Newbie looking at a 68 Olds 442

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Newbie looking at a 68 Olds 442

Hello everyone. I have been looking for a muscle car for sometime and a dad just showed me a 68 442 that is selling locally, but I do not know much about these cars. So looking for some feedback on what you think about this car. From looking at the VIN, it is a 344878m starting VIN. Here is what I know about the car being sold by a dealer, not a private owner:
1968 OLDSMOBILE 442 2DR GRAY Metallic WITH STUNNING BLACK INTERIOR.. BRAND NEW CARPET , VEHICLE WITH MANY MANY NEW PARTS SUCH AS NEW TIRES , NEW EXHAUST , NEW POLISH WHEELS ,NEW CARPET , NICE STEERING WHEEL , BRAND NEW SEATS, DOOR panels PeRFECT DASH,EXCELLENT PAINT JOB .. THE PAINT LOOKS AMAZING FROM ALL ANGLES , NO RUST , NO ACCIDENTS AND IT DRIVES GREAT. INTERIOR LOOKS INCREDIBLE ..ALL GLASS IS EXCELLENT , ALL TRIM IN GOOD SHAPE REAR BUMPER WILL NEED TO BE REFINISHE .. THIS IS AN ORIGINAL NUMBERS MATCHING VEHICLE !!!!! ENGINE SOUND AMAZING .. , NO AC! . CUSTOM MUFFLER , THE CAR JUST BEEN SERVICE ENGINE TRANY N BRAKES

More info that I received, the car supposedly was repainted about 4 years ago and also engine rebuilt. There is no rust and dealer says they couldn't find any bondo filler or if sheet metal was replaced. They are asking $14k for this car, and from the price book online it appears to be valued more, so I am not sure of the car. Let me know what you think and see from the car pictures. All your help is appreciated. Thanks
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:54 PM

Some more pics
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:02 PM

This car was on ebay, 344 in the vin def 442
Yes for that money I would buy it based on numbers matching( just confirm that w checking numbers on g block and tranny) and everything else in the description being true
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Overall does it look as a 442 should? Also what engines are in the 442 as the seller had no idea and just said its a 442 which from reading on this forum it's not correct. Thanks again
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Basically a decent car. Here's a few things I noticed

It's got a Cutlass S hood
It's missing the dash stripe
Doesn't have the right exhaust tips
missing the trunk lid lower trim
Missing the trunk emblem
Hood paint scheme isn't stock
Valve covers aren't right

The missing lower trunk trim is a indication that trunk lid was rusted at the bottom and they did a half-assed job fixing it. Look at it closely

Like all A-bodys, look at the base of the windshield for rust

The motor should be a 400 G block with the numbers 396026 behind the water pump

Last edited by allyolds68; June 25th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=hgiljr;715146]Overall does it look as a 442 should? Also what engines are in the 442 as the seller had no idea and just said its a 442 which from reading on this forum it's
not correct.
Thanks

In 68 should be a 400 g block check vin pad on engine underneath power steering bracket
Should start w 38 a letter or a number 1 then rest of digits should match cars vin number

Same applies for tranny
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Basically a decent car. Here's a few things I noticed

It's got a Cutlass S hood
It's missing the dash stripe
Doesn't have the right exhaust tips
missing the trunk lid lower trim
Missing the trunk emblem
Hood paint scheme isn't stock
Valve covers aren't right

The missing lower trunk trim is a indication that trunk lid was rusted at the bottom and they did a half-assed job fixing it. Look at it closely

Like all A-bodys, look at the base of the windshield for rust

The motor should be a 400 G block with the numbers 396026 behind the water pump
When you say rusted at the bottom, what part of the bottom, back bottom by hinge, or bottom where the lid meets the body? Any picture of what it looks like would be helpful. Also what's wrong with valve covers? Meaning after market or different year? So would you consider these deal breakers at this price or bargain negotiations to lower price further? Thanks
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by hgiljr
When you say rusted at the bottom, what part of the bottom, back bottom by hinge, or bottom where the lid meets the body? Any picture of what it looks like would be helpful. Also what's wrong with valve covers? Meaning after market or different year? So would you consider these deal breakers at this price or bargain negotiations to lower price further? Thanks
The biggest thing I'd check is the bodywork. The other stuff can be easily corrected. The trunk lids rust on the lower inside lip behind where the long trunk trim is supposed to go.
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:34 PM

I found pictures of original valve covers so I see what you mean. Is it possible to add ac to these cars and if so what's average cost?
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Power of the internet. Searching about these cars I find the previous owner for sale of the car For Sale is a real 1968 Oldsmobile 442 with a 400 ci engine and automatic transmission. I was told by the previous owner that it is the original drive train, I believe the vin is stamped on the block behind the power steering pump bracket but I haven't removed it to check. The engine has a casting number of 396026, which translates to a 1968 Oldsmobile 400. The car was painted about 5 years ago with a decent paint job, it's not perfect, but it looks very good. It's a very solid car with it's original rust free floor panels and trunk. The bottoms of the rear quarters look to be original with no signs of patches. It does have a spare tire and a jack. It was an air conditioned car but the a/c was removed at some point. It has a complete new interior, including seat covers, carpet, sill plates, headliner and door panels. The dash pad was replaced with a non-a/c pad, but I do have the original, cracked a/c pad. It has a fairly rare column shifter but I do have a floor shifter and console that will be included in the sale in case you want to convert it. This car runs and drives great, no rattles or squeaks and plenty of power. The transmission shifts nicely, with a little extra gas it chirps 2nd gear. It's a fun car to drive and attracts a lot of attention. It's a very nice, driver quality car at a low reserve. in Massachusetts and this is what they said:
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Just to add, it is missing all the peak trim and the chrome backplates on the interior door handles( unless these were an option)...decent price IMO
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about the selling price guides, go to ebay and look them up and see what they are really selling for then deduct what isn't right with this car.
I would leave it on the column and take any parts he is willing to give you and sell them to make some money back.
I found it hard to believe the car has always been rust free, but as long as the body work is in good shape who cares.
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:32 PM

Power of the internet. Searching about these cars I find the previous owner for sale of the car For Sale is a real 1968 Oldsmobile 442 with a 400 ci engine and automatic transmission. I was told by the previous owner that it is the original drive train, I believe the vin is stamped on the block behind the power steering pump bracket but I haven't removed it to check. The engine has a casting number of 396026, which translates to a 1968 Oldsmobile 400. The car was painted about 5 years ago with a decent paint job, it's not perfect, but it looks very good. It's a very solid car with it's original rust free floor panels and trunk. The bottoms of the rear quarters look to be original with no signs of patches. It does have a spare tire and a jack. It was an air conditioned car but the a/c was removed at some point. It has a complete new interior, including seat covers, carpet, sill plates, headliner and door panels. The dash pad was replaced with a non-a/c pad, but I do have the original, cracked a/c pad. It has a fairly rare column shifter but I do have a floor shifter and console that will be included in the sale in case you want to convert it. This car runs and drives great, no rattles or squeaks and plenty of power. The transmission shifts nicely, with a little extra gas it chirps 2nd gear. It's a fun car to drive and attracts a lot of attention. It's a very nice, driver quality car at a low reserve. in Massachusetts and this is what they said:
yes vin behind the bracket ,
where oil fill tube is should be a G if so Olds 400
I think its a good buy for the money
as Mike said the other stuff you can get after
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:04 AM

I found pictures of original valve covers so I see what you mean. Is it possible to add ac to these cars and if so what's average cost?
That car had A/C, the compressor is missing. The upper rad hose is installed end to end. Should have a four row rad in it cuz the top rad support is for a four row rad. Should have a condenser mounted in front of the rad for the A/C...look through the grille. On the dash, the heater control should read A/C.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:37 AM

The car definitely started out life as an A/C car, but like Yellowstatue noted, some of the underhood stuff is missing. At some point they also replaced the dash pad with a non-A/C dash pad. Your heater control should say Heater on the left and Air Conditioning on the right, unless they changed that out too. You need to go to Wild About Cars ( http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/ ) and they have the Assembly Manual and Chassis Service Manual online for free (just register, it's free). You will need both of those if you want to restore the A/C. Possibly the most expensive part of the whole thing will be the dash pad. Top condition A/C pads are rare. I have one that needs recovering if you decide to buy the car and want to buy the dash pad from me, PM me. Just Dashes in Cali does a great job on recovering the dashes, but they are expensive.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:56 AM

The door panel on the drives side lower should be carpet ...something looks to have been patched in there... under the hood it looks kinda shabby and dont believe anything the seller says unless you can confirm with your own mind.
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The door panel on the drives side lower should be carpet ...something looks to have been patched in there... under the hood it looks kinda shabby and dont believe anything the seller says unless you can confirm with your own mind.
Thanks. Are you saying this area on the picture attached should be carpet? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
door.JPG (38.0 KB, 33 views)
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:41 AM

And Yes I agree, the engine area bay looks messy, but will have a better idea once I see it in person.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Thanks. Are you saying this area on the picture attached should be carpet? Thanks
Pretty Sure, yes.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
Just to add, it is missing all the peak trim and the chrome backplates on the interior door handles( unless these were an option)...decent price IMO
I'm not a 442 expert, and I've seen those on several 442s, but my Cutlass does not have that chrome behind the door handle (nor the carpeted lower door panel). Could those door panels be from a Cutlass? It does appear to be that the lower portion has been recovered (much darker than the pleated portion above the trim).

Also, shouldn't the ***** on the window cranks be black? Mine are black.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
I'm not a 442 expert, and I've seen those on several 442s, but my Cutlass does not have that chrome behind the door handle (nor the carpeted lower door panel). Could those door panels be from a Cutlass? It does appear to be that the lower portion has been recovered (much darker than the pleated portion above the trim).

Also, shouldn't the ***** on the window cranks be black? Mine are black.
Being that the hood is from a Cutlass, I am sure they probably got a cutlass at some point to restore this 442. What about the seats and dash? Are those from a 442 or also Cutlass or they shared the same?

I just googled such door panels and I cannot see them with rugs, but I do see the chrome behind the door handle.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The door panel on the drives side lower should be carpet ...

Not on a 68 442. It's correct the way it is

All 68 442's had the chrome piece behind the armrest

I'd look at the bodywork very closely. With all the trim they've eliminated I'd be willing to bet they used gobs of body filler to fill all the holes. You may not see it when you look in the trunk because the repro 1/4 panels don't have the trim holes but the doors and fenders will have the holes filled in with something and I'll bet it isn't weld. Reach up behind the battery to the outside peak of the fender and you'll feel the gobs every 12" or so

Originally Posted by sammy

Thanks Ted. I can't believe I missed that the peak trim was gone

Just to give you an idea; the missing peak trim, wheel well opening trim, good trunk trim, trunk emblem and exhaust tips is going to set you back about $1k. Getting that A/C system back will probably run you another $1k

Last edited by allyolds68; June 26th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:44 AM

All 68 442's had the chrome piece behind the armrest

I'd look at the bodywork very closely. With all the trim they've eliminated I'd be willing to bet they used gobs of body filler to fill all the holes. You may not see it when you look in the trunk because the repro 1/4 panels don't have the holes but the doors and fenders will have the holes filled in with something and I'll bet it isn't weld. Reach up behind the battery to the peak of the fender and you'll feel the gobs
I know how to look for body filler using a magnet, another other suggestions?
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:51 AM

I know how to look for body filler using a magnet, another other suggestions?

Mirror and flashlight and get the car up on a lift
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks for that info.
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:29 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

That Lansing made 442 looks fairly rust free from the top especially if its a true Florida car. The gaps between the hood and headlights is a bit large but could be adjusted if it wasn't bent from a collision. Wrong wheels, or at min wrong trim rings. Should be bolt on center caps to be (closer to) correct. Cant tell if they're snap on or bolt on from the pics... 68 SS2s, had a shallow trim ring and a thin(ner) rim with the bolt on center caps. But Im not too partial to the early SS2s and prefer the look of the later wider bolt on cap SS2 and trim ring combo.
Looks like the 442 numbers on the front fenders are in the right position for the W36 stripe.
68 original front fenders will have only two hood hinge mounting locations where as 69 will have 3. So if you see 3 that's a definite sign the front end has been messed with.
The upper radiator hose is on Bass ackwards, just thought Id mention it so you can install the clamp that holds the hose to the upper core support if you buy it. Engine should be Bronze(copper) not gold. But that's just paint so long as the block matches the vin. The trans will have a partial vin stamped just above the pan rail on the drivers side. The tag on the passenger side should say OG. Dont scrape off the grease with a screw driver or use carb spray on it to view it.
What else does the trim (cowl) tag say? It will have paint and interior codes etc...on it.
If the frame, body (seams), floors, dash and rear package areas are Florida rust free and its major drive train parts match the vin its a 12-15K car all day. To correct everything thats not factory correct will set you back 5-10K+ all day if you do the work. If thats your intent (factory correct) look at a car thats not been so heavily tweaked. If your looking for a fun driver to cruse, personalize and dont care about the non-correct mods Id say good money spent. Check the front end carefully for frontal collision damage(frame horns, bumper mounting holes, core support and its mounts, rips & tears). With a new hood and that gap it may have been hit pretty good or it was just simple panel replacement for unknown reasons?
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the info. Yes I am not looking for a perfect car, especially that it will be my first 60/70 era car. Right now looking for something to enjoy on weekends and drive here and there to work. I will look closely at the front... As for the car, it is not an original Florida Car. It came from New England and I spoke to the seller that sold it to this dealer and he informed me that he got it from an older man that had originally restored it for his wife, but unfortunately his wife passed shortly after the restore.
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Better pictures of the front.
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Well everyone... I guess newbie is very thankful to you all. After hearing all the info, I found a site to do a vin check and it actually came back with history of the car. The car is listed as salvage records and cause of loss was collision on 11/27/85. On to continuing my search. Greatly appreciate everyone's help.
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:05 PM
72 Olds CS

that wouldnt stop me from buying a old car like this thats been repaired properly. In 85 its value might have been (a guess ) $6-800 a relatively minor accident could have totaled that car and anyone could have replaced the neccessary parts within that time frame (1985-2014) and have a perfectly servicable car.

more recently my newer car was totaled when repairs exceeded the value of the car(airbags and minor body damage) but the car was still good and drove fine, I purchased a high mileage car same make for cheap. i swapped the needed parts and continued drivng the totalled car w a salvalge title for several years before selling it.
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM

I agree but with what some of you have seen just from pictures, I am sure there is more underneath. I will still go check the car out, got nothing to lose I guess
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Right valve covers for a 400. Wrong colour....
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian Greg
Wrong valve covers they should be notched
Old June 26th, 2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian Greg

Not only are they supposed to be notched but the breather is supposed to be in the center
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:33 PM
72 Olds CS

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-matching.html

heres a nice 68 442 for sale that has most of the afore mentioned parts included w the car
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:49 PM

For 14K i'd expect everything under the hood to be there , work and look like new , the air alone will cost you over a grand to repair. From the looks of under the hood you will have to spend a lot to get it back to looking right. I'd try and get the price down just because under the hood looks like crap. Look at all the small stuff, I can see the wiper system isn't totally functioning and it looks like the master cylinder has a problem also. If the obvious stuff isn't repaired I'd be looking deeper at everything. Just my 2 cents.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

You don't have to go back all stock, i would get rid of all the air stuff and buy one of those firewall air delete plates from "The Parts Place" I have bought two in the last year and they work real nice and clean up the engine compartment to.
Make it a hot rod, something you did the work to not General Motors.
Too much focus on boring stock all the time.
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-matching.html

heres a nice 68 442 for sale that has most of the afore mentioned parts included w the car
Indeed a very nice car. too bad it is so damn far. Thanks again
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM

Then the factory installed the wrong covers on my 68?
Unlikely.
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:43 AM
72 Olds CS

Indeed a very nice car. too bad it is so damn far. Thanks again

fly in drive home, document the trip and post here, call it a vacation and get to know your new car on the way ...talk to the seller IDK the seller but based on his posts he appears to know cars and Olds well!

the internet makes a small world, I just sold a car to a guy in Ohio, I live in mass, his BIL picked it up for him on his trailer, he initally wanted to drive it home.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking at a 68 Olds 442