Transmission shifter cable replacement question

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Transmission shifter cable replacement question

I am replacing the shifter cable in my 69 442. Center console shifter. Question I have is what is the function of the rod which goes from the transmission shifter bracket (where the cable attaches to the transmission) and runs up to the steering column? I have searched through the factory assembly manual and can find how the rod is installed, but I cannot find any mention as to what the rod is called (equalizer?) or what its function is. I would like to know this before I install the new cable in case it has some effect on the adjustment of the cable. Any help from more knowledgeable 442 folks would be appreciated.

EDIT: I think I found the answer in a previous thread. It is the backdrive linkage which has something to do with the steering column lock, backup lights, and not letting the car start except in Park or Neutral. Don't think I should have any trouble from this linkage while installing new cable.

Last edited by weasel; February 8th, 2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Found answer in another thread