70 Olds 442 W-30 4 speed verification

Old November 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM

70 Olds 442 W-30 4 speed verification

Ok so I bought this car. 70 442 it was stored for 8 years by a guy that bought it 20 years ago. he drove it for 12 years and was only 17 when he bought it. At one point in time it had been rearended. It had a left quarter panel put on. A factory GM (still has the GM sticker on it way up close to the wheel well) Also the rear panel was replaced. Also has a GM part sticker on the inside. All done very well. It is the correct 344 with M build code for Lansing. He did the typical stupid kid stuff. 295 50 15's on 10 inch centerlines, he cut the dash for an aftermarket radio. He pulled the motor and rebuilt it. He had help with this and it does run great! it is not the original motor. It is however, a 70 455 with E heads and had an aftermarket intake and carb. Hood is the original w-25/w-30 hood. Original radiator was there. Manual steering and manual disc brakes. They broken the heater core putting the motor in the car. So he pulled the heater controls out and lost them too. Car was originally sherwood green and about 8-9 years ago he started to sand the paint off as advised due to the lacquer checking and peeling. he sanded all the paint off. Chemically stripped the hood. When I bought it there was no paint on it at all. The car had been stored inside. (thank God) the bumpers and chrome are all in good shape. The emblems were all there. Off but all there. He said he could not stand the red inner fenders so he rattle can painted them. I have hot water pressure washed them and they came out great. I pulled the back seat no build sheet, I pulled the bucket seats and the back covers no build sheet., I pulled the tank and again no build sheet. So, I pulled the carpet, no sound deadening. It has factory w-30 emblems, it has the holes in all the right places for them. The car is as follows, 70 non matching numbers 455. (now has a cast iron intake, and quadrajet) has correct exhaust manifolds, manual steering and manual disc brakes, M-21 4 speed that is correct, TM code 3:42 posi 12 bolt, Correct all 442 items, Laser straight and totally rust free body. So, is there anyway to possible tell if it is in fact a real W-30. He assures me he changed nothing as far as emblems or parts that were their except the intake and carb. But, with the wrong motor in it that does not help. So, does anyone know of a way to get a build sheet from somewhere? I did the Olds Heritage thing and the is really a waste of money. So, what next? This car does run and drive awesome. I did put a correct air cleaner and now has functional ram air. I put 15 x 7 rallye wheels and 245 60 15 TA radials and it sits great and drives awesome. However, is there a way that someone knows that I have not done to find out if it is a W-30. If so I would spend the money to do it and get F heads and a factory W-30 intake. Other wise, I will keep the running gear like it is and just finish it anyway and enjoy it. If it is a real W-30 I will do the car right and have a different outlook on the car. So if you can help I would appreciate it. Thanks Larry
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM

I can't help you on identifying your car. However, I can ask for pics.
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Ok so I bought this car. 70 442 it was stored for 8 years by a guy that bought it 20 years ago. he drove it for 12 years and was only 17 when he bought it. At one point in time it had been rearended. It had a left quarter panel put on. A factory GM (still has the GM sticker on it way up close to the wheel well) Also the rear panel was replaced. Also has a GM part sticker on the inside. All done very well. It is the correct 344 with M build code for Lansing. He did the typical stupid kid stuff. 295 50 15's on 10 inch centerlines, he cut the dash for an aftermarket radio. He pulled the motor and rebuilt it. He had help with this and it does run great! it is not the original motor. It is however, a 70 455 with E heads and had an aftermarket intake and carb. Hood is the original w-25/w-30 hood. Original radiator was there. Manual steering and manual disc brakes. They broken the heater core putting the motor in the car. So he pulled the heater controls out and lost them too. Car was originally sherwood green and about 8-9 years ago he started to sand the paint off as advised due to the lacquer checking and peeling. he sanded all the paint off. Chemically stripped the hood. When I bought it there was no paint on it at all. The car had been stored inside. (thank God) the bumpers and chrome are all in good shape. The emblems were all there. Off but all there. He said he could not stand the red inner fenders so he rattle can painted them. I have hot water pressure washed them and they came out great. I pulled the back seat no build sheet, I pulled the bucket seats and the back covers no build sheet., I pulled the tank and again no build sheet. So, I pulled the carpet, no sound deadening. It has factory w-30 emblems, it has the holes in all the right places for them. The car is as follows, 70 non matching numbers 455. (now has a cast iron intake, and quadrajet) has correct exhaust manifolds, manual steering and manual disc brakes, M-21 4 speed that is correct, TM code 3:42 posi 12 bolt, Correct all 442 items, Laser straight and totally rust free body. So, is there anyway to possible tell if it is in fact a real W-30. He assures me he changed nothing as far as emblems or parts that were their except the intake and carb. But, with the wrong motor in it that does not help. So, does anyone know of a way to get a build sheet from somewhere? I did the Olds Heritage thing and the is really a waste of money. So, what next? This car does run and drive awesome. I did put a correct air cleaner and now has functional ram air. I put 15 x 7 rallye wheels and 245 60 15 TA radials and it sits great and drives awesome. However, is there a way that someone knows that I have not done to find out if it is a W-30. If so I would spend the money to do it and get F heads and a factory W-30 intake. Other wise, I will keep the running gear like it is and just finish it anyway and enjoy it. If it is a real W-30 I will do the car right and have a different outlook on the car. So if you can help I would appreciate it. Thanks Larry
Unfortunately, without the build sheet (which may or may not have been left in the car) there is no way to prove the car is an original W-30. There is lots of circumstantial evidence, but no hard proof and no way to get it. Sorry.

By the way, your rear axle may have 12 bolts on the cover, but it is not a "12 bolt". The Chevy 12 bolt axle has 12 bolts holding an 8.875" ring gear to the carrier. The Type O axle you have uses only 10 bolts to hold an 8.5" ring gear to the carrier. Contrary to popular belief, the number of bolts on the cover is not what makes it a "12 bolt". The Chevy axle just happens to have 12.
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Duplicate thread so I've copied my post from the other one here seeing as everyone else answered in this thread!

Sounds exciting!

this may help from 442.com

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofwmc.htm#WM%20W-30
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Well never say never. I did a DMV search and found that my car had been owned and registered in the same state all along. It had 9 owners and also found who originally owned it and what day it was bought and at what dealership. I did a google search and wrote some letters and found the original owner still alive and in the same town it was originally bought in. He has some original pictures and documents and is happy to turn them over., Never say Never!!!!!
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Congrats on tracking down the ownership history of your car.

The "TM" rear is a W-30 exclusive. While non-W-30's could come with a 3.42 posi it had a different code.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rohebo
Congrats on tracking down the ownership history of your car.

The "TM" rear is a W-30 exclusive. While non-W-30's could come with a 3.42 posi it had a different code.
The "TM" rear was available only in the w-30 and W-31 with the "TO" 3.91 rear being the other W-30, W-31 specific rear(non W-27)

Although it could have been istaaled in this car at any time, it is a good chance that it is original to this car.

Check in the headliner, under package tray, in the door panels and sail panels and under the A-pillar covers and under the dash for paperwork. My 1970 W-31 and my 1970 SX both had paperwork above the headliner, good luck!!
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Let me get this straight. Olds Corporate records are gone so you can't do a search. If you have a dealer record wouldn't that show it. I guess the chance of a dealer having paper copies is small.
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Well never say never. I did a DMV search and found that my car had been owned and registered in the same state all along. It had 9 owners and also found who originally owned it and what day it was bought and at what dealership. I did a google search and wrote some letters and found the original owner still alive and in the same town it was originally bought in. He has some original pictures and documents and is happy to turn them over., Never say Never!!!!!

Nice...
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM

So, did the original owner tell you if it was a w-30 or not?
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM

In Canada you send your serial number (along with $45) to GM Canada Vintage Services and they will send you the production numbers, options ordered with your car, how many were either imported, made or sold in Canada. So a VIN is all you'd need to know if the car was a real W30. I would suspect that there is a similar service in the US.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442much
I would suspect that there is a similar service in the US.
Unfortunately, there is not.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, there is not.
Emphasis on "Unfortunately"............
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Emphasis on "Unfortunately"............

Actually,you can do the same in the US. But "Unfortunately" they don't tell you up front that they don't have the records any more so they just send you a large manilla envelope filled with photocopies of old marketing material. Save your money and don't bother if you were thinking of sending in $50!