85 442 info needed

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2016, 01:31 AM

85 442 info needed

can anybody give me the measurements of the hole in the floor pan for the shifter cable to the shifter cable mounting bracket? I think mine is off by a few inches causing the cable to break. everything else operates freely, but when I hook up the cable, it is very tight in shifting. thanks
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Olds Fever

I don't have a measurement readily available, but a few questions may help solve your problem... How long have you had the 442 before the cable breaking became an issue? Has the trans been out for any reason? Or has the cable been changed in the past? If the trans has been out, is it possible the cable bracket was reinstalled in the wrong location, one bolt hole off location can cause the issue you are having... As well as the trans lever itself not being correct for the vehicle or install incorrectly... Also, if you are installing a new cable recheck the application, IIRC, there are 3 cables available for G-Body - 200, 200r4, and L/R (Lighting Rod)...
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Also, if the engine to body ground strap is not in place... then all other paths become ground for the body, including shifter and throttle cables. Any electrical funny business?
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MidNight Rider
....but when I hook up the cable, it is very tight in shifting.
Is this a new cable or old? It is not uncommon for the original shifter cable to become frayed inside its sheath, making it very hard to move. Of course, a new one shouldn't have this problem.
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM

ok, about 9 years ago I did a body swap on the 442, using a column shifting body. at the time I did this, I transferred the mounting bracket but did not make the hole for the cable. after contracting overseas for several years and relocating, I started putting the 442 back together last year. last week I finally got it all back together and fired it up. I notice that the shifter was a little stiff when pulling the shifter from OD to 3 then 2 then 1. the cable is about 10 years old before I forget. on the test drive this pass Saturday, I had no problem shifting from P-R-N-OD. but on the way back to the house I wanted to downshift and hard to pull hard to get into 3, and then 2. when I pulled up to the garage door, I wanted to put the car into park, the shifter just fell into park like it was not hooked up.ok, fast forward here. jacked up the car, check the linkage and connection all is good. removed the console and found that the horseshoe clip has fell off. no big deal right? put the horse shoe clip back on, tried it again just sitting in the garage. when going from 3 to park, the pressure that is put on the shifter causes to the horseshoe clip to pop off. on the third try at this the cable broke on the shifter side. I will say this. with the hole that I made, with the cable attached to the transmission and then to the shifter. there is no slack no where. the cable does not sit center of the hole, it hugs the back side of the hole. I hope this info helps. .
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Olds Fever

Here are some photos from a floor section I saved... They might at least help you to determine the proper hole location...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0193.jpg (1.42 MB, 10 views)
IMAG0198.jpg (1.31 MB, 9 views)
IMAG0205.jpg (1.31 MB, 7 views)
IMAG0207.jpg (1.28 MB, 8 views)
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

Cruzn66, that's it!. I can tell just by looking at the picture I am way off on the hole. I drilled straight forward not offset. and when I mean straight forward I know I went forward about an inch and a half further. thanks for the pics, they greatly helped me out to keep from breaking another cable. Great people on this site!