1966 Tri-Carb Oil Fill Tube & Fuel Bowl

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2010, 08:54 AM

1966 Tri-Carb Oil Fill Tube & Fuel Bowl

My 1966 Tri-Carb car does not have what seems to be the correct taller oil fill tube and has an aftermarket fuel filter. My question is: Is the tall oil fill tube and fuel bowl & bracket unique to the Tri-Carb setup or were these also used on other vehicles? I'm having a hard time finding the correct parts. My email is oldjunkster@aol.com
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by oldjunkster
My 1966 Tri-Carb car does not have what seems to be the correct taller oil fill tube and has an aftermarket fuel filter. My question is: Is the tall oil fill tube and fuel bowl & bracket unique to the Tri-Carb setup or were these also used on other vehicles? I'm having a hard time finding the correct parts. My email is oldjunkster@aol.com
yes, fuel bowl and bracket are unique to tri carb applications. the oil fill tube is 10.5 inches tall and is the same as on the california cars i believe.
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM

I have a few oil fill tubes, NOS and used. They have been going for $60 used when I see them (I haven't sold any of mine). The fuel bowl (glass) is probably the same as some other early 60s stuff but I haven't seen anything else that uses the same cast top. The bracket is also unique, I believe. I only have a little bit of such stuff and am amazed at how much it brings on ebay so haven't made any decision about keeping or selling. I doubt if many people bought this stuff in the 1970s like I did.

The glass bowl filter would be significant for a restoration, but there are a lot of fittings to leak, potentially.
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:11 PM

double post

Last edited by Octania; March 16th, 2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: meh cannot delete
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM

I have made a few of the long oil fill tubes, back between jobs. Sold 'em for $50 typically. Long PITA process. One even got chromed. They looked stock except for the slight seam inside. SW cars with AC are another source for these tubes.

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
I have made a few of the long oil fill tubes, back between jobs. Sold 'em for $50 typically. Long PITA process. One even got chromed. They looked stock except for the slight seam inside. SW cars with AC are another source for these tubes.

Old November 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM

Octania, I would like to purchase the oil filler tube for a 1966 442 tri carb. I'll pay you $50 for one welded together or two 2 that are standard length. Please reply
Blaze442 rdblazes@yahoo.com...................you can call me at 815 212 4773

Last edited by blaze442; November 19th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM

I still have a few used, and some NOS, filler tubes.
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Run to Rund, I would like to purchase 2 oil filler tubes from you for the 66 442. What are your prices on the used and the nos? I'm not familiar with this forum, never used it before. How do we set up the purchase? I need the 10.5 inch tube and will piece two together from the standard tubes. Thank you for your rapid reply.............Blaze442........................ ..........You can call me at 815 212 4773

Last edited by blaze442; November 19th, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM

1966 442 fuel filter bowl

Originally Posted by 66trakpak
yes, fuel bowl and bracket are unique to tri carb applications. the oil fill tube is 10.5 inches tall and is the same as on the california cars i believe.
I have a fuel filter bowl that has 1/8 in. pipe thread for the inlet and outlet. I was told that this is for the 1961-64 Starfire. I was at the Muscle Car Nationals in Chicaago today and seen two 1966 442 tri carb cars and the fuel filter bowl had the same top as the one that I have. I was told that the 442 bowl had a round top, not square like mine. The one's that I saw today had the square top. Couldn't tell if it had 1/8in. or 1/4in. inlet and outlet. Can you help me on this issue. I'm putting together a tri carp and want it right. Blaze 442
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:12 AM

I have seen round bosses and square bosses, but all Tri Carb fuel filter tops have 1/4 NPT threads for the line fittings.
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by blaze442
Octania, I would like to purchase the oil filler tube for a 1966 442 tri carb. I'll pay you $50 for one welded together or two 2 that are standard length. Please reply
Blaze442 rdblazes@yahoo.com...................you can call me at 815 212 4773
I quit making those after I got a real job, and the supply of $1 used tubes dried up. When you have to spend $20 for two new tubes just to start the process, the cost of the finished product cannot be $50. Find a nice used one from a SW car that had AC.
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Octania, it is all drying up
The only used Tri Carb 10.5" long tube I have left is with a complete Tri Carb setup that will get sold someday, I hope. I have a couple NOS ones, believe it or not, that I bought in the early to mid 70s.
The boneyards have long ago crushed cars of the 60s era, except for a few yards out in the sticks with mostly rusted out, picked over stuff. A few packrats like me and you have about all that is left.
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:09 PM

fuel filter bowl

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I have seen round bosses and square bosses, but all Tri Carb fuel filter tops have 1/4 NPT threads for the line fittings.
Run to Rund, thank you for your reply...........Blaze442
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM

double wire hose clamp

Hey guys
Does anybody know wear I can find the proper hose clamp for the fuel bowl Bracket that mounts to the oil filler tube? 2" is too big and won't close up enough and the 1 1/8" is too small and won't open up far enough. I see them on other cars. Any help? PS I have not found any 1 1/2"
Guy
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:03 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by blaze442
Run to Rund, thank you for your reply...........Blaze442
Many years back, I was able to "simulate" a correct tri-carb oil filler tube by using two widths of copper tubing found at Home Depot. I took my "tophat" filler cap with me, and found a diameter of tubing that fit tightly into it (i.e. same diameter as the filler tube on my car). I then found a slightly narrower diameter of tubing that fight tightly inside the wider tubing. I cannot recall the diameters, but I was able to buy rather short lengths in the plumbing dept. The narrower tubing (you only need several inches length) fit inside the "shorty" (non-tricarb) oil filler tube, and the wider tubing fit over the excess narrow tubing that stuck out. Cut the outer tube to length and paint to match. I found it fit very tightly and was very stable. As for the seam where outer tube butt up against the original oil filler tube, it was perfectly hidden by the hose style clamp used for the "outrigger" fuel bowl bracket. No one, even the "experts" ever noticed in the 7 years I owned the car. If nothing else, my approach can serve as a stop gap measure till you find the right piece.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; January 15th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Following auction is for what appears to me to be the correct tri-carb fuel bowl. Hard to tell form the pics, but my recollection is that the "boss" under the rounded threaded top section is hexagonal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/oldsmobile-4...p2047675.l2557

The bowl, as well as the correct tri-carb bell crank were reproduced at one time, I think by a guy named Mike Siedlik. Here's his website; the parts I mention are not listed but could not hurt to ask him about them:

http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com/realoldsmobile.asp

Finally, for possible interest, below are specs for re-bending a 4bll 442 throttle arm to resemble the correct tri-carb piece (info came directly from Curt Anderson; I did this and again, no one ever seemed to know, and you KNOW Olds guys love to point out "incorrectitudes"):

"The tricarb linkage rod has two bends in it. A 10 degree bend in front
(just behind the threads) and a 25 degree bend about 4.375" behind that.
The 4-bbl and 2-bbl linkage has a smaller angle at the 25 area which makes
those linkages shorter than the tricarb. The angle makes the linkage less
susceptable to jambing at wide open throttle."
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

Hi Guys
Mike Siedlik here.
I got monies out for another run of:
3x2 Fuel Filter tops.
Correct fuel bowl bales
Correct fuel bowls.
Correct steel and copper fuel line sets.
3x2 throttle rods.
4bl throttle rods.
4bl bell crank on fire wall(stick car).
3x2 fuel filter bracket on oil tube.
Still trying to find some to make the long oil tube.
Got to find the right company that has a swege(?) machine and I don't need to buy 500+ pieces.

Some of these items within 2-3 weeks others 8 weeks.

Will keep you guys posted on times and prices.

Thanks, Mike
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Mike,

a hearty thank-you for taking on such projects, and more.... a dirty job, and really nobody HAD TO do it, but you stepped up. It sure beats the alternative, which when I started collecting my L69 pieces, was Starfire glass bowl fuel filters, IF those could be found.

5:18 pm today:
Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Following auction is for what appears to me to be the correct tri-carb fuel bowl. Hard to tell form the pics, but my recollection is that the "boss" under the rounded threaded top section is hexagonal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/oldsmobile-4...p2047675.l2557
8 pm today
Over already?

"Bidding has ended on this item."

Winning bid:US $411.00

"Inline fuel bowl for tri crabs used on 1966 442 with L69 engine. used condition. "

Also, a shameless plug for my last remaining LOFT
buy it for $25 less if you DO NOT go thru ePAY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151184090366...84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by Octania; January 15th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Seemed so obvious that I posted an auction ending back in November of last year just to show what a correct fuel bowl looked like (and might be expected to cost) that it would go without saying. But thanks for saying.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Banned

Thanks Chris
That's a pain in the butt job of making two oil fill tubes into one. Tried that and didn't have much luck. Not a bad price for the work and skill to make one look right.

Mike
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Seemed so obvious that I posted an auction ending back in November of last year just to show what a correct fuel bowl looked like (and might be expected to cost) that it would go without saying. But thanks for saying.
Evidently my screed does not show me the ending date of the auction.
Browser diffs perhaps?
Maybe it was off the right side of the screen, they like to do that to me.
So, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me. [in a funny way, not to be taken as insult]

Thanks, Mike
I doubt that I will make any more LOFT's unless I get another line of a couple dozen cores to work with. Part of the problem is the 68-76 or so tubes have that number stamped in, which is even more work to fill and smooth over. And, I no longer have ANY shop to work in.

The copper tubing route looks like a great idea.
I would like to see a photo writeup on that.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Shoveling Snow

Mike what is the OD and ID of the top and bottom of a fill tube? I need accurate #s.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Don't be too quick on reproducing the oil fill tube. . .I have one used and 3 NOS left to sell, lol.
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:46 PM

Back in Nov. and not having too much to spend. I went to my local bone yard to see if I could find some oil filler tubes, got lucky found three (all they had). What I did is I took a tubing cutter and cut up the leat desireable tube to make my extentions. I had a machinst buddy make me a couple sleeves to fit inside the tubes 1/16 thick wall(tight tight fit) slide them together and welded them up then turned the welds down on a lathe and polished them up. As for the minor pitts from age in a junk yard I sprayed multiable coats of primer sanding between coats to fill the pitts. You cannot tell that they were welded unless you look down the tube and unless your a real good friend you never will. IF I CAN DO IT ANYBODY CAN. just saying. Guy
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Work in progress

Fuel bowl

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Don't be too quick on reproducing the oil fill tube. . .I have one used and 3 NOS left to sell, lol.
Still have the oil fill tube available? If so, what are u asking? Also looking for the complete fuel bowl assembly if you have any ideas
Thanks
Rick
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Fuel bowl

The fuel Bowl is going to be the hardest to find (original one). But I hear though the grape vine that Mike Siedlik (thegoodoldsdays.com) is looking to make exact repos of them. Check with him if not try to find something on ebay look for something that has a rectangle top piece with a 5/16 threaded
hole on top for the bracket. Guy
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rpalframan
Still have the oil fill tube available? If so, what are u asking? Also looking for the complete fuel bowl assembly if you have any ideas
Thanks
Rick

You have artistic license to use a generic AC filter bowl (available new in the trifive chevy and corvette worlds) as even a correct 66 filter won't be correct on a 65 442.

Henry
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:57 AM
Work in progress

Very observant sir!
Thanks for the tip Henry (that will save me a ton)..... Are the dimensions the same? Any idea of which ones will work and who has them?
Rick
Old March 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
Work in progress

Originally Posted by Mikes442
Hi Guys
Mike Siedlik here.
I got monies out for another run of:
3x2 Fuel Filter tops.
Correct fuel bowl bales
Correct fuel bowls.
Correct steel and copper fuel line sets.
3x2 throttle rods.
4bl throttle rods.
4bl bell crank on fire wall(stick car).
3x2 fuel filter bracket on oil tube.
Still trying to find some to make the long oil tube.
Got to find the right company that has a swege(?) machine and I don't need to buy 500+ pieces.

Some of these items within 2-3 weeks others 8 weeks.

Will keep you guys posted on times and prices.

Thanks, Mike
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:00 AM
Work in progress

Hey Mike
Any news on the repro fuel bowl assemblies or fill tubes yet or do you happen to have any left over?
Thanks
Rick
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rpalframan
Very observant sir!
Thanks for the tip Henry (that will save me a ton)..... Are the dimensions the same? Any idea of which ones will work and who has them?
Rick

Go to ebay motors and search

corvette fuel filter -(ford)

As of 10 minutes ago you will get 198 items must be 40 or so of the glass bowl ones being offered, many for less than 50.00

Henry
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:12 AM
Banned

Hi All
First off, the filter tops, still look like about 4-5 weeks away. Where I am having them made they have been getting so much snow that he has been having a skeleton crew and getting behind.
The fuel lines are in.
The fuel bowl bracket I need to plate. Gray.
Have a supplier, I think, on the bracket wire hose clamps. ?
The Tri-Carb rods are finished and need to plate. Gray.
Have some bails ready.
Have some A/C fuel bowls.
Have some old style(like brown stone) fuel filters.
Working on the drivers side slide linkage(correct looking)
Finishing up on the 4 barrel rods.
Finishing up on the 4 barrel bell crank.

Mike
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:17 AM
Work in progress

Originally Posted by Mikes442
Hi All
First off, the filter tops, still look like about 4-5 weeks away. Where I am having them made they have been getting so much snow that he has been having a skeleton crew and getting behind.
The fuel lines are in.
The fuel bowl bracket I need to plate. Gray.
Have a supplier, I think, on the bracket wire hose clamps. ?
The Tri-Carb rods are finished and need to plate. Gray.
Have some bails ready.
Have some A/C fuel bowls.
Have some old style(like brown stone) fuel filters.
Working on the drivers side slide linkage(correct looking)
Finishing up on the 4 barrel rods.
Finishing up on the 4 barrel bell crank.

Mike
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM
Work in progress

Great news Mike
Do you have pricing yet?
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:58 PM

Fuel bowl

hey henery
What Rpalframan was asking was idea on a fuel bowl and I gave him two. The first one was mikes442 web sight to see if mike is making a reproduction. If not I gave him another avenue to pursue I was not being judgemental in my suggestions, just trying to help and it looks like led him in the right direction and as far as my car you are exactly right I can do any thing I darn well please with it right Henery.