Going out on a limb

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:59 PM

Going out on a limb

to assume this is not the OEM trunk light switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160822_204103823.jpg (1.87 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160822_204114666.jpg (2.28 MB, 42 views)
Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:35 PM

Definitely not, probably part of an aftermarket alarm system? The correct light/switch is mounted towards the front of your trunk lid on the driver side. You will see two small screw holes where it mounts. I might have a good working one if you're interested? $30.00 shipped?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info - The trunk light is there - mounted to the trunk lid where you indicated it would be - and the wiring runs to this switch. Was the OEM switch part of the light - like a mercury switch - or a different type/place? It doesn't work as is and I haven't played with it at all to try to figure it out yet. Don
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Partagas
Thanks for the info - The trunk light is there - mounted to the trunk lid where you indicated it would be - and the wiring runs to this switch. Was the OEM switch part of the light - like a mercury switch - or a different type/place? It doesn't work as is and I haven't played with it at all to try to figure it out yet. Don
The metal can-style trunk light on the underside of the trunk used an internal mercury switch.

The plastic trunk light that mounts to the trunk lid hinge has a small arm that rides on the hinge arm to activate the light.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:14 AM

Thanks Joe - mine is the metal can style light so I'm guessing that perhaps the mercury switch wasn't turning it off so they installed that fancy contact switch to keep the battery from running down. I'll test the light to see if that's the case. Don
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:17 PM

I think Oldspackrat hit it - I was able to track down the owner previous to the one I bought the car from in Florida and this was one of the questions I asked him. I found a receipt with a guy's name on it from an auto parts store in Alabama for a battery purchased in 2000. A little Google detective work produced an email address. I sent an email, received a response 20 minutes later, and 20 minutes later he called and talked to me about the car for an hour. Seems he bought it in 1979 for $400 with 86,XXX miles on it from a lady he saw driving it down I-81 in Virginia. He said the car had an alarm system in it at the time with a key switch in the driver's fender, a big and loud "Andy Griffith" siren in the grill, and door and trunk sensors. Most of the wiring, the siren, and the switch are all gone now. Upon further inspection, the wire from this switch runs with and wraps around the trunk light lead, but doesn't actually connect to it. So - this post inspired me to track down the guy and learn a ton of history about the car he owned for more than 20 years. Thanks guys. Don