Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

G78 X 14 Firestone Tire

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:22 PM
NOVICE car nut

G78 X 14 Firestone Tire

I will get some Pics on this , but my already bald tire came apart on the back of my 72 CS . The spare in the trunk has a G78 X 14 on the tire , along with Marshall and Firestone markings .... good god , how old is this thing ? I had to get to work so like I said I will post pics of both tires when I get a chance . I was gonna go to Mr. P's tires to buy a used one tomorrow .... the guy wants to charge $35 for the removal and mounting/balancing of the tire he has laying around.

BTW.... the tire on the rim that came apart is P 215 70 R 14.... oh and if anyone local has some of these halfway decent used tires laying around that they dont need , maybe ill buy them... let me know thanks Bryan

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 21st, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
...the guy wants to charge $35 for the removal and mounting/balancing of the tire he has laying around.
That's insanity. Walmart will do it for about $15.

Oh, that Firestone bias-ply tire probably went out of production in the early to mid-eighties.
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by copper128
That's insanity. Walmart will do it for about $15.

Oh, that Firestone bias-ply tire probably went out of production in the early to mid-eighties.
that price includes the cost of the tire also
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM
NOVICE car nut

yea i'm thinking twice about putting a 25yr old tire on this car , although there are no cracks in it and its on the back of the car , I still dont want to put that goofy looking thing on there.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Lansing built

tires

Most tire manufacturers recommend that you run tires only 10 yrs max!
I just dumped a set of Uniroyals that were 15 years old. For around $450.00
I think it's best for the safety of you, the car and others around you to put on new rubber.

Pat
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:24 AM

Agreed 100%, i bought my old man some new tires for his ride a year or two ago because i could see micro-cracks forming. </P>
Really sad story (if you love cars stop reading here

A friend of mine has a 63' Jag Mark IX. His dad REFUSES to buy new tires, even though his old ones are bald and cracking. I'd really hate to see what would happen if they blow on him. He complained that he couldnt find the tire size in north america, so i pointed him towards Coker tires (Which had his exact size needed) but he refused.

I dont know why people play dice with their safety like that...
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:35 AM

Old tires (or cheap used ones) are fine during the resto process, when only driving a few miles around town a few times, if that. That is if they are not visibly damaged.
Once you get to the point of driving more often and at higher speeds, time to spend the dough and get a new set. Not only will it be safer, but your car will ride much better (unless you get a flawed set out the door like I had happen once!)
I would not drive on that old belted tire - keep for show only! A buddy of mine had an old tire on his Ford he's restoring. He got the power brakes installed and tried them out on a quick stop at 10mph. He blew that tire!

I know i am taking chances with my 1993 BFG's on my '86, but she only does a few hundred miles a year... Aside from being brown, they still look okay... The 4 year old michilins on the caddy look like they are 40 years old - cracked like clay dirt in a TX summer!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Administrator

You do not want to mix biasply's and radials on the vehicle. Buying used tires is not an issue, just check the DOT date. I prefer to keep them less than 7 years old.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Old tires (or cheap used ones) are fine during the resto process, when only driving a few miles around town a few times, if that. That is if they are not visibly damaged.
Once you get to the point of driving more often and at higher speeds, time to spend the dough and get a new set. Not only will it be safer, but your car will ride much better (unless you get a flawed set out the door like I had happen once!)
I would not drive on that old belted tire - keep for show only! A buddy of mine had an old tire on his Ford he's restoring. He got the power brakes installed and tried them out on a quick stop at 10mph. He blew that tire!

I know i am taking chances with my 1993 BFG's on my '86, but she only does a few hundred miles a year... Aside from being brown, they still look okay... The 4 year old michilins on the caddy look like they are 40 years old - cracked like clay dirt in a TX summer!
i dont think ive ever seen the 86' any pictures rob???
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
i dont think ive ever seen the 86' any pictures rob???
You must have missed this from a year ago...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-supreme.html
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Most tire manufacturers recommend that you run tires only 10 yrs max!
I just dumped a set of Uniroyals that were 15 years old. For around $450.00
I think it's best for the safety of you, the car and others around you to put on new rubber.

Pat

bahhhh , except for our newer car which has $400 worth of rubber on them , I always had old rubber on my old cars and never had a problem , but remember i'm quite poor right now and cant afford new tires ... besides I'm planning to put this car back in storage when I get another car this spring hopefully.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
NOVICE car nut

agreed ... its bad to have old rubber , but like you
said if you are just driving around town and the tire in question is on the back then your ok ... I hope
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You do not want to mix biasply's and radials on the vehicle. Buying used tires is not an issue, just check the DOT date. I prefer to keep them less than 7 years old.
thanks , I have no idea why I did not think of that , because i'm going to go to mr P's to buy a used tire and I will have to look for a date on the tire.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
NOVICE car nut

You must have missed this from a year ago...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-supreme.html
awesome! my wife use to have a 87 CS I was going to restore , but the roof and other areas were getting pretty rusty so I passed on it.