68 442 convertable suspension

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:04 AM

68 442 convertable suspension

Im performing a frame off restoration and during reassembly i am noticing the driver side of the vehicle is approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side. During reassembly i have replaced all suspension bushings shocks, and springs i have replaced the springs a second time suspecting one of the springs are collapsed. Can anyone guide me to finding the issue before the restoration was performed the vehicle was sitting level, are there any adjustments that im not aware about etc. Thanks for any inquiries and knowlegde that someone may be able to help me with
Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Is the body back on the frame? Make sure the frame is square and level. Sounds like it is but cant hurt to check. Tougher to do with the body on it. Make sure the springs are sitting in their respective pockets properly. Dont tighten any of the suspension bushings until the total weight of the assembled car is sitting on the frame with the body to frame mounts tight. Thats the body, drive train, interior etc...If you did tighten the suspension without the assembled weight of the car on it then loosen the front and rear upper and lower control arm bushings and see if it levels out. Then with the total vehicle weight on the chassis tighten it down again.
The chassis service manual will have the specs on what the corner tolerances are.

Last edited by droldsmorland; December 2nd, 2014 at 09:25 AM.