fitting hub caps w/o clips

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM

fitting hub caps w/o clips

anyone have any luck with or ideas with getting the original hub caps on a 61 olds starfire to be mounted without using the "clips"? I can't see spending lots of $ for the clips (i need every clip for all 4 caps) if there is a good safe alternative.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Far as I know there IS no other way to mount them, and 1961 is a year to itself. 57-60 and 62-63 are the same. 61? a different story. I'm not sure if the 61 clips are even available.

Makes me glad my 64s don't use the silly things. All because they were trying to hide the valve stem...

I have an option on a 57 88 sedan, and as good as the spinners would look, the clips are such a PITA to deal with that if I get the car, it will keep its standard wheelcovers.
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by bjtstarfire
anyone have any luck with or ideas with getting the original hub caps on a 61 olds starfire to be mounted without using the "clips"? I can't see spending lots of $ for the clips (i need every clip for all 4 caps) if there is a good safe alternative.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
No alternative, it takes five per wheel and at $6 a pop that's only $120 invested in making a $25,000+ value restored car look right. I actually went a bit overboard and bought a set of clips for mounting a wheel cover on the spare.
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the info. I do have a white starfire and the hubcaps are the deluxe style with a hole for the valve stem. Thanks for the advise on the larger clips for the 62 being used on the 61. I guess I'll have to get them from Fusick unless some one has an alternative source.

I really do like the original caps and like you said they make the car. My caps were color coded white, but I am planning to color code them with red to match the interior color also - just to add some contrast.

Thanks
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Paul and Chuck - I understand now! Thanks for the info and correction.

I like that section in the owner's manual with the guy in a suit coat, leave it to the marketing reps.

Last edited by bjtstarfire; July 26th, 2008 at 08:47 AM.