1968 interior question

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM

1968 interior question

Hi--

I have a question about my '68 442's seatcovers. A little history first. I am the 3rd owner of the car. The person who had the car before me was the original owner's son, so this is basically a 1 family car. The son swears the interior is original. However, based on what I've seen and read, the interior to me is NOT original. I've sent the pic below on to Legendary Auto Interiors and it was identified as a 1969 GTO interior. It's all black interior with front bench seat with headrests.
backseat.jpg

So, basically, the question is this: Seeing as this is clearly not the normal diamond-patterned vinyl, could this be the Y78 "Royal Interior" package? I've never seen it, so I have no idea. I guess there is a possibility these covers could have actually existed in '68. I think the original owner worked at a dealer back in the day, so I would assume his options could be wide open. (although I'm still leaning towards this NOT being the original interior)

Just want to clear this up before I tear it out at some point.

Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Oldsdruid

The Royale interior was available only on Ninety Eight Luxury Sedans. Those are Pontiac A-body seats. It's possible, but improbable, that the assembly plant goofed and installed the Pontiac gut especially if it came from a Buick-Olds-Pontiac assembly plant like Atlanta or Arlington, but it would have been a sloppy dealer indeed who let it get past new car inspection. Or as you suggested it could have been done at the dealership after delivery, so there may be a GTO owner owner out there going .

I ordered a 1984 TransAM (only way to get the 5-speed, and even then it took forever) and it came in with one TransAM fender and one Camaro fender, complete with Camaro script and sans TransAM vent. I wouldn't accept the car, reasoning that if they were that sloppy assembling it, it was likely to be a lemon, and I wasn't about to have a new car that had to have major bodywork before I even took possession of it. Salesman told me later that the car had created a big stink in the Pontiac sales organization, especially since it was a customer order instead of a dealer stock order.

So yes, factory goofs did happen.
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM

Haha. I would have loved to see that car. Just think of the "rarity" value it'd have now. Haha.

Thanks for the confirm. In the end, I really like the diamond pattern seats, so I'll be going with the proper seat covers in the future. These are fine for now--bunch of other stuff to do on the car first.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I ordered a 1984 TransAM (only way to get the 5-speed, and even then it took forever) and it came in with one TransAM fender and one Camaro fender, complete with Camaro script and sans TransAM vent.

So yes, factory goofs did happen.
If the shoe fits, wear it. I'm willing to bet that they were running low on green interiors.

My 85 Delta 88 came brand new off the showroom floor with one royale brougham door panel, and one royale door panel.
Also, one steel bumper insert and one aluminum insert. Every other one of these cars I've seen, have matching panels and inserts.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM

Tom,

Here's a pic of my 68' Cutlass S. My front seat came from some other A body type car and my back seat was correct. I really didn't know the history of the car all I new was that it was a comfortable seat.

What's your front seat look like?

008.jpg
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Yeah I don't sweat interior stuff so much. No one should be looking in my car anyway
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Past Administrator

Dan,

That is the pattern I am familiar with but don't know for how long it was used, '68, '69, to when???
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:11 AM

Dan,

I think 68 and 69 had the same pattern, I'm not 100% sure. I have only owned 68'

That's my favorite year.

Dan