Power steering belt issue

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2014, 10:56 PM

Power steering belt issue

I'm restoring the 1968 442 convertible that my best friend gave me. It's in pretty good shape, but I'm replacing all the wear-out items (brakes, brake hoses, fuel lines, fuel pump, shocks, belts, hoses, etc.) and am having an issue with the power steering belt. No A/C, one belt goes from crankshaft pulley to water pump to alternator, and the other one goes from crankshaft pulley (different groove) to the power steering pump, and drives no other accessory. The problem is the belt on the power steering pump is only 1/4" wide on the outside, and mere 1/8" on the inside (the part that goes in the pulley groove). The belt has to be that narrow, as it very narrowly misses rubbing on the water pump pulley. I'm trying to find an exact replacement belt and the parts stores say they've never heard of a belt that narrow, even when I show them the belt I took off. I've done some research on this site, and even investigated the possibility of the spacers being missing behind the power steering pump bracket, but they're still there, and the power steering pulley and crankshaft pulley line up perfectly. Where can I get the correct, 1/4" narrow belt. Any input would be welcome. Thanks, Mike.
Old September 30th, 2014, 02:44 AM

I had a similar problem on a Holden I retro-fitted air-con to here. Went to a few car accessory places and no good.

I drove the car to a shop that sells farm equipment. They had a huge array of fan belts to choose from. Literary a wall full. These belts there were fan, drive, air-con, power steer etc etc for tractors, prime movers, cars etc. Yep, I found one after a little trial and error.

Just have to go a little further afield sometimes.
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:10 AM

The normal PS belt is similar dimensions as the alt belt only shorter... PS belt #GM 3848252. I don't have a car close by to give you a Dayco or Goodyear number.
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by kansjfr
I'm restoring the 1968 442 convertible... and am having an issue with the power steering belt.
No A/C,
one belt goes from crankshaft pulley to water pump to alternator,
=======================
good...

the other one goes from crankshaft pulley (different groove) to the power steering pump, and drives no other accessory.
================
Incorrect. Should pass over the 2nd groove in the WP pulley. Ck the assembly manual now READILY available at wildaboutcars.com, or,. better yet perhaps, buy a paper copy of a copy of a copy.... Belt #'s and PULLEY ID's will be listed.

The problem is the belt on the power steering pump is only 1/4" wide on the outside, and mere 1/8" on the inside (the part that goes in the pulley groove).
====================
Wrong belt, can't work in your grooves. Width matters.

The belt has to be that narrow, as it very narrowly misses rubbing on the water pump pulley.
===================
wrong belt routing. fix it the right way.
I have a database of known pulleys and water pumps. Let's see, for '68 No-AC, you should have
2-groove crank pulley KB 399402 = 6.4 x 2.2"
2-groove WP Pulley KE 399401 = 7.10 x 2.0"
1-groove PS Pulley KG 399403 = 5.72 x 1.42"

This will REQUIRE the use of the harder to find SHORT water pump at 5.1" length.
Possible castings:
[dot] - 398681 with 2" inlet nipple
[dot] - 384783 with 2" inlet
[dot] - 404584 with 2" ilet
"O" - 384786 with 2" inlet

If you use a different radiator lower hose as used on mostly 70-72 SB w/o AC apps, then a 1.75" inlet nipple 5.1" long WP is available:
"1" - 408328
[none?] - 408329
[dot] - 408328
and a few other variations.

Any parts store should be able to get you the WP you need if you ask for the WP for a '68 442 w/o AC.

Here is your KE WPP for DIRT CHEAP
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cutlass...0f1698&vxp=mtr

I'm trying to find an exact replacement belt and the parts stores say they've never heard of a belt that narrow,
====================
Sounds like an A.I.R. pump belt to me. Generally, the more power to transfer, the larger the belt. At some point it's better to move to multiple belts or a single flat multi groove belt as used on modern serpentine type belt systems. You probably want to stick with the known proven engineered system that your car came with, and has readily available parts that fit and work right.

Where can I get the correct, 1/4" narrow belt.
=================
contradiction of terms.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks, Mike.
==================
Belts 101 class is concluded. Go do your homework. Read chapters 3-6 of the assembly manual and do the first ten even numbered problems at the end of each chapter.
You may wish to also e-mail a proper request for my pulleys and WP database:

rocketscience443@hotmail.com <== Change the "443" to the obvious correct number before using this [spam protection for forum email link]

Make sure a good subject line is used so it does not get tossed out with the numerous daily junk emails. How DO they know I need ***** enlargement pills, anyhow??
:-)

Last edited by Octania; October 20th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.