1967 w30 442- thoughts and oppinions

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2016, 09:29 PM

1967 w30 442- thoughts and oppinions

A Freind has this car. He has no build sheet. He seems to want in the neighborhood of 15-20k. What are your thoughts as far as If it is real and what its worth.
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Senior Moment Member

5k tops. Maybe not even that depending on the rest of the car. Documentation is of course a huge plus. Just my 2 cents.
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:44 AM
Shoveling Snow

Does he have the engine and trans? Take a better pic of the trim tag and post it plus the rest of the car.
Old August 21st, 2016, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Does he have the engine and trans? Take a better pic of the trim tag and post it plus the rest of the car.
More importantly, does he have the air cleaner?
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:05 PM

Front floor

Front floor.

Rear floor

Two tone interior

Back seat

Trunk is shot. Rusted as well as the weather strip channell around the trunk. Note-original trunk mounted battery set up.

Old August 21st, 2016, 10:30 PM

Non original rear. Originally car was equipped with 4:33 gears.

Original plumbing for trunk mounted battery

WOG-tranny. The serial number on tag doesnt match any number on vin or body tag. Don't know if its supposed to?

Old August 21st, 2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
More importantly, does he have the air cleaner?
Joe, he has the air cleaner. Looked super clean and I thought it may be a repo until I turned it upside down.
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:48 PM

Hairy Olds, I supplied pics of the WOG-67 trans. The serial number on the tag doesn't match anything as far as number s on the car. As far as the Engine, its supposed to be one of 6 400 dismantled blocks in a storage building. There were also 5 pairs of "C" heads. Only one head was stamped with the V and G and a sequence number noting that it was a 67 442 head. It didn't have the smog bosses though, like the emmisions and w30 cars are supposed too. There were two smog heads though, but the Julian date codes were way off, I believe 119 and 339. There was nothing stamped on the pads of those heads. Furthermore, both heads were different colors and were in way different condition as far as rust and grease so it was apparent that they were from different cars.the car had a 03b date code. Second week of march. I didn't look through all the blocks to check for the best Julian date code yo match the car because they were hard to get to, and with what I brought with me to buy the car was not enough, so I didn't investigate further. Didn't see an intake, carb, or distributor, but I don't think they were anything hard to find like the l after w30 stuff.
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:55 PM

All evidence shows this is a real car, but no paperwork or pop. My Freind ways 20k for the car and the parts. I offered 10k. Nothing of real value in the parts other then builder 400 blocks and a hand full of c heads. No rare, real, valuable parts. What do you guys think is a fare price for the car. I had a Tahitian turquoise car just like this,post, two tone interior, smog car, non w30. It even had the same Buick wheels put on that were similar to the olds wheels.
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:57 PM

The similarities were scary. My car was wrecked 20/years ago. Sorry for the grammar, all posting is being done from a phone using fat fingers and mediocre eye sight!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 01:39 AM
Shoveling Snow

The trans tag #s will only match the POP. And it is a correct tag for a W-30.

To me for what you described and have shown I wouldn't give over $5000.
This will be a very expensive car to restore and with no paperwork the price will always be a on the low side of values.
Pretty car when is done.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:57 AM

My two cents... without paperwork, I don't see that car breaking the $50k mark when it's finished (and very nicely finished), but I'm no '67 expert. It will probably take every dollar of that to restore it. It's an automatic car, which almost always seems to be a value reducer on a muscle car to most people, though post coupe/WOG trans combo is likely rare.

Here's another example that was for sale: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-car-ohio.html

If you "gotta have it," $10k is probably an okay number... the $20k is out to lunch... Paul's $5k offer above is likely more inline, as he knows these cars well.

Last edited by 83hurstguy; August 22nd, 2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:11 AM

Hard to read the cowl tag. Is that 5Y or 5V? Must have the V and VIN must have M to be a factory car. I concur that 5k is the most it should be worth. I doubt you could do a premium build for 50K and I don't see it bringing that or much more than that when finished.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Its a small market for a finished car with no docs. With that said, your friend needs to be more realistic on the price or it will be sitting in his yard with a tree growing out of the hood area while he tells everyone he knows how rare and expensive it is. I'd make your offer and say, this is my number and if you can do better than jump on it. Give an expiration date and let him think. As others said it will be an expensive resto.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:14 AM

Well -- my assessment given the knowledge i have on the67 w30 cars, is that this is a REAL car. The obvious signs are that makes me believe it is for real. As for the WOG trans -- this code was ONLY used on 67 W30 -- so its a no-brainer that this trans came out of a 67 w30 --- and NO --- the serial number doesnt have anything to do with numbers on trim tag or VIN. It is a build sequence and was exclusive to the 67 W30. This sequence tells me that this is the 69th Th400 W30 car produced.(#1169 if i read it right ( might be 1109?). As for value -- it appears to be in the approximate condition of the last one that i sold which i sold for 5500 without the air shroud or ducts, but it did have the original motor with smog heads and the WOG trans with original P-type rearend. It also appears by the pic that the rearend is the correct Type P unit that came in the 67 W30 cars --- Most of the automatic cars came with 3.90 gears. There should be a tube code stamped on pass side - driveshaft side . check for it -- may take a good stiff wire brush and bright light?
This car will take a lot of time and money to restore but it is doable. for someone that cant do the lions share of the entire resto, its probably not any ROI there. Looking at it from a Parting out stand point i can see maybe $7K at most? So those that suggest the value at 5-10K are much closer to a market value than 15-20K.. Obviously this is MOO (my opinion only). As for the ducts -- they can be repaired but it will be costly -- very ice repops can be had for 450-ish. I might add that the cowl throttle linkage in the picture is INCORRECT for the 67 Th400 --- It appears to be from either a cutlass/F85 or from another year. It looks like the one that was on my 67 F-85.
If the frame is good and restorable ( w30 frames are exclusive too-- little known fact) the option of re-body is available. It is a good 33807 post coupe with bench seat/column shift -- exactly like mine pictured in my avatar. Very, very, rare combination --- in my research i am lead to believe that there were only about 30 of them produced with this combo!! And this is the very first one i have seen in a 2-tone body color!!

Last edited by Chesrown 67 OAI; August 22nd, 2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:19 AM
Shoveling Snow

It does have the original heater to the block hose, that I know for sure....I think.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:30 AM

trim tag decodes to colors:Tahoe Turquoise on bottom/white on top (L-C) with turquoise cloth insert interior - bench seat.(936A) Tinted windows (W) and deluxe seatbelts(5VY)
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:57 AM

As already said the car looks legit, correct build date, etc. For sure a cool car and it needs a restore. Very hard to legitimize the 67 W30's and that's always a negative when its time to sell. The Air breather included is a very nice thing as there were no repro's done except in fiberglass and were not 100% in appearance. This restore will be a labor of love and don't expect to recover what you have into it.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM

The one I found about 5 years ago in Yakima washington was also two tone and a post car. It was a 4 speed car and it was red with a white painted top. It is the one Johnathon Mott bought and after putting all the correct pieces with it he resold it a few months back not restored.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:26 PM

Very Kool Car. Labor of love for sure.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 05:04 PM

I see the same amount in parts that others do. The switch pitch th400 is one of the more interesting automatics out there, and that thing could be made into a give-no-***** screamer of no options other than powertrain.

Most of the hard w-30 stuff is there. You could recreate the engine without too much trouble. Would you make money on the car? Never, and it makes more sense to buy it and part it and make a few grand, but, maybe this car deserves someone to rebuild it. I normally don't say that about missing engine cars, but this one seems real.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:29 PM

my 2 cents

Looks real to me. I would never restore if to concourse but rather restore it just well enough to compete is FAST or stock appearing races with an E block stroker under the hood.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:57 PM

The car is way too rare and restorable to part out. Anybody who parts this car needs to be shot.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:12 AM
Getting There

that car deserves a resto
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:48 AM

Any idea where the car was sold new?
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:00 PM

No idea where the car was sold new. As far as the engine, the original may be one of the blocks in storage. There are no Vin derivatives on 67 blocks though. Are 67 400 motors coded with a Julian date? I definitely think the car should be restored and not parted. The guy said that if it doesn't sell, he's gonna "do it" and sell it. I explained to him that when these cars are restored, its important to restore them to the same product that the factory supplied when they were new. That means date coded parts, assembled and painted or coated in the same finishes the factory did. Its an art, and it takes time, money, and knowledge to do. I recommended that he should get the car together with as many parts that were correct to the car, and make it complete and drivable, and sell it to someone that can properly restore it that way. I know he's looking for the most he can get out of the car, and he knows what it is and how rare it is, but I'm afraid that of he tries to restore it, he'll ruin it and probably lose a lot of potential buyers. I was ready to pay 10k for the car. I'm not worried about making money on the car, as it would be a keeper. But that's all I'd feel comfortable spending on it. If anyone has any real interest in the car beyond 10k, contact me and I'll see if I can get the connection made, with my Freind, the owner.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:26 PM

I totally agree with your comments above. Doing a quick "flip job" restoration not only will ruin the ability to document the car as it currently sits and help legitimize it's w30 pedigree as much as possible... it's not going to earn him more margin than he currently has. He might put another $15k into it, just to get an extra $3k in actual profit. The market will not reward a half-*** resto unless he finds a sucker, which seems to be his current strategy...
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:55 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nickyloves442s
No idea where the car was sold new. As far as the engine, the original may be one of the blocks in storage. There are no Vin derivatives on 67 blocks though. Are 67 400 motors coded with a Julian date? I definitely think the car should be restored and not parted. The guy said that if it doesn't sell, he's gonna "do it" and sell it. I explained to him that when these cars are restored, its important to restore them to the same product that the factory supplied when they were new. That means date coded parts, assembled and painted or coated in the same finishes the factory did. Its an art, and it takes time, money, and knowledge to do. I recommended that he should get the car together with as many parts that were correct to the car, and make it complete and drivable, and sell it to someone that can properly restore it that way. I know he's looking for the most he can get out of the car, and he knows what it is and how rare it is, but I'm afraid that of he tries to restore it, he'll ruin it and probably lose a lot of potential buyers. I was ready to pay 10k for the car. I'm not worried about making money on the car, as it would be a keeper. But that's all I'd feel comfortable spending on it. If anyone has any real interest in the car beyond 10k, contact me and I'll see if I can get the connection made, with my Freind, the owner.
You are a good man Charlie Brown. He's going about this all wrong but you already know that. You might show him the comments in this thread and he might have second thoughts. Check the Haggerty Price line guide for a value and that might show a reasonable value.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:08 PM

i wouldnt show the seller anything..i wouldnt educate him on anything..you will never get the car if you educate him...i'm not saying to lie or be deceitful..just shut up..

go at a diff angle..tell him it will cost 50K to restore it and you love the car so much you are willing to do that..ask if he is...find the block...be quiet and realize you found a 1 in a lifetime car and it isnt worth the 20k but i bet it can be bought...

and i dont want to be mean but $5k? thats just not realistic in my world anymore, ya cant buy an F85 for that in my area....

be quiet..patient..let him find out what he wants on his own..put all your money together...rob peter to pay paul...borrow it...beg for it..put the best deal together you can and go buy it,,,cash in hand...lay it on the hood..dont let him think..buy it..and push it til he gets mad and runs you off...he's fishing...

ive passed on cars that where so rare..because everyone said id be upside down..too much money..blah blah...if i want it..i buy it..i'm not a fool..i listen...but if i want it i buy it..

i passed on a 66 W30 in 1987..turquoise/turq post car..all there 4 speed....100% there for $12k..everyone said it was too high...pretty decent car...all apart but all there

i think of it all the time..what a fool i was to let that 1 in a lifetime car get away..i was about $2k away from what he wanted...id give 2x that looking back...it changed hands 4 or 5 times and every person made about 10k it seems each time..(im exaggerating..but it felt like it back then).it was near the peak of the car hobby..but looking past the money...was my 1 in a lifetime car....(then theres the 71 Judge for 15k..i passed because i thought too high)

dont be like me, and look back and say i could have bought it..but....35+ years have passed and i kick myself all the time...i buy cars because they speak to me or deserve to be redone..if i make money great..i never loose really..the satisfaction of the project is the biggest high you can have...

Last edited by marxjunk; August 23rd, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old December 13th, 2020, 11:29 AM

YouTube

Rare '67 Olds 4-4-2 with column shift at the Olds Nationals

I’m sure most have seen this on YouTube but to those that haven’t check it out. Guy went all in and saved another rare beautiful car, hats off to him.
Old December 13th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Shoveling Snow

Link Matt?
Old December 13th, 2020, 01:23 PM

Link Matt?

I tried Paul 🙄
Old December 13th, 2020, 01:50 PM

Old December 13th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Shoveling Snow

I didn't realize this was the car. I saw it in Wichita, Beautiful restoration.
Old December 14th, 2020, 01:56 AM

Yes. That's the car. He did a beautifull job.
Old December 14th, 2020, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by 67abody
YouTube

Rare '67 Olds 4-4-2 with column shift at the Olds Nationals

I’m sure most have seen this on YouTube but to those that haven’t check it out. Guy wen?t all in and saved another rare beautiful car, hats off to him.
The owner is Dave DeLong from Columbia MO. I located and furnished him a few key parts for the car including a correct coded type P rearend, ducts and scoops, and several NOS body trim pieces. I also had the pleasure of being on the judging team that judged the car at MCACN last year!
magnificent job!
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:36 AM

2019 MCACN, how did I miss that?
Old December 14th, 2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
The owner is Dave DeLong from Columbia MO. I located and furnished him a few key parts for the car including a correct coded type P rearend, ducts and scoops, and several NOS body trim pieces. I also had the pleasure of being on the judging team that judged the car at MCACN last year!
magnificent job!
The cowl tag has the magical code too.
Old December 14th, 2020, 11:36 AM

has anyone "cracked" the 1967 Lansing body tag upper-line code? A, B, D, E, F, L, S

maybe we could get the ZODIAC code breakers to give it a try?
Old December 14th, 2020, 11:42 AM

Very Kool

Quick Reply: 1967 w30 442- thoughts and oppinions