"CARS-ON-LINE" INSPECTION ON A '71 442 CONVERTIBLE

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2007, 02:02 AM

"CARS-ON-LINE" INSPECTION ON A '71 442 CONVERTIBLE

I just thought I would give all of you Olds guys a "heads-up" about an inspection service I recently hired through "Cars-On -Line". The cost of the service is $275.00 and is worth every penny. I found a 1971 Oldsmobile 442 big-block convertible(Stock #265) at Black Tie Classics located in Stratford, NJ. The car looked impressive in the photographs, and I was seriously considering it. The inspection was performed professionally and promptly. Within 2 days, I was forwarded an 11 page report with photos detailing every part of the car, including how it performed during a test-drive. The asking price of this car originally was $48,900.00, then was "reduced" to $45,900.00 as shown on Black Tie Classic's website. The report I received appraised the car at $17,850.00. The car was found to have an excessively thick layer of undercoating hiding rust and sloppy repairs, "bondo" used on the doors and quarter panels in a mediocre fashion, mis-aligned body parts, including a poorly fitting reproduction "ram-air" hood. The rear wing was also noted as a reproduction held onto the car with generic screws. The horn does not function, radio speakers sound poor, the driver's side mirror cannot be adjusted, heat doesn't work in the "high" setting, an "after-market" tachometer is installed where the clock should be ...... I could go on and on but I think you got the message. Photographs of cars always look great until you see them up close, especially by a professional with a "trained-eye".
Never buy any classic car sight unseen, and consider using the "Cars-On-Line"
inspection service as an insurance policy to protect you against unscrupulous dealers or individuals that are out to "rip" people off.
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Past Administrator

That car was highlighted over at ROP, and it was meticulously picked apart there as well. Many of the items were identified as incorrect by the photos, as you noted, such as the tachometer. I agree with you, $275 is a small price to pay to avoid a $40,000 mistake in investment. It may even be a good price to pay before buying a $6,000 daily driver or project car. Thanks for the info.
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM

'71 Olds 442 convertible

Hi Dan,
You mentioned the car was highlighted at ROP. Iam interested in knowing what ROP is. Is it a website? I would enjoy reading their remarks about this car. Thankyou for e-mailing me.
Regards,
Robert
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Past Administrator

Realoldspower.com

it's a good place to visit, they have a big membership there and lots of motor heads.
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Here is a link to their website. It is a good website just make sure you don't say anything wrong like:

I bought this Ford the other day.
Can I put a Chevy engine in my Olds?
Will adding a K&N air filter to my 88 Delta 88 give me 60 extra HP?

If you say something like that they will crucify you.

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/index.php
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:34 AM

MR. "DIEHARD" BRUCE WILLIS VS. BLACK TIE CLASSICS

I recently read on the Internet that movie-star Bruce Willis has filed a lawsuit against Black Tie Classics about a grossly mis-represented late-60's Pontiac GTO he purchased. Just type in Bruce Willis and Black Tie Classics on the net and you will see various articles on this story. It makes for interesting reading, as well as being a real eye-opener for someone contemplating purchasing a classic car from one of these "dealers". Somebody was watching over me, and I am breathing a sigh of relief that I didn't fall into a "trap" by purchasing a "headache" from those guys.
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

Yes I read about that one.

BTW I saw some pictures of his two daughters Skip or Scout or something like that and Tolalooly or something. They both look like their mom.
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM
"me somebody" site member

A professional inspection / appraisal sounds like a good idea, but if you are spending ANY kind of serious cash for a classic vehicle, I'd suggest going and seeing it in person. Even if it means jumping on a plane. Even if you know someone very well and value their opinion when it comes to cars, you might not want to put that kind of trust in their hands. Nevermind a total stranger. I don't feel very sorry for Bruce Willis, considering he apparently didn't make any effort to check out the car. That's because I made the same mistake myself once, bought a car sight unseen off Ebay, and I reserve my pity for myself! What a mistake.

As for ROP, this was starting out to be such a pleasant thread...
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM

From what I read in various articles concerning Bruce Willis, he and/or his representative wanted to have the GTO inspected but were talked out of it by Black Tie Classics owner who insisted that it was not necessary since the vehicle was in pristine, museum-quality condition. When I was investigating the '71 Olds 442 convertible on Black Tie Classic's website, I actually drove over 100 miles to see it firsthand. I noticed a few obvious faults like rust "bleeding" through the paint and a mis-aligned hood. I decided that hiring an expert to point out everything wrong with the car was the next best thing to do.