help me save my Grandfathers 442

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by cole9953
so ill be driving out to see the car this weekend.

can tell me where different casting marks can be found?

1. the block...on the flat shelf above the H20 Pump below the intake. That will give you the block family. The SN for the block is drivers side front where the head meets the block you will see a flat. Bring brake cleaner, flash light, mirror rags and a scraper. You may need to get under the car and view the number under the power steering pump. That number should correspond with the vin to be a number matching block (last 6 digits should match last 6 of vin).

2.the heads...You will see a large letter cast into the front or rear of the head E, F, G etc...There will be 6 digits cast into the heads in the middle above the exhaust manifold that will ID the head as well.

3. intake mani...on top should be obvious.

4. carb. Drivers side rear of air horn stamped vertically on the horn 7020251 as an example. The date code will be on the throttle plate driver side rear. The accelerator bracket may obscure it somewhat Its a Julian date. Google Quadrajets for pictures.

5. tranny...The SN will be along the pan rail. It should also match the last 6 of the vin. And there will be a large tag riveted to the passenger side. Grab those numbers too...BE CAREFUL wiping it down. Dont scrape or use chemicals.

6. rear end...if legible... upside down on the passenger side tube facing the front. Two small letters.

7. where in the bay is the body tag. Raise the hood and look at the drivers side firewall up by the wipers.

8. any thing else i should look for in order find out exactly what this car has... Yes the Vin......?

Last edited by droldsmorland; May 24th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM

have the vin and the broadcast sheet already, but those did not give any info other than yes its a base 442 and where and when it was made, and color
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Olds Nut

Attaching myself
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:29 AM

I did not make it to the car this weekend, but my father did and these are the only numbers he came back with.

he said the intake manifold was cast iron not aluminum, and he did not get a number off it.
VIn is 344870M125850

off the block above the water pump -396021 F
off the rochester quad -7040251 RJ 2069
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM

all signs point to base.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM

yep, numbers are all base 442 - but awesome car none-the-less!!
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM

so awesome news from my dad, he is thinking about buying the 57 and he already has the truck so a new garage is in the works!

he already has a three car garage built onto the house but that houses the 2 dailys a golf cart and mower. so he is thinking about a new 14,000~ sf detached garage room for 2-3 cars a workshop area and one very tall bay to fit his airstream trailer. hopefully i can convince him to put in a lift as well.

now i will have a proper place to work on the old cars as well as mine, and freinds/ families cars.
I'm the guy everyone i know calls when something is wrong with their car....
Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Old School Olds

So Cole, any updates?
Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM

Crazy that you ask I just drive out to the car about 2 hours ago. Probably going to dump a buch if pictures tomorrow
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Subscribed, looking foward to the pictures. I'm not a 442 expert, but some things pertaining to muscle cars transcend brands. I agree 100% that the color, auto trans, and factory A/C don't exactly enhance the value, and I suspect that the "multiple 100K" offers may have grown some with time as many old car stories often do. There're a lot of people that remember their 15 second cars from the 60's as being 13's now. The Barrett Jackson comparison posted earlier is I think a good indication of the value and when you factor "Barrett Jackson bucks" into the equation it was probably realistically a 20K flat car, which is were I would have guessed at it. Whatever the value, it's probably worth much more to family members as a memorial than the dollar value since it's not an ultra rare collectible. In my warehouse of old junk I still have my Grandfather's 71 Chev. pickup truck and my Grandmother's 68 Buick. I'll probably never restore either, or even try to crank 'em again, but they'll never get sold in my lifetime. Unfortunately my grown kids and now grandkids don't have any interest in old collectible cars, so I guess there'll be an auction when I croak and the money will be blown on depreciable assets such as the latest in electronics and new cars.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Smile help me save my Grandfathers 442

Well I am the Aunt that kept the car and there was never a question about the car leaving the family! I was with my Dad when he picked it up! I was just directed to this site today by a friend (small world)!

I drove the car from Louisiana to Richmond, Texas yesterday, Aug 17, 2014, and she runs like a dream!!

The only thing that looks a little out of kilter here is that I paid the estate for the car and I suggested I pay $40K! Apparently no one in the family told me about all the experienced car buffs on here and that the possiblity of it being worth only $30K. I thought it was worth about $80K and I was getting the family deal! Boy was I wrong!!

Regardless, this car is mine and will stay with me and will be well taken care of and will be shown in car shows as soon as i get her settled in her new private garage that belongs to me!! This Forum was very very enlightening for me! Happy Driving!

Deb
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Deb442
Well I am the Aunt that kept the car and there was never a question about the car leaving the family! I was with my Dad when he picked it up! I was just directed to this site today by a friend (small world)!

I drove the car from Louisiana to Richmond, Texas yesterday, Aug 17, 2014, and she runs like a dream!!

The only thing that looks a little out of kilter here is that I paid the estate for the car and I suggested I pay $40K! Apparently no one in the family told me about all the experienced car buffs on here and that the possiblity of it being worth only $30K. I thought it was worth about $80K and I was getting the family deal! Boy was I wrong!!

Regardless, this car is mine and will stay with me and will be well taken care of and will be shown in car shows as soon as i get her settled in her new private garage that belongs to me!! This Forum was very very enlightening for me! Happy Driving!

Deb
If you are ever looking for a local opinion on anything about the car, or just want to talk to a very long time Olds nut, just drop me a line. Noticed you mentioned driving it Richmond and it just so happens that where I am (for the last 11 years). There are a number of Olds folks around Houston that can be great references if you need it...

Al (Pecan Grove, TX)
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:30 PM

Hi AL

That would be great. I am in long meadow farms. But am moving in sept across the street to Waterview subdivision. I appreciate that I do need to know what is, around here!

Thanks.

Deb