70 442, comments? can anyone decode the body tag?

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM

70 442, comments? can anyone decode the body tag?

Here she is, I got her rolled off the trailer at a friends house, once i get the pieces im missing, ill roll her into the shop and start working. Kind of an oddball car, being column shift and what not. any chance someone can tell me what the body tag means? also I know this isn't AMAZING, but the title is dated 1984

338881_10150791199080158_733490157_20811095_2470624_o.jpg

334065_10150791199230158_733490157_20811099_6910206_o.jpg

312114_10150791199300158_733490157_20811100_8091351_n.jpg
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM

wow, that's a very early build car 4th week of September (9D) and 00284 is the sequence number

14 is Platinum, juat checked not white - oops- and the B is black top

Last edited by stevengerard; September 5th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:39 PM

09D means 4th week of September build date. That would be September 1969, so this was built relatively early in the 1970 model year.
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:50 PM
"Car"mudgeon

70 = 1970
344 = 4-4-2
87 = 2 dr hardtop fast back coupe
BF = Fremont, CA assembly plant
00284 = Unit #
930 = Black interior with strato buckets
B80 = Exterior Drip Scalp Mouldings
14 = Platinum Lower Body Color
B = Black Vinyl Top
09D = Sept 4th week build date '69
039799 and 300535 are assembly plant designation numbers specifically for Fremont plant and may correspond to certain boxes on actual build sheet.

Old September 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM

wow you guys! thank you for the speedy reply, and information! im gonna try to get her back together and on the road. the right quarter is solid, the driver side has a hole through it, the floorboard is good except for under the dash driver side, the worst part is the trunk, the lid needs replaced, the lip where the trunk seal goes is rotted, and so is the trunk pan. i can get a lid and trunk pan im sure, anyone have any idea how to do the lip for the seal? its really to bad the original engine and trans is gone, hopefully the rearend is factory.
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
70 = 1970
344 = 4-4-2
87 = 2 dr hardtop fast back coupe
BF = Fremont, CA assembly plant
00284 = Unit #
930 = Black interior with strato buckets
B80 = Exterior Drip Scalp Mouldings
14 = Platinum Lower Body Color
B = Black Vinyl Top
09D = Sept 4th week build date '69
039799 and 300535 are assembly plant designation numbers specifically for Fremont plant and may correspond to certain boxes on actual build sheet.

Scott, any idea what that '4' is? (just to the left of the BDY) looks like it was punched from the front instead of behind. Haven't seen this before

It looks like a good rolling chassis to start building from. It's an early production car for 70.

(edit) I wonder if the 4 wasn't added to the Body number because someone screwed up making the cowl tag? There should be 6 numbers for the body, but only 5 were punched from behind. Your thoughts?
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
It looks like a good rolling chassis to start building from. It's an early production car for 70.
hey thanks, that was my thought, i have my 455 and TH400 in my other car that will go in this one, i also have a buddy with a rotisserie im gonna beg to see if he will let me use it, to prop the body up. i really want to do this right... but i also want to make it a bit unique, for example, the car came with a split bench in it, loose. it factory w buckets, but its also a column shift car, split bench would be fun for any girl who wants a ride in a real car! also, i think it would be really neat to get a couple core bumpers blasted and painted to match, kinda rallye 350 style, except not the yellow lol. its really too bad most of the drivetrain is missing, it would be worth a lot more, but i also want to make this car MINE, because im never gonna want to get rid of it, oh, the black dash pad is mint too :P im off to a good start :P
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
..............., i think it would be really neat to get a couple core bumpers blasted and painted to match, kinda rallye 350 style, except not the yellow lol............
Why bother? You know you can get fibreglass bumpers (front/back) and fenders, hood (Heck you can even get a solid fibreglass front clip) if you're planning to keep the weight down. Have a look: http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm You can customize it with 70-72 parts of your choice. Then it'll really be a one off. Hey, if it's your car, you can do what you want with it. Bonus about fibreglass - it never rusts. I won't put it on my car, but that's just me. I'm kind of old school with an understanding that everyone has a choice.
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Lance

Scott, any idea what that '4' is? (just to the left of the BDY) looks like it was punched from the front instead of behind. Haven't seen this before

(edit) I wonder if the 4 wasn't added to the Body number because someone screwed up making the cowl tag? There should be 6 numbers for the body, but only 5 were punched from behind. Your thoughts?
Allan, my Fremont 03D build of 1970 has a "1" stamped horizontally in the same area.
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I've seen them as well, and I think it pertains to Fremont builds only.
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Why bother? You know you can get fibreglass bumpers (front/back) and fenders, hood (Heck you can even get a solid fibreglass front clip) if you're planning to keep the weight down. Have a look: http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm You can customize it with 70-72 parts of your choice. Then it'll really be a one off. Hey, if it's your car, you can do what you want with it. Bonus about fibreglass - it never rusts. I won't put it on my car, but that's just me. I'm kind of old school with an understanding that everyone has a choice.
i might actually go with the fiberglass bumpers, and a fiberglass hood. i still want regular fenders though, cause i dont want to use a pin on hood, and someone will lean against the car, its a given fact. lol
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM

I wonder if the 4 wasn't added to the Body number because someone screwed up making the cowl tag? There should be 6 numbers for the body, but only 5 were punched from behind. Your thoughts?
Different Fisher Body plants did things differnently. Not all plants stamped stamped the full 6-digit body number. They only needed enough digits to keep each body straight from any others built recently or in the near future. The Lansing plant was cranking out about 10,000 cars a week in 1970; I assume other GM plants were not too far off that pace. So 5 digits is more than enough to differentiate the bodies.
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Registered Thread Killer

Jerimiah, You can get a tilt front end at usbodysource. Although it is '71-72. They have lots of Cutlass fiberglass.

Brian, my Fremont built 'S' has a 2 stamped in that same spot (in the event this is of any concequence)
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mfgusa
Jerimiah, You can get a tilt front end at usbodysource. Although it is '71-72. They have lots of Cutlass fiberglass.

Brian, my Fremont built 'S' has a 2 stamped in that same spot (in the event this is of any concequence)
i saw that, thought about going that route, its really too bad im not anywhere near florida, i believe thats where they are located, they have a one piece front end for half off if you pick it up.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM

tech question, cant get the driver door open, from inside or out, theres no door panel on the door, anyone have any good ideas on how to get the door open?
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Ive seen those weird stamps on pontiacs, and the consensus its a delivery month and is struck by the selling dealership...some have month some have day and month...may not be the same thing on an Olds, but thought it was worth mentioning...it has something to do with the floor plan of the dealer ship..

an old timer that used to actually strike the stamps spoke up...

i dont know if works out for the Olds' but its a conversation starter for sure..
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM

so eager to get started on this car, im about to help a buddy build a rotisserie, that way we can put this body up, and fix the rust. then i need to decide on whether or not i want a fiberglass front clip, or find all the pieces for the front end. either way i have to find grills and headlight stuff. oh well, im sure thats a few months off at the least. i just really cant wait to take this thing out, and smoke the camaro's and other hot rods around here with this thing.
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

tech question, cant get the driver door open, from inside or out, theres no door panel on the door, anyone have any good ideas on how to get the door open?
If there's no panel on the inside of the door, reach inside and pull the door latch rod to the right (drivers side, to the left on passenger side). Should release the door catch.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:17 AM

If there's no panel on the inside of the door, reach inside and pull the door latch rod to the right (drivers side, to the left on passenger side). Should release the door catch.
ill try that, i was pulling on everything when i was in there last, ill take all the junk out of the car and get in right next to the door (was reaching through the open window) and see what i can do, hopefully the latch isnt broken, dont feel like trying to find a door also.
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM

I know this is technically the wrong section for this, but you guys know of anyone who would be interested in this car? I know this is gonna sound backwards, but I really want an Omega. 73-74. I have just been up and down with trying to find parts, and money, and I got a good look at an Omega the other day, and I honestly would rather mess around with an Omega, so. Ill trade this, and some cash for one. Or if anyone wants to offer me something for this 442 ill entertain any offer. Its sitting in my buddies field. I just dont have enough room for both.
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I know this is technically the wrong section for this, but you guys know of anyone who would be interested in this car? I know this is gonna sound backwards, but I really want an Omega. 73-74. I have just been up and down with trying to find parts, and money, and I got a good look at an Omega the other day, and I honestly would rather mess around with an Omega, so. Ill trade this, and some cash for one. Or if anyone wants to offer me something for this 442 ill entertain any offer. Its sitting in my buddies field. I just dont have enough room for both.
No problem. Just post it in the For Sale section.

Sad to hear that this isn't going to completion - it's a really nice car to clone especially since it was a 442 to start with.

I get the Omega idea. They also share a lot of similar body parts with Buick, Chev and Pontiac. But they also have some rather unique parts too. Maybe when you get done messing with the Omega you'll resurrect this one??

BTW, don't leave it sitting in field. Make sure it's got gravel under it or plant growth under the car will carry moisture up to the frame/metal parts and rust it to oblivion. I'd also tarp it to keep the weather out of it. Hope there's someone who is looking for a project.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Where are you located???
I might be interested in a '70
442 to go with my '71 C/S...
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM

The comments earlier in this thread about the odd stampings on the cowl tag got me to wondering about the Fremont built '70 post 442 I just bought. I do not have very good pics of it and what I do have is very difficult to read but it looks like B-4. The dash and 4 are pretty clear but not so sure on the B. Never did really find any resolution to this mystery?
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:33 AM

This is a picture of the tag from my 69 442 post. From my understanding, the number punched is what line it came off. Could be myth?? You can hardly see the 1 by BDY.

Rick

Last edited by 37OldsCoupe; December 14th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 71 sienna supreme
Where are you located???
I might be interested in a '70
442 to go with my '71 C/S...
ellensburg washington haha