Cleaning the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM

Cleaning the engine compartment

What is the best way to clean/degrease the engine and engine compartment without making a huge mess? I plan on doing this in my garage as I can't have any oil water running off into the ground. I have a well. I would like to get it degreased so I can try to paint the engine and engine compartment. I'm not looking to make it for show but only to "freshen" it up. I heard citris products work well.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM

this is a little off subject but is it a drilled well or a dug well? if it is a drilled well you can do anything you want outside because it will not get surface water in the drilled well. if it is a dug well it will get everything in it including field spray if you are around fields.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM

I've had good luck with full strength Simple Green. It's non-toxic, smells good and does a good job at degreasing. I also use Carb cleaner for the really tough stuff. Other tools for the job include a supply of old tooth brushes (preferably not the same one you use in the morning), wire brushes, paint brushes, screw drivers and paint scapers, steel wool and a squirt bottle full of water for rinsing. I also use a large plastic tub that I got at Lowes underneath the car to catch all the run off. It's about a foot high and a few feet around. I think it's intended for a small water garden. Then, you can dispose of it the way you need to and no mess to clean up. Good luck if you really want to do it right, pull the engine. It will save you many hours of taping everything off and rolling around on the ground trying to reach things. Post some before and after pictures if you can.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM

Degreasers of your choice, lots of brushes of various types, scrapers (metal and plastic), scotchbrite, nitrile gloves, GOOD paper towels (Viva or scotts rags in a box), and perhaps an old water catch pan from a water heater or A/C unit (wide and flat) to catch the runoff. Kitty litter can be used in the pan to absorb and reduce odor. Just keep the cat out of there...
If you use solvent types in a garage, make sure ventilation is good, as an explosion hazzard will exist. I would go for simple green indoors.
Yes the orange stuff works pretty good, along with totally awesome cleaner from dollar general...
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
this is a little off subject but is it a drilled well or a dug well? if it is a drilled well you can do anything you want outside because it will not get surface water in the drilled well. if it is a dug well it will get everything in it including field spray if you are around fields.
It is drilled 300ft down but was told it is still possible over time. Although I hope to sell in the next year or two.
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442
I've had good luck with full strength Simple Green. It's non-toxic, smells good and does a good job at degreasing. I also use Carb cleaner for the really tough stuff. Other tools for the job include a supply of old tooth brushes (preferably not the same one you use in the morning), wire brushes, paint brushes, screw drivers and paint scapers, steel wool and a squirt bottle full of water for rinsing. I also use a large plastic tub that I got at Lowes underneath the car to catch all the run off. It's about a foot high and a few feet around. I think it's intended for a small water garden. Then, you can dispose of it the way you need to and no mess to clean up. Good luck if you really want to do it right, pull the engine. It will save you many hours of taping everything off and rolling around on the ground trying to reach things. Post some before and after pictures if you can.
Thanks for the advice. I do have a lift so I can get underneith pretty good. I just need to find the time to get it done before cruising season.
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Registered

I used a kid wading pool and Simple Green, warm water to rinse. You can let the water evaporate in the tub or pool then bottle the sludge and take it to a recycling center, if you have kids a dog or a cat be careful where you leave it. I did mine in the car then decided to rebuild it, it was nice and clean to pull.
Please people, don't dump oil or anything else toxic on the ground, absolutely no exceptions. I'm no tree-hugger but gee-whiz.
My dogs thank you as well as all other critters and plant life, me too.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Thumbs up

oven cleaner.
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I assume the car is not running. Otherwise why wouldn't you just take it to a car wash. Spray it down good with the engine warm and this go use the engine cleaner. If it is not running, probably not an option.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM

here are a couple shots of my engine bay when i got the rebuild done earlier this year...Pressure washer and purple power is all you really need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20110430_143219.jpg (48.4 KB, 134 views)
IMG_20110502_102926.jpg (50.3 KB, 122 views)
IMG_20110505_150910.jpg (52.7 KB, 120 views)
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM

Hi guys, (my first post!)
While we are on the subject, I'm doing the same to a 68 442 vert. I'm pulling the engine and want a show car finish. I have a blast cabinet that I'm getting all the components. I was wondering about renting a sand blaster and doing the engine bay in my garage. Thought I could make a canvas tent around it and blast away? Anyone ever attempt this?

Thanks,

Craig
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Dont use pressure washers on an engine. You run a huge risk of ruining gaskets and seals on the engine. I know there are people that have done it without damage but I also know the chance of damage is high. I agree with simple green, the orange stuff or oven cleaner.