Any Exhaust recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:00 PM

Any Exhaust recommendations?

I am looking to change out my exhaust on my 71 442. Any suggestions?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Randy C.

I know several people who have said nothing but the best about Gardner exhaust systems.

I bought the exhaust system for my '68 4-4-2 from Brothers Automotive Products. I've heard both pro and con about BAP but I had pretty good luck with them. I wanted an exhaust system that looked and sounded like the original system and the BAP product did the trick. One little problem, though - the driver side exhaust pipe (manifold to muffler) didn't fit quite right. Fortunately, I know an exhaust guy - he took a look at it, put it in his pipe bender and made a couple of every so slightly bigger bends and, presto, it fit like a glove.

For my '69 4-4-2 and my '71 Corvette, though, I'm going to Gardner.

Randy C.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:42 AM

Torque Tech
Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:31 AM

Gardener is pricey, but installs with no fuss [ did mine while it was sitting on her ''skates''.] Good sound [very close to factory tone] and no drone at cruising speed.All in all, it depends how much you care to spend.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM

I considered the Gardner system but ultimately went with the Factory-correct system from Inlinetube after seeing how nice it was after installing it on my friend's '69 H/O. The appearance, detail (like the flat side of the left engine pipe to clear the A-frame mount just like the factory), installation and sound is PERFECT. At $760.00 it's not cheap but a little less expensive than the Gardner system (and comes with EVERY clamp, hanger, bracket, bolts, etc.) but I couldn't be happier and highly recommend it. Also Gardner needed 6 weeks and the Inline system was in my driveway 3 days after ordering it.

Last edited by mmurphy77; November 3rd, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM

pics

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have additional pics of your car. I notice we both have the same car. I would like to see more of the engine compartment specifically, from your signature pics it looks real clean. Always looking for ideas. I can't seem to find the factory air cleaner anywhere. Thanks again.
Matt Redmond

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
I considered the Gardner system but ultimately went with the Factory-correct system from Inlinetube after seeing how nice it was after installing it on my friend's '69 H/O. The appearance, detail (like the flat side of the left engine pipe to clear the A-frame mount just like the factory), installation and sound is PERFECT. At $760.00 it's not cheap but a little less expensive than the Gardner system (and comes with EVERY clamp, hanger, bracket, bolts, etc.) but I couldn't be happier and highly recommend it. Also Gardner needed 6 weeks and the Inline system was in my driveway 3 days after ordering it.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 1971 Olds 442
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have additional pics of your car. I notice we both have the same car. I would like to see more of the engine compartment specifically, from your signature pics it looks real clean. Always looking for ideas. I can't seem to find the factory air cleaner anywhere. Thanks again.
Matt Redmond
PM sent
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM

I went with the Pypes system because I wanted stainless. Sounds good with Dynomax mufflers but I was not happy with the fit. Had to heat and hammer a flat spot to clear the control arm mount, and I still have to play around with the RH tailpipe to get it to line up with the cut-out. (I think the pipe is bent wrong, It's not a perfect mirror image of the LH, which did fit well.) Right now I can't recommend it.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
delete

I think there are a lot of options out there depedninmg on what you are going for. Some more details on your car & priorities will prob help people drill down to what you really want.
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:35 AM

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=79491

Check out D & A Automotive...BIG fan of the way my new system fits and sounds!
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
442=A perfect 10

Had mine custom made by Henry's Muffler of Raleigh. 2.5 in with balance tube, flowmasters and stock tips and welded throughout. Sweet sound and the car runs great at the dragstrip with optimum performance.

GOG
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM

you can check out waldron voe set up was a pontiac option but the in line tube boys used it on there w-31 aluminum 350 project . The humbler add can be seen on you tube also.

Last edited by firefrost gold; November 20th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Too bad you're in FL. I have a Flowmaster system that will be going to a junk yard next week.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by frankr442
I went with the Pypes system because I wanted stainless. Sounds good with Dynomax mufflers but I was not happy with the fit. Had to heat and hammer a flat spot to clear the control arm mount, and I still have to play around with the RH tailpipe to get it to line up with the cut-out. (I think the pipe is bent wrong, It's not a perfect mirror image of the LH, which did fit well.) Right now I can't recommend it.
Same thing here, but i still like them. I have a 3 inch kit on mine and came with mufflers off of summit. On a good side note, Pypes does make a nice oldsmobile tips i would look at
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM

http://waldronexhaust.com/ The VOE or DCE are on here. Read that inline
used this one their car's with a garder down and tail pipes they were done
a few years ago and waldron picked up were jim hand and I dont remember who else was working on them and put them in perduction.
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Gardners out of New York. Original pipes
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Gardner is THE only way to go. I have purchased about 7 systems from them for different makes and they are top notch. they now offer a turbo style muffler with a bit more throat to it vs the originals are fairly quiet. Used a competitors this year from a supplier mentioned here and we had to send it back 3x due to improper fitment. Should have and will stick with gardner.
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Exhaust system

I just finished installing a Pypes 2.5" system on my 70 convertible and was very happy with the fit and finish, no issues at all. I used their Race Pro mufflers as well. The pipes exit perfectly in the bumper cutouts and their is adaquate clearance at all interference points. I will be taking pics this week and will post them.
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM

I have 2.5 pypes system on my 442 it fits great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWjHo80sBc
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Cool """""

Gardner for mine. If you looking for stock (borned with) they are the way to go. Super easy installation.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:02 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by oregontopcat
I just finished installing a Pypes 2.5" system on my 70 convertible and was very happy with the fit and finish, no issues at all. I used their Race Pro mufflers as well. The pipes exit perfectly in the bumper cutouts and their is adaquate clearance at all interference points. I will be taking pics this week and will post them.
Can you remember which kit it was for the rear cutout bumpers. I have been looking at the SGA12R. On the Pypes site there is a footnote for the 442s with cutouts to use this. I have the cutout rear bumper on my Cutlass so I would think I should order that. Other reseller websites and an a live guy on the phone disagree.

That's why I am curious which kit you used.

Adam
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM

To sicky olds, oregontopcat and 2olds, I'm glad you didn't have to fight with your installations. I used kit# SGA30 per Mike at Pypes. My biggest complaint was with the LH pipe to the manifold. They should know how much space there is between the control arm bracket and the starter. Offering those downpipes was the main reason I went with Pypes. When it gets warm enough, I'll loosen up the entire RH side and take another shot at fitting the tailpipe to the cutout, but the measurement to the first bend is different than the LH side, which fit well. Maybe I'll find out how good their warranty is. I really want to like this system. I did order the trumpet tips, but I'll put those once I get the pipes lined up.
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM

I'm also very interested in this. I really like the performance and quiet of the Dynomax 17749 mufflers; wondered how they would work with the pypes 2.5in exhaust. Are the only fitment problems up at the exhaust manifold? I will still have to fab custom to my header/cat setup, so that's not a problem. Anybody speak to the magnaflow system?
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM

I used Gardner on my GTO fit and sounded perfect.I'm planning to use them for my 442. I hope they have the same quality chambered tail pipes as the previous system I bought.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I'm also very interested in this. I really like the performance and quiet of the Dynomax 17749 mufflers; wondered how they would work with the pypes 2.5in exhaust. Are the only fitment problems up at the exhaust manifold? I will still have to fab custom to my header/cat setup, so that's not a problem. Anybody speak to the magnaflow system?
The Dynomax 17749 mufflers sound great and I've never felt so much exhaust flow out the tailpipes, even after going from headers to factory manifolds. RH muffler was very close to the pinion flange. I don't know if it's wider than the Pypes mufflers the system was designed around, or if it's because I think I have a bad RH tailpipe. If you have room for it, you'll like the Dynomax mufflers. You mentioned a cat, so I don't know what you're working on.
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1971 Olds 442
I am looking to change out my exhaust on my 71 442. Any suggestions?
It depends on many factors such as:

1. Is your 442 original, go with OEM or reproduction OEM exhaust.
2. Are you looking for power? Go with headers, cutouts (manual or auto), x or h crossover & larger diameter pipe.
3. If keeping your 442, replace exhaust once using stainless steel.
4. Is sound important, listen to sound samples of different mufflers currently on the market.

Personally speaking, I would go with:

1. Stainless steel exhaust
2. Diameter of pipe is dependent upon engine upgrades. Stock is 2 1/4" however 2 1/2" is a common upgrade. Don't go too large or you will hurt performance, you need back pressure.
3. X or H crossover pipe. This balances exhaust pressure.
4. High quality muffler otherwise you will replace frequently.
5. Get clamped exhaust not welded so you can repair your own exhaust.
6. Most important, purchase exhaust created by Mandrel bend machine.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Wraythe; December 7th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM

I went with the 2 1/2" Pypes with Racepro mufflers and X pipe system. Fit great on my 70 442 with manifolds and sounds good. I got it at Summit.

PYE-DOF10S DOWNPIPES

PYE-EVT34 (PAIR) EXHAUST TIPS

PYE-SGA10R DUAL EXHAUST