will vary.
Old July 8th, 2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Per the OP's other thread, he isn't even sure if this car has A/C or not. It would be helpful to get the answer to that question first, as the answers will vary.
According to the previous owner, it had AC at some point but it was removed. He gave me the compressor that it originally came with. I had my mechanic take a look at my car and found where the heat was coming from. There's a palm sized hole in the firewall (driver side) where i'm guessing some AC component was mounted. I'm gonna try to cover that and see if it helps...
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

According to the previous owner, it had AC at some point but it was removed. He gave me the compressor that it originally came with. I had my mechanic take a look at my car and found where the heat was coming from. There's a palm sized hole in the firewall (driver side) where i'm guessing some AC component was mounted. I'm gonna try to cover that and see if it helps...
Again, what does "removed" mean? Just the compressor was removed, or EVERYTHING? Is the condenser still in place in front of the radiator? Is the HVAC box still in place under the dash? What about the vacuum controls? The recirculation flapper and actuator in the passenger side kick panel? The fiberglass HVAC box on the passenger side of the firewall? The wiring and vacuum hoses?

By the way, there is no part of the factory A/C that passes through the drivers side of the firewall. There is a grommet in the center of the firewall where the HVAC wire harness and vacuum hoses pass through, however. That hole is not "palm sized", however. In fact, the only hole that size on the driver's side is the one that the main firewall electrical connector mounts in, on the back side of the fuse box.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's a palm sized hole in the firewall...
Hmmmmm... Y'know, that just might do it.

How closely did you look at this car before you bought it?

Also, if it is important to you not to be hot in your car, why did you buy a car with the A/C removed?

- Eric