1970 442 engine compartment detailing photos

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM

1970 442 engine compartment detailing photos

I'm starting to detail my 1970 442 engine compartment with OAI, no AC non W-30 car. Can someone point me to or provide photos of a correctly detailed engine compartment?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Your best reference for everything except paint color and electroplating will be the factory assembly manuals. There's one for the whole car and one for the engine. Good but slightly grainy copies can be viewed at WildAboutCars. Reprints can be purchased if you want hardcopy.

As far as paint and plating are concerned, you need to look at original, unmomlested cars, not restored cars. Once it's been restored, it's not correct. Of course, some restorations are better than others; maybe someone will post some good pictures for you.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I have the assembly manuals already. Really looking for colors.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:30 PM

a great place to start is in the {major builds and projects} section. everything you need{pics} will be in there. look for 1970 442 restorations. if you read the threads you will see there are guys that love pointing out things that are not right. also will be discussions regarding what is correct and not. you should know upfront what look you are going for and STICK to it! if you are going for 100% factory correct get your wallet out and start crying now lol. you can make the engine compartment look very close to correct for a fraction of the price and only the die hards will know the difference. best of luck and enjoy.
Charlie,,,
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:39 PM

Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. As they say this isn't my first rodeo I believe the engine compartment to be pretty close now to correct, and I'm not going after that perfect 100 point car. However since I'm doing it, I want to do it as right as possible. I did peruse the major builds, but couldn't find what I was looking for yet. Need to look some more. I was really hoping someone could post some engine compartment pictures of a "correctly" done car.

Should be easier than doing my 32 Packard coupe roadster where only ~100 were built and about 10 are left.
Old March 1st, 2014, 01:35 PM

well if you want you can start with checking out my thread in major builds and projects. under "1970 442 pace car restoration" there are plenty of engine compartment pics. if you read the entire thread you will see the mistakes I made and had to go back and redo to get to a factory correct look. also member jensenracing77 has a build going on and is doing a fantastic job for sure with pics! keep a eye on that also!!! good luck.
ps, both those builds are on the first page as of now.
Charlie,,,
Old March 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Both threads are worth reading a few times.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:48 PM

Charlie,

I have read both forum and a lot of great details. I have a couple of questions. Should a 70 non W30 car have a painted manifold.

What is the correct color of the alternator pulley, fan and nut?
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:57 PM

Intake manifold is painted.
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply on the manifold.

What about the alternator?
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Alternator, not painted.
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM

intake question already answered ,should be cast iron painted engine color. {mine is a w-30 alum intake, not correct} alt not painted and the pulley and nut/washer should be silver zinc. have not gotten around too changing mine out yet as they are not correct.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
intake question already answered ,should be cast iron painted engine color. {mine is a w-30 alum intake, not correct} alt not painted and the pulley and nut/washer should be silver zinc. have not gotten around too changing mine out yet as they are not correct.

The alternator fan should also be silver zinc, correct?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:53 AM

Here is a couple pics of mine as of today. Not sure if it is 100% correct but it is close. It is pics of my 1970 442 W30. The thread is under Major Builds and Projects. Good luck with your detailing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-03-22 15.30.17 small.jpg (89.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg
2014-03-22 10.42.59 small.jpg (101.8 KB, 232 views)
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:07 AM

X2 on the silver zinc or cad on the alt fan + hardware. It always kills me, if I go to a local cruise or small show they all have gold fans. It's because they didn't restore the alt, they just bought it at Auto-Zone or whatever. Then...people, even some judges think MINE is wrong. I call it "gold fan syndrome". Scott, it looks good, but if I were judging it...I would deduct for the missing rad cap and upper rad hose. lol
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks. Got the correct zinc alternator fan, pulley and nut already bought. why do people paint them gold. Was that another year?

Also the flaps for the inner flaps that cover the A-arms. Does anyone of porper installation of those. I bought repo ones as mine were misisng.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Scott, it looks good, but if I were judging it...I would deduct for the missing rad cap and upper rad hose. lol
Hahaha That is funny. I was wondering why there is always antifreeze on the ground by my car...lol

Originally Posted by tbirdman
Thanks. Got the correct zinc alternator fan, pulley and nut already bought. why do people paint them gold. Was that another year?

Also the flaps for the inner flaps that cover the A-arms. Does anyone of porper installation of those. I bought repo ones as mine were misisng.
You have to drill the holes for the staples and bend them by hand. I did all mine on the red inner fenders. Time consuming though.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:12 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nrestored.html Try this link for some pics of a low mile 442. This car is at my shop currently. So I might be able to get more pics if you need them. ~BOB
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by tbirdman

I removed the old staples and inserted the new staples in the same holes and bent by hand. What a PITA, but they looked great. Of course the wells were out of the car.