Things to look for in a 65 442

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2017, 09:06 PM

Things to look for in a 65 442

So my dad had a 65'442 when he was a kid and has wanted another one for a long time. I found a decent one on craigslist that he is really interested in. I just wanted to ask you guys what kind of things to look for as problem areas. Things that would make fixing it a really big pain, or hard to find parts. From the pictures, it looks to be a good drivers car. It has a few dings and someone put a 455 in it. The owner said that it was built to W30 specs. Is there anyway to confirm that? Thanks for any advice in advance!
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by gicknordon
So my dad had a 65'442 when he was a kid and has wanted another one for a long time. I found a decent one on craigslist that he is really interested in. I just wanted to ask you guys what kind of things to look for as problem areas. Things that would make fixing it a really big pain, or hard to find parts. From the pictures, it looks to be a good drivers car. It has a few dings and someone put a 455 in it. The owner said that it was built to W30 specs. Is there anyway to confirm that? Thanks for any advice in advance!
I don't know enough about 65 442's but the part about the engine being built to W-30 specs is just smoke and mirrors. First, what year W-30. Second, did he go to the point of using F or H heads and the W-455 intake that cost several thousand? Other than that you will not be able to tell what specs it is built to. It would be silly to build one to W-30 specs if you were not doing an original restoration of a W-30. For the same money you could build it much better with today's parts. When they say things like this I know right off that I can not listen to anything they say.

Just follow what people here recommend and use your best judgment.
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:44 AM

info

Spend some time here

http://www.442bro.com/
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:50 AM

Welcome to the site! There isn't much repop for the 1964-65 vintage Oldsmobiles. If you have rot in the quarter panels or wheel well openings you'll need to fabricate patches or find panels from a parts car. The side scoops, panel or bars between the tail lights and the horizontal bars on the tail light lenses are common to have bad chrome on. They are almost impossible to find and if you find nice ones they're expensive.

Here's a couple web sites that focus on the 64-65 cars.

http://w29.boards.net/

http://www.442bro.com/
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:51 AM

Ah Dave, you beat me posting Bro's site
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:24 AM

Having the original 400 engine would add to the value tremendously, is car a stick or auto, options? As stated above not much is repoped for '65, lots of trim on car, can get expensive to replate. Watch for rust around front and rear glass. Make sure car is a 442 and pay up for a complete and rust free car. My first car is a '65 convertible I bought in '75 for $700. Welcome to CO, great info and people here.cars 002.JPG
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Every single swapped-in 455 is claimed to be "built to W-30 specs", in the same way that every Chevy 327 is claimed to be a Corvette fuelie motor. Without proof (receipts, cam card, etc), this is BS. The only way to prove it otherwise it to completely disassemble the motor and inspect every part.

As for parts availability, the 1965 cars are nowhere near as well supported in the aftermarket as are the 68-72 cars. Mechanical parts are easy, as they are common with Chevelle and thus grow on trees, but unique trim parts and sheet metal is pretty much unavailable except for good used parts. Most of the sheet metal is unique to the 1965 model year, so that further restricts sources. The textured pot metal tail panel is pretty much impossible to rechrome properly if it is pitted, so be aware of that. If the car is a convertible, check the frame carefully for rustout, especially where it kicks out behind the front wheels.

Good luck.
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info so far guys. The car has a 4 speed, not sure if its an original 4 speed car or not though. The guy is asking 14,000 and claims that it has 65,000 miles. If its in decent shape, is that out of line? Im gonna tell my dad to look close at all the trim and outer sheet metal. If i was still at home I could help him fab up patch panels if there is any rust, but he has never done any sheetmetal work before. Ill take a look at those sites you guys posted and read up what I can. Not sure when he is going to go look at the car because its about 12 hours away from him
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:02 PM

Couple ways to check if its original four speed, dash would have auto shift pattern into it above steering column and if you check floor around shifter to see if its cut clean and while under it see if it has the neutral safety wiring by the tunnel. Manuals shift cars did not have neutral safety back then. A '65 442 could have come with a three speed. It is possible that the dash could have been changed. Does car have a console?
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:58 PM

I believe it does have a console. Here are two pictures my dad saved from the ad.

Old January 21st, 2017, 07:46 PM

weird i can't ever recall seeing a vinyl top on a post cat!!!
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:51 PM

Nice looking car. Car has the optional upper belt line trim. Grill should not be solid black and headlight trim should be bright. All '65 442 have four holes to mount rear lower control arms, can be seen from wheel well. Price sounds reasonable if its solid. Have you checked out BRO442 yet? Cowl tag will have 4v on it to show it has the required side body holes scoops.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Nice looking car. Car has the optional upper belt line trim. Grill should not be solid black and headlight trim should be bright. All '65 442 have four holes to mount rear lower control arms, can be seen from wheel well. Price sounds reasonable if its solid. Have you checked out BRO442 yet? Cowl tag will have 4v on it to show it has the required side body holes scoops.
The Fremont built cars won't have the 4V on the cowl tag and can be recognized by the BF code in front of the body number. Looking at the frame can help, but the frame was not only used on 442's but on factory 4 speed Cutlass/F85. Here's a thread with more photos of the frame differences. 4 bolt holes for trailing arm mounts. The lip on the cross piece over the rear end has a different shape. The frame rails from under the doors to over the rear axle is one piece so there's no weld just in front of the rear end. There's small gussets welded to the upper back of the engine bay cross member. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ck-market.html
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
The Fremont built cars won't have the 4V on the cowl tag and can be recognized by the BF code in front of the body number. Looking at the frame can help, but the frame was not only used on 442's but on factory 4 speed Cutlass/F85. Here's a thread with more photos of the frame differences. 4 bolt holes for shock mounts. The lip on the cross piece over the rear end has a different shape. The frame rails from under the doors to over the rear axle is one piece so there's no weld just in front of the rear end. There's small gussets welded to the upper back of the engine bay cross member. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ck-market.html
Did not remember about the Fremont built 442's, never saw about the BF code, always learning, thanks for corrections. Sure the shock mount is typo, it is the trailing arm holes.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:57 AM

Did not remember about the Fremont built 442's, never saw about the BF code, always learning, thanks for corrections. Sure the shock mount is typo, it is the trailing arm holes.
Your right, its the trailing arms. I'll fix that and have another cup of coffee this morning!
Old January 22nd, 2017, 08:06 AM

no vinyl tops

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
weird i can't ever recall seeing a vinyl top on a post cat!!!

Olds never put vinyl tops on 1964-1965 cars. The trim was there to separate the two tone paint.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:22 PM

So the car is on its way to PA from ST. Louis. My dad said that it had some rust in the wheel arches. I told him some things to check to make sure it was a real 442 but he didn't completely understand what I was telling him, so he couldn't really tell. He's pretty sure it's real based off of all the badges and the side scoops. I just hope he didn't buy a clone.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Fyi

So the car is on its way to PA from ST. Louis. My dad said that it had some rust in the wheel arches. I told him some things to check to make sure it was a real 442 but he didn't completely understand what I was telling him, so he couldn't really tell. He's pretty sure it's real based off of all the badges and the side scoops. I just hope he didn't buy a clone.

The badges & side scoops are easy to ad to a Cutlass. Hope he bought a 442 & not a Cutlass. keep us informed when it arrives.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Administrator

If the car is nice all around, then your dad got a decent car for the money. All that matters is he likes it.
Old January 27th, 2017, 06:13 AM

If he got it for $14,000 or less should be good deal, especially if he's happy. Not many of '65 around. Have some parts and trim squirreled away if you need something. Have redone my twice in the 42 years I have had it.
Old January 27th, 2017, 07:34 PM

My dad sent me a picture of the data tag and it is a Freemont built car, so the tag wont tell me if its really a 442. He is gonna look at the trailing arm mount either tomorrow or sunday. I was looking up different things on the data plate to see what options the car had. Looks like it had deluxe seat belts, instrument panel safety padding, chrome roof drip rails, and chrome side window frame moldings. The car was also originally forest green with a white roof. I came accross this site (http://www.ultra-high-compression.com/colors-page.html)when looking for color codes, and to my surprise, the picture of the data tag for the Forest Mist-Provencial White is actually from the exact car my dad just bought! The numbers are all exactly the same and the way the paint is partialy gone is exactly the same as my dads. What a coincidence!
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Olds never put vinyl tops on 1964-1965 cars. The trim was there to separate the two tone paint.
now that you mention it i can't ever remember seeing a 64-65 with a vinyl top.still kinda different on a post car.
Old January 28th, 2017, 01:39 PM

My dad checked this afternoon and the trailing arm mount has the 4 holes, so it is a real 442. I think jes a lot happier knowing its real
Old January 28th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
The belt line trim that runs length of car was an option. Have not seen it on many 442's.
Old January 28th, 2017, 04:49 PM

What?

The belt line trim that runs length of car was an option. Have not seen it on many 442's.
We are not talking about the same trim. The belt line trim has no relation to the trim used on the two tone paint cars.
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Justin

Upper trim( H trim ) is a rare option and hard to find part I. Good driver quality

all good info above on checking for true 442
keep in mind if it's a true 4 speed or 3 speed it will have the hd frame with the adjustable rear arms so this is not a true sign of a 442 it just means it was a manual car

also any one can clone here is mine

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/major-builds-projects/50016-kids-helping-project.html

Last edited by oldstata; January 31st, 2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:24 AM

My information shows that in 1965 the Oldsmobile option code for the vinyl rooftop was C08, however it was not available on the "A" bodies.
The moulding piece at the base of the roof was added with option D99 when the two tone finish was ordered.
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:01 AM

[QUOTE=gicknordon;986781]My dad checked this afternoon and the trailing arm mount has the 4 holes, so it is a real 442. I think jes a lot happier knowing its real[/QUOTE

all the stick shift cars got that frame,not just 442
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:43 AM

D99 trim 64-65

Originally Posted by Ozzie
My information shows that in 1965 the Oldsmobile option code for the vinyl rooftop was C08, however it was not available on the "A" bodies.
The moulding piece at the base of the roof was added with option D99 when the two tone finish was ordered.
As I stated in post #17 but thanks for confirming.
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM

the 65 442s had a number stamped in the left rear frame rail in the area of the tail pipe hanger.pretty sure cutlasses didn't get stamped
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:07 AM

frame #s
Old February 14th, 2017, 09:49 PM

All the frames are stamped in that area. 3864503 would be used on a 442 or a non-442 equipped with manual transmission. With that said, the 442 had extra gussets behind the front cross member. I do not believe the non-442 had these gussets. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Keener
All the frames are stamped in that area. 3864503 would be used on a 442 or a non-442 equipped with manual transmission. With that said, the 442 had extra gussets behind the front cross member. I do not believe the non-442 had these gussets. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Good morning Keener.
I need to correct you, that the non-442's also have the gussets. I believe the 442 and non-442 with manual transmission have the same frames. John
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:56 AM

Thanks, John. Of all the members, you have seen a lot of different years. Glad you recall the gussets. I know the 64 frames are the same and couldnt remember reading that the 65 non-442s had these gussets. Hope you are enjoying retirement and starting on some of your projects.
Old February 15th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Justin

Like I said above all manual transmission 64/65 got the hd frames.
sadly Fremont cars are the hardest to verify as a real or clone. their should be a partial vin on frame driver side on top not easy to see to match to body,
also could pull a side scoop and see if it's a clean drill or slotted to see if they were added a lot of little details. Can help lean in a positive direction
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:35 AM

My dad put a different set of wheels and tires on the car. I think it looks much better! Also gonna be moving back closer to home, so looking forward to working on it with him!
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Awesome, IMO much better look and great stance.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:25 AM
car nut farmer

Looks nice.