Track Pak

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Track Pak

You gentlemen have probably answered this a hundred times, please I am asking one more time. On a 67 442 what did the factory installed track pak consist of? How did it differ from the W30? Thanks for the help.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Thomas Simcich
You gentlemen have probably answered this a hundred times, please I am asking one more time. On a 67 442 what did the factory installed track pak consist of? How did it differ from the W30? Thanks for the help.
There is no such thing as a "factory installed Track Pac". The factory built W-30s. The Track Pac was essentially the W-30 parts available in a kit over the parts counter for dealers or owners to retrofit onto non-W cars. This included the 308/308 cam, stiffer valve springs, and of course the O.A.I. parts. One major difference is that the Track Pac did not include the red plastic inner fenders used on the factory-built 1967 W-30 cars.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:55 PM

The over the counter track pack kit did not include chrome valve covers and chrome oil fill cap also.
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:11 PM

The W-30 factory option had, like said above, more than the track pack had.

The track pack was, like Joe said, cam and springs, and all OAI stuff, and the necessary battery relocation to trunk parts that the OAI necessitated. The W-30 factory option had all that, the cosmetic items Oldsmaniac and Joe mentioned, specific heads on the engine (AIR heads that were plugged and worked), specific ratios of rear end, and I believe a certain carb code and a certain tag on the automatic trans, were it an automatic car. No AC was available on a factory 67 W-30, nor power brakes.

A consumer added track pack car, or dealer added, is that hot cam and OAI setup added on any 67 442. So, if you were to see an OAI setup on an air conditioned, power braked 67 442 with non-chrome valve covers and oil cap, and no red fenderwells, then it is correct.
Old April 28th, 2015, 06:41 AM

This is the reason for the question:
http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/4991218048.html
I read the posts but they don't seem to apply to this one or the description. Can someone please explain this car. Thanks
Old April 28th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

This is the reason for the question:
http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/4991218048.html
I read the posts but they don't seem to apply to this one or the description. Can someone please explain this car. Thanks
Other than using the oxymoron "factory dealer-installed", he's correctly described the car as a non-factory built Track Pac car. The red inner fenders were not part of the Track Pac, as noted above, so those were added at some point. The problem is that you don't know what was put on the car when it was close to new, and what was added when the frame-off was done. Of course, there is no way to document any of this unless he has the dealer receipts from when the work was done. I don't believe that the 67 red inner fenders are being repopped - are they?

Cool car, and probably worth his asking price.
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:13 AM

I agree with Joe. It's not correct as is, but all the parts add up to that price. You could get the car, sell the valve covers and the red fenderwells, and set it up as a track pack car. Dealer installed would have to be verified by receipts.

For some perspective, I'm hanging a track pack of sorts on my 67, albeit with a different cam that better suits the 3.08 rear and the AC and power brakes. A customer could add the track pack to his or her vehicle by buying the kit, which is effectively what I am doing 40 years later. I did source a factory w-30 core support, so my OAI vent holes will be factory cut, not sawn.
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:28 AM

The red inner wells ARE repopped and these look like them as the color is very vivid. The car is a Track Pack car but who knows when the stuff was added. A true track pack would NOT have red wells, chrome valve covers, oil fill cap if you wanted it to appear as it would have after adding the W30 stuff. For sure ? it is not a W30 as the seller says so. The heater delete is rare to find. I would request many more pictures to see if the W30 stuff was installed correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
uw3.JPG (59.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; April 28th, 2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: picture
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

While the Track Pac kit did not include the chrome parts (it was the performance parts only), there is nothing that would have precluded an owner from buying and installing the chrome dress-up parts and red inners at the same time (though the do look brand new in the photos). Again, what was done "back in the day" and what was assembled during the frame-off is the question - or not. Sounds like there is no proof one way or another. The heater and radio delete plates on the dash are repopped also.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:17 AM

What about the trunk mount battery?
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Can someone please explain this car. Thanks
It is hard to explain this car.... If you (me) were creating a track pack car you would not need the red wells and chrome stuff but as said that could be an owner preferance. If you were trying to clone a true W30 you would need that stuff. The seller is coming clean in that he is not trying to pass this off as a W30. He could possibly be clueless and this is/was a real W30 car. The more info and pictures you get the better regardless of what it is. I do not believe the firewall blockoff plate is reproduced for heater delete cars so if that is a factory part it would make me want to research date code as there is a window on when the real W cars were produced. One would think if you wanted a stripped down lightweight car for racing you would have just gone and try to get/order a factory w car instead of ordering a stripped down 442. Who knows... lots of time has passed, alot happens.
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
What about the trunk mount battery?
Part of the W30 also part of the Track pack kit...