Just adopted a 68 442

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Just adopted a 68 442

Hey guys, I'm new to the Olds world.... So I have a few specific questions for ya...

Just got this ride (towed) home and its in ok orginal shape... I didn't get into it to much yet.. But it appears to be a numbers matching pretty unmolested car.. Its missing a few random things tho....

When you guys go to your Buddy's shop to hang out... There is usually a car tucked away that had been there for years that gets worked on "here and there"... Well that was this car.. It was at a shop getting work done for the greater part of the 2000's. Hasn't been down the road in quite some time.. anyways... appears that random things are missing that I am going to try and recover... Like, passenger side inner fender well, A/C Compressor, wiper arms to name a few things...

What are best places for parts around the web (like the missing ones I mentioned).... I also need some weather stripping, trunk lock, oem radio *****, maybe a hood latch... and the hood springs are rather odd...

and thanks in advance guys.. I am going to be annoying for the next few weeks!!!

(1968 442, Buckets, Auto, Console Shift)

23e76798-64cb-468b-b08a-558f9a9fa6e9.jpg

Last edited by jaybone; April 20th, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice car. There are a few folks on here that can help you on parts. Just post a list under parts wanted. Weather stripping can be had through an assortment of places, Metro Moulded Products, Steele Rubber products, any of the resto suppliers.
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaybone
Hey guys, I'm new to the Olds world.... So I have a few specific questions for ya...

Just got this ride (towed) home and its in ok orginal shape... I didn't get into it to much yet.. But it appears to be a numbers matching pretty unmolested car.. Its missing a few random things tho....

When you guys go to your Buddy's shop to hang out... There is usually a car tucked away that had been there for years that gets worked on "here and there"... Well that was this car.. It was at a shop getting work done for the greater part of the 2000's. Hasn't been down the road in quite some time.. anyways... appears that random things are missing that I am going to try and recover... Like, passenger side inner fender well, A/C Compressor, wiper arms to name a few things...

What are best places for parts around the web (like the missing ones I mentioned).... I also need some weather stripping, trunk lock, oem radio *****, maybe a hood latch... and the hood springs are rather odd...

and thanks in advance guys.. I am going to be annoying for the next few weeks!!!

(1968 442, Buckets, Auto, Console Shift)

nice car

have radio ***** 68 only (not reproduced)
have hood springs 68 only (not reproduced)
may have latch as well trunk lock
have wiper arms as well
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Randy C.

Nice car! And a nice find, too! In restoring my '68, I found a number of sources to be helpful. Among the best for reproduction (and some new) parts is Fusick. You can view their on-line catalog at www.Fusick.com. Another great source for mechanical parts (and some used parts) is SuperCars Unlimited and you can view their on-line catalog at www.supercarsunlimited.com. You will find parts for sale on this site and you can advertise for parts on this site. A lot of people here have spare parts, like the passenger side inner fender, A/C compressor, wiper arms, radio ***** and hood latch you need. The hood hinges on my '68 were real weak (the hood wouldn't stay up all the way) and I found another pair right here at this site. I'd definitely get new weather stripping and Fusick has it. You might be able find an original trunk lock and get it re-keyed to you glove box lock, or you might get a new one and have it keyed to you glove box lock. In any case, this is about the best site you will find for free technical information and advice. Another great site (it costs a membership fee to join but it is worth it) is www.wildaboutcars.com. They have a ton of literature that is there for your downloading and use, including an outstanding print of the product information manual (AKA the assembly manual) for 1968 that is far better than the Millenium Industries version available on the internet. And, for parts, you might also try ebay. I'm a member of the Oldsmobile Club of America and they also advertise parts wanted and parts for sale in their monthly magazine called Journey With Olds. See www.oldsmobileclub.org. Here's the breakdown of your cowl tag:

12E = time build code = December (12), fifth week of that month (E), 1967.

ST 68 = style/model year = 1968

33667: 3 = GM division = Oldsmobile; 36 = model series = Cutlass V8 (not to worry here, some people think it should read 44 for 442 but the Lansing trim tags stayed with the Cutlass V8 designation on their trim tags for at least the 1968 model year); 67 = body type = convertible.

LAN = assembly plant = Lansing MI

230151 BODY = Fisher body number (absolutely no relation to the VIN)

TR 947 = interior color and front seat type = parchment in color with strato bucket seats

R-1 PAINT = lower body color (R) = scarlet; and upper body type/color (1) = white convertible top

I'd say it looks like you interior color and convertible top color have been changed from white to black.

Your VIN should look like 344678Mdddddd where each "d" is a number.

Have fun with your "new" car. Take advantage of the expertise that exists on this site. There aren't any dumb questions, although you may get a little ribbing from time-to-time! Enjoy!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0728111526.jpg (58.6 KB, 24 views)
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

^^^ what Randy said. The only comment I was going to make other than nice car with a few missing trim pieces was the VIN. If it starts with 344 you do have a 442. If not it's a tribute Cutlass wearing 442 numerals. Don't worry that the cowl tag doesn't show 344. Almost all the 68 442's had the cowl tags shown as 33ddd numbers.

In your case the 336 means the 442 would be based on the Cutlass with V8 instead of Cutlass Supreme, which was 342 prefix. Both body styles were identical in 68, and I believe only the interior trim was different. 68/69 shared a lot of similar side characteristics, but changed front and rear appearances. 68 was the last year of the dash located ignition switch.
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Welcome. I've also had good luck finding parts for both my '68 and my '69 at The Parts Place in Illinois, as well as Year One. They both carry big inventories and ship quickly.
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:11 AM

Fusiks is great! I've placed many orders with them a nd never disappointed. Ther are more than a few guys on here that are great to deal with if they have what your looking for.

Can be a little tough sometimes with the 68's to find parts.
That's a nice car you got there,welcome aboard.
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Nice! Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

Thanks for all of the info.. I'm going to check out the sites.

On another note, I am not too sure of my long term plans for the car.. But my goal is to get it roadworthy and get most of the accessories working... Then Probably enjoy it for a few and sell it...

Its funny a lot of my "non car" friends asked me why my car looks different.. LOL.. One of my other old cars is a 66 Red Impala Convertible.. I don't think they look that alike.. haha..

J
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
nice car

have radio ***** 68 only (not reproduced)
have hood springs 68 only (not reproduced)
may have latch as well trunk lock
have wiper arms as well

Wow! That would be great.. I have to contact the place that the car came from this week for them to "look around" and see if they can find anything.. if you want send me a PM with some pricing... But I'll definitely be in touch.. Thanks!

Also.. cant find the door interior armrests, door handle and vent window crank
Old January 18th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaybone
Wow! That would be great.. I have to contact the place that the car came from this week for them to "look around" and see if they can find anything.. if you want send me a PM with some pricing... But I'll definitely be in touch.. Thanks!

Also.. cant find the door interior armrests, door handle and vent window crank
Will send pm
68 window cranks are color specific so you need pearl which I have
Arm rests will check but the repops are not too pricey and are not bad
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Welcome, I'm in the Syracuse area. I've got a set of inner fenders that I'll separate as well as quite a few other little odds and ends if you're interested. I'm pretty sure I have armrests but no backer plates too
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Interesting

too bad it's not a real 442- you said it's auto trans, right? Real 442's have the manual trans.

just kidding
I too have an AT '68 442
and a few extra '68 parts

there are MANY differences between '68 and '69's, but also many similarities.