title questions GA

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2015, 06:54 AM

title questions GA

Hello Forum, this place has been an unbelievable source of information. so thank you for that.

I am looking at buying a 69 442, and the car has been repainted from Green to black, car seems clean and runs good. when i decode the VIN, it shows as a 69 442, which is good, i guess you can swap vin plates. I need to look at the block and tranny to make sure it is numbers matching...i hope to do this today.

What has stopped me from putting alot of work into this car is that fact the owner has a title and it states " rebuilt". i questioned this and he stated it was due to the fact that the Odometer couldnt be verified and when you bond an older title this is what they do?? i have never heard of such. so i contacted a bonding company and they said he was incorrect. Which i believe. my question is, is there away for me to verify this car was a total loss or if this was mistake on the title? i know on newer cars we run Carfax's, autochecks, these cars dont pop up due to age. Can some one help me? thanks again for any input.

i have a picture of what the title states......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
title.jpg (107.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by KDAWG97M3; January 7th, 2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old January 7th, 2015, 11:27 AM

I suggest you go to this page, click on "Georgia," and read the first few pages of the document.

http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Apparently "Rebuilt" is a valid type of title in Georgia. Here's the definition of "rebuilt" from the first page of the document, and apparently it doesn't take much for a vehicle to be considered rebuilt by Georgia DMV standards.

"Rebuilt Motor vehicle: Any motor vehicle which has been damaged and subsequently restored to an operable condition by the replacement of two or more major component parts."

There is a discussion on page 5 of the document about how to go about obtaining a "Rebuilt" title, but since this car already has a Rebuilt title, my guess is that you wouldn't need to do anything more than one normally would with a regular title to transfer ownership. To be sure, you might take that document to a local Georgia DMV office and ask, or call them on the phone.
Old January 7th, 2015, 11:40 AM

I appreciate your response and efforts in helping. I know what s rebuilt title is and how it works. My question surrounds the gentleman response as to why it has it. He is claiming bc he has bonded the title I haven't not been able to verify that. I am thinking this car was a total loss at some point but would the state have that records and be able to apply it?
Old January 7th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3
My question surrounds the gentleman response as to why it has it.
Does it really matter? As long as he legally owns it and can legally sell it to you, isn't that what matters? You can see for yourself what the car's condition is.

The car's history is something you may or may not ever find out. Many of us buy old cars without knowing much about them other than the previous owner's name. If that's important to you, then, yes, you may have to do some research, and the current owner may or may not be willing to be forthcoming about this, or he may simply not know. I know this is a 442, apparently, and with those, documentation is everything. But you're planning to determine for yourself if it's numbers matching, right? The VIN already supports that it's a 442. If the rest of your research agrees, isn't that sufficient?

I'm not sure what "bonding" the title means. "Bonding" normally means that a service provider has posted money with a third party to pay you in the event the provider harms you in some way. In the case of a title, I would take it to mean that the seller has obtained a form of insurance that the title is valid to recompense a buyer in case an unknown lien or something like that turns up later. In any event, it seems that the title being bonded is a good thing, not a bad thing, and the seller probably did it because of the "rebuilt" title and the unease that might cause a potential buyer, such as you are apparently experiencing.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
To be sure, you might take that document to a local Georgia DMV office and ask, or call them on the phone.
Yep. First you need to verify that it's legit. Then I'd worry about the other stuff. One thing seems certain; the owner is making stuff up.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Was this car totaled at some point? Probably. Of course you have to remember 30 yrs ago a 69 442 was worth about $500 as far as an insurance company was concerned. Why fix a $500 car with a $8oo repair. Person could have settled. Bought it back and fixed it. Just another used car. Now it has a rebuilt title that really only matters if you want to sell it. My car has a restamped engine probably due to warranty back then. It is what it is and it's an original dealer installed repair. To me it doesn't matter but I just can't say numbers matching when in reality it technically is. You have what you have if you buy it.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Does it really matter? As long as he legally owns it and can legally sell it to you, isn't that what matters? You can see for yourself what the car's condition is.

The car's history is something you may or may not ever find out. Many of us buy old cars without knowing much about them other than the previous owner's name. If that's important to you, then, yes, you may have to do some research, and the current owner may or may not be willing to be forthcoming about this, or he may simply not know. I know this is a 442, apparently, and with those, documentation is everything. But you're planning to determine for yourself if it's numbers matching, right? The VIN already supports that it's a 442. If the rest of your research agrees, isn't that sufficient?

I'm not sure what "bonding" the title means. "Bonding" normally means that a service provider has posted money with a third party to pay you in the event the provider harms you in some way. In the case of a title, I would take it to mean that the seller has obtained a form of insurance that the title is valid to recompense a buyer in case an unknown lien or something like that turns up later. In any event, it seems that the title being bonded is a good thing, not a bad thing, and the seller probably did it because of the "rebuilt" title and the unease that might cause a potential buyer, such as you are apparently experiencing.
good point, i guess my question is how much does the " rebuilt" status effect these cars...never had such with an older car..
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:48 PM

It would affect it quite a bit in my opinion. Might affect agreed upon value insuring it too. That would be my next call. It it was a 70 W30 4 speed a/c convertible nobody would probably care, if it had been repaired correctly. I would have to be comfortable with the price before forking it over and be ok with possible diminished value later. Investment? no. Unless it a rare car.
Old January 8th, 2015, 02:51 PM

Got it. I passed. The owner suggested that most people buy vin tags and can correct the issue. At that point I lost interest as that seems shady to even suggest it. So he withholding info.

Sucks bc I love the car 69 4 speed, not easy to find
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3
Got it. I passed. The owner suggested that most people buy vin tags and can correct the issue. At that point I lost interest as that seems shady to even suggest it. So he withholding info.

Sucks bc I love the car 69 4 speed, not easy to find
Two shady answers = run don't walk, hard car to find but there out there.