Last 1972 W30 built??

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Last 1972 W30 built??

Does anyone know what the latest production w30 would have been? I have located a July 6th, 1972 build car. Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:31 PM

You gotta be close!
We've got the last known LS 6 Chevelle, build date 7/16/70!
Another built that date has a VIN about 135 numbers earlier.
Last 3 of the VIN is 450, which we feel is too coincidental!!
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM

I bet that information is not around to prove what day is the last but that has to be close to the final W30s made
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM

I would be curious what the down time was for re-tooling to switch to the new 1973 body style? That combined with the 73 production run start up date might give a clue.
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:28 PM
same but different

I would think a July build date is pretty late in the year. Sorry, I do not know of any source this information might be recorded.

The re-tooling time was probably typical of any other build year though...politics and times were a changing.

There is the exception..The story I've allways heard was about the strike by autoworkers in 72. It pushed back the introduction of the of the new body style by one year. Thus, all the previous generation tooling/parts were used.

In other words, 1972 was sceduled to debut the new body style but the strike caused gm to continue to build last years model..with a few cosmetic improvements. before it (new bodies) could be implemented smoothly.
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Last X code

I have documentation from GM of Canada showing that my 72 W-30 car is the last W-30 car imported into Canada. GM of Canada can verify this since no other X code vin cars were imported after mine (GM of Canada has documentation for every car built in USA for original sale in Canada).

My car was built June 29 1972. Your car was built a week later. I have the VINs for about 50 72 X code cars & all were built prior to mine. There is a car in BC that was in the Calgary area 15 years ago that was built June 28th & is roughly 340 unit before mine.

I recall speaking to someone at GM many years ago & they had told me then that production ended the 1st week of July to allow for tooling up for the 73 model year cars. Your car built July 6th must be one of the very last X code cars produced if not the final one.

Could you list the options on the car please? Not expecting you to share the VIN at this time for obvious reasons but could you state wether this is a Cutlass or a Cutlass S or a Cutlass Supreme convertible based X code car. Improbable that this is an X code Cutlass Supreme Hardtop since that would mean it would also have to be an HO & although they do exist you did not mention anything about this X code car being an HO.

Congrats on your find...I will have to edit my signature on all the Olds forums now since I no longer have the last X code car built. If you have an opportunity to purchase this car let us now how it plays out. Looking forward to pics.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; December 19th, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM

W-30 registry

FYI there is a W machine registry here

http://www.wmachineregistry.com/
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM

You can't go by the VIN numbers, as they varied from plant to plant!
Different plants started with different numbers - ie; 100000, 200000, etc. so the vins DON'T coinside throughout the year, just within that plant, for that model!
The highest VIN on that build date, in that plant, wins!
In '70, they shut down the K.C. Chevy plant after the 2nd weekend in July, to accomodate vacations. Opened the 1st week of August for changeover, as the '71's were scheduled to begin September 1st, earlier if the changeover was ready!
At least that's how it was explained to me, by someone who worked at the plant at the time.
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM

but all the W30s were from Lansing, same plant, so there should be some rhyme to the sequence number
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Missed that - you're right!
There was 5-6 plants building LS-6's!
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I bet that information is not around to prove what day is the last but that has to be close to the final W30s made
Oh Ye of little faith.

I have some limited production figures, but I can tell you this:
There were 2 1972 W30s produced in July. Both were Cutlass S models, but I can't tell if if they were the hardtops or posts, or one of each.

*Generally* speaking for the '60s ans '70s, first of production was first of August, and last was into the first week or two in July.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM

bump

bumping this back to the top....any more information on this X code car?
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I have documentation from GM of Canada showing that my 72 W-30 car is the last W-30 car imported into Canada. GM of Canada can verify this since no other X code vin cars were imported after mine (GM of Canada has documentation for every car built in USA for original sale in Canada).

My car was built June 29 1972. Your car was built a week later. I have the VINs for about 50 72 X code cars & all were built prior to mine. There is a car in BC that was in the Calgary area 15 years ago that was built June 28th & is roughly 340 unit before mine.

I recall speaking to someone at GM many years ago & they had told me then that production ended the 1st week of July to allow for tooling up for the 73 model year cars. Your car built July 6th must be one of the very last X code cars produced if not the final one.

Could you list the options on the car please? Not expecting you to share the VIN at this time for obvious reasons but could you state wether this is a Cutlass or a Cutlass S or a Cutlass Supreme convertible based X code car. Improbable that this is an X code Cutlass Supreme Hardtop since that would mean it would also have to be an HO & although they do exist you did not mention anything about this X code car being an HO.

Congrats on your find...I will have to edit my signature on all the Olds forums now since I no longer have the last X code car built. If you have an opportunity to purchase this car let us now how it plays out. Looking forward to pics.
This is actually a car that was bought new by my dad. The original paperwork on the car says Model is 3687. Order date of 06/13. Trim 940. Color 56 56. Production date 07/06. This is not a post car. Here are some pics.

P1130997201.jpg
P1130990201.jpg
P1130992201.jpg

Last edited by g356gear; December 12th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM

option list

Super stock wheels
turbo auto trans
power windows
power steering
tinted windows
floor mats
power trunk
power disc brakes
rear window defroster
block heater
radio
stereo tape
bucket seats
custom sport wheel
tilt wheel
roof drip moulding
sill moulding
clock
wood grain trim
hurst console
conv group
cruise control
performance package - w30
air shocks - delco

Base price $3,932.00 + $2,376.95 = Total price $ 6,308.95 less $808.95 discount. Total cost $5,500.00

Last edited by g356gear; December 12th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by g356gear
option list

Super stock wheels
turbo auto trans
power windows
power steering
tinted windows
floor mats
power trunk
power disc brakes
rear window defroster
block heater
radio
stereo tape
bucket seats
custom sport wheel
tilt wheel
roof drip moulding
sill moulding
clock
wood grain trim
hurst console
conv group
cruise control
performance package - w30
air shocks - delco

Base price $3,932.00 + $2,376.95 = Total price $ 6,308.95 less $808.95 discount. Total cost $5,500.00
Thanks for posting. A very nice well optioned 72 W-30.

Please fill out your signature & tell us where you are.

Also where was the car sold new?

Finally you are misreading the first part of the VIN....it reads 3G87 not 3687.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; December 12th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sweet ride Glad to hear you got your Dad's car back where it belongs
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks for posting. A very nice well optioned 72 W-30.

Please fill out your signature & tell us where you are.

Also where was the car sold new?

Finally you are misreading the first part of the VIN....it reads 3G87 not 3687.
Edmonton,Alberta. Sold new at Don Wheaton on August 29th,1972. The VIN is 3G87X but the paper slip from olds is typed with a 3687.

Last edited by g356gear; January 3rd, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Sweet ride Glad to hear you got your Dad's car back where it belongs
I wish I had the car in my possession. Shortly after dad passed, it was sold out of the estate by his new wife of 3 years. She did it before I was able to get a court order to lock everything down until things could get sorted out. I know where the car is and it is in good hands. I could buy it back, but with 6 month old twins at home, it's a tough spot to be in right now financially. I can't sacrifice the well being of my kids for a car that will sit mostly in my garage.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM

more info

Edmonton,Alberta. Sold new at Don Wheaton on August 29th,1972. The VIN is 3G87 but the paper slip from olds is typed with a 3687.
20 years ago GM of Canada sent me a copy of my options sheet. On the cover letter it reads that my car was the last X code car imported into Canada. Since mine was built 8 days before yours' was built then the GM documents are clearly wrong. Just shows that GM of Canada is not always correct when it comes to these docs. Sad news for me but c'est la vie! On the plus side I do still have the last 4 speed X code car in Canada & possibly the last 4 speed car built.

My front vanity plate reads LAST W-30.....it has been on the car since 1995. I guess I can remove that now since your car is the true heir to that throne. If you get that car back let me know & I will give you the plate.

The 3687 is a typo on the GM oc Canada docs. More evidence of mistakes.

Don Wheaten delearships must have been busy at the end of 1972 model run. My W machine is from Don Wheaten in Regina SK.

DSCN6728.jpg

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; December 12th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks Dave.

It was a funny story that dad told me when he went to Don Wheaton to look for a car. He had just sold his 66 vette and was looking for a family car. He never intended to buy an Olds but was looking to buy a big block Chevelle to pull the holiday trailer. While at the dealer he saw a young kid pull out of the lot in a brand new green W30 convertible. He liked the look of the car and asked if they had any others available. They checked stock and they had this yellow car over at their off site storage lot. He was a little reluctant because it was a black interior with no A/C but they drove over to 99 street to take a look anyways. Dad drove the car and loved it so he bought it. He never actually factory ordered the car and just happened to get it out of the dealer stock. I was 4 months old at the time.
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Still great history. Maybe one day it will be in the cards for you to own, but you are right the kids do come first
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM

more

Thanks Dave.

It was a funny story that dad told me when he went to Don Wheaton to look for a car. He had just sold his 66 vette and was looking for a family car. He never intended to buy an Olds but was looking to buy a big block Chevelle to pull the holiday trailer. While at the dealer he saw a young kid pull out of the lot in a brand new green W30 convertible. He liked the look of the car and asked if they had any others available. They checked stock and they had this yellow car over at their off site storage lot. He was a little reluctant because it was a black interior with no A/C but they drove over to 99 street to take a look anyways. Dad drove the car and loved it so he bought it. He never actually factory ordered the car and just happened to get it out of the dealer stock. I was 4 months old at the time.
I am wondering if that convertible you mention was Pinehurst Green. There was a 1972 W-30 convertible in southern SK in the early 1990s. It was in the Regina area. It sold around 1993 & went to the Lower Mainland in BC. I know it was an automatic with white stripes but can not recall the interior color. Maybe it was the car that your Dad saw.

Did your Dad ever put a trailer hitch on his W-30?. My 4 speed car had one & I have had 2 other 1972 442s plus a U code Cutlass that all had hitches put on them for pulling holiday trailers.

Since no optional gear ratio is listed your car has the 3.42 gears (with positraction ofcourse). I am surprised that the Rallye Pac was not optioned on that car. The cruise control is certainly unusual on a 72 W-30. The floor mats, rear defrost & block heater are typical options on our cars in our Northern climate. Mine does not have the rear defrost.

You mention that you could buy the car back. Might I ask is the car still in AB & is it roadworthy? I have never seen it at any of our Olds events.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; December 12th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:27 AM

I am wondering if that convertible you mention was Pinehurst Green. There was a 1972 W-30 convertible in southern SK in the early 1990s. It was in the Regina area. It sold around 1993 & went to the Lower Mainland in BC. I know it was an automatic with white stripes but can not recall the interior color. Maybe it was the car that your Dad saw.

Did your Dad ever put a trailer hitch on his W-30?. My 4 speed car had one & I have had 2 other 1972 442s plus a U code Cutlass that all had hitches put on them for pulling holiday trailers.

Since no optional gear ratio is listed your car has the 3.42 gears (with positraction ofcourse). I am surprised that the Rallye Pac was not optioned on that car. The cruise control is certainly unusual on a 72 W-30. The floor mats, rear defrost & block heater are typical options on our cars in our Northern climate. Mine does not have the rear defrost.

You mention that you could buy the car back. Might I ask is the car still in AB & is it roadworthy? I have never seen it at any of our Olds events.
I am not sure on what green the car was, but dad mentioned it was a very young kid that had bought it and had just picked it up as dad was arriving. Seeing that car swayed him from buying a Chevelle.
Yes, he bought the car to tow the holiday trailer. I have photos of the car all hooked up in 1973 with the trailer and the big extendable fender mounted mirors.
There was no rally pac, but dad did buy an aftermarket gauge set and mounted it under the dash to monitor the vitals during towing.
Dad drove it around the block every couple of years but it hadn't been road registered since the early 80's. The car is still in Edmonton. The current owner has been getting it tuned up, rebuilt the carb, etc. It saw a little use this summer, maybe 500 miles but he typically doesn't do the car show thing with his cars.

Last edited by g356gear; January 1st, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM

You guys should bring both cars to Olds, AB. for the Rocket Round up on July 20.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:44 AM

Cool cars, have you guys actually compared VIN#s of these two W30s? How close are the VINs and what build weeks are listed on the body tags?

I haven't seen any actual build dates listed on any paperwork - where is this 07/06 date listed? Is it possible it's an arrived at dealership shipping date?
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM

The original Olds data sheet (kind of like the protecto-plate) lists the build and order dates in separate boxes. Here you can see the order date and production dates listed.

photo_zps31c47dcf.jpg

Last edited by g356gear; January 2nd, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM
this is stressing me out

Oldsmobiledave, you seem to have a wealth og knowledge regarding these cars. Do you specialize in just canadian models or all?

g356gear, I hope you can aquire this car and give it the proper restoration it deserves.

Originally Posted by Rickman48
You gotta be close!
We've got the last known LS 6 Chevelle, build date 7/16/70!
Another built that date has a VIN about 135 numbers earlier.
Last 3 of the VIN is 450, which we feel is too coincidental!!

Did you hear about that fake LS6 busted at Mecum that would have made it the last production LS6? Was recent.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:58 PM

So it looks like the individual who bought the car out of my dads estate was in it for the flip to make some cash and has sold the car again. He sent me a photo of it on the carrier but no info on where it is going. If you guys hear or see anything if you could let me know where it is it would be appreciated. Thank you.

image_zps056e2fd4.jpg
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM

sad news

Very sad news. I hope it goes to a good owner. I was hoping to have a crack at this car. Guess I will have to wait & see where it pops up.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:05 PM

big bummer but who knows what life changes came his way as well. you certainly will have a few folks keeping an eye out for you.
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
big bummer but who knows what life changes came his way as well. you certainly will have a few folks keeping an eye out for you.
I am just glad it went to somebody different, as in my view, this guy was not a true Olds enthusiast and didnt appreciate the car for what it was.
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:21 PM

damn man that is a bummer...to be so close to it but yet so far.
Old March 7th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Bump for updates or sightings......

Last edited by g356gear; March 12th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Update

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post873107
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:53 PM

Interesting to see how this develops. Sounds like she may have been located.
Old November 16th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Maintained

http://fatlipresto.com/for-sale/

Thinkin this is the car

1972 Oldsmobile, 442, W-30, Survivor, All numbers matching, Auto, PS, PB, Cruise, 44k Miles, All paper work, $38,000
W30 yellow
Call 218-844-5331 for more information.
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Yes...that looks to be her.
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:35 PM

Looks like it sold for the asking price of $38K USD.