Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Coupe W-31

Old February 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Coupe W-31

Came across this add for a 1970 cutlass w-31. May interest someone.Here is the link
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ343857223
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Fyi

This one is the real deal. His uncle bought the car new & he got it a decade ago. The car is a great 20 footer. Worst part is the Pontiac spoiler on the trunk lid. Car has been for sale at that price for almost 2 years.
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
This one is the real deal. His uncle bought the car new & he got it a decade ago. The car is a great 20 footer. Worst part is the Pontiac spoiler on the trunk lid. Car has been for sale at that price for almost 2 years.
Cars going to be for sale for another 2 years at that price !!!!
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM

its a great looking car though.

maybe the wing was dealer installed - its a one of one W31/judge
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
Came across this add for a 1970 cutlass w-31. May interest someone.Here is the link
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ343857223
I thought I recognized that car. Saw it in last years Kijiji when I was looking for another 98. It looks great. Calgary isn't that far away - 170 miles or so.

BTW Rallye. I know that price seems (ok it is) high, but that's the range they go for up here.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
...BTW Rallye. I know that price seems (ok it is) high, but that's the range they go for up here.

Also, is the price in Canadian money and needs adjusted for the exchange rate?
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I thought I recognized that car. Saw it in last years Kijiji when I was looking for another 98. It looks great. Calgary isn't that far away - 170 miles or so.

BTW Rallye. I know that price seems (ok it is) high, but that's the range they go for up here.
BTW ALLEN R I know what these cars go for I have a couple I meant this car isn't worth the price.1st they said car is original never restored WRONG look at the picture showing the cutlass name blow that picture up look at the paint finish it look like some one paint the car with a roller(car has been repaint not full unrestored) . 2nd the grills are painted wrong. 3rd what does the engine compartment,trunk,floors interior look like any paper work ??????
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Yea, and unfortunately, that means it's even MORE in US dollars these days.....
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM

I think the Judge wing is the best part of the car!!!...
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Highwayman
We're about par, but there would prolly be duty at the border??

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
I know what these cars go for I have a couple I meant this car isn't worth the price
Ralley - read your comments and agree. I also think its way overpriced. If it helps, I wasn't defending the owners selling position - just that every time I see one of these for sale up here (in much the same 'original' condition ) the seller always seems to think it's worth BJ pricing. Never was disputing your awareness of the price. I somehow think the seller wouldn't go for what I think would be OBO.
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Yea, I think the car is a little over priced, but if it is complete and original with paperwork, well maybe.

AS far as duty at the border, there ain't none. Additionally, Oldsmobile of Canada has original paperwork that owners can get, just like Chevrolet of Canada. I had a 67 BB Corvette roadster that had paperwork from Chevrolet of Canada (or was it GM of Canada). It stated all the options and the number of units similiarly equiped shipped to Canada. In my case it was 396, easy number to remember.
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM
wait.... what....

yep, correct that there is no duty, but you will have to pay tax.
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:01 PM

This is the same color combo as a 70 W30 on the cover of Muscle Car Review this month
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Neat car except for the picnic table on the trunk lid.

Strangest looking 1970 Cutlass "coupe" i've ever seen though.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM

please clarify

Originally Posted by oldzzy
yep, correct that there is no duty, but you will have to pay tax.
Since when does one have to pay tax on an American built classic exported from Canada back to the USA where it was originally built?

or were you talking about an import tax to bring a car from USA into Canada? This car is in Medicine Hat AB so there is no tax to move it around in Canada.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM
wait.... what....

umm.... yeah, across the border.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM

be specific

Originally Posted by oldzzy
umm.... yeah, across the border.
sorry I am still not clear on what you are saying.

WHICH WAY ACROSS THE BORDER?

To my knowledge there is no import tax to be paid in USA if this car goes back to where it was made. Are you saying there is one?
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM

It's a nice car,almost the one I want. One day in a long time I want 1970 442 convertible. Been looking online for what they say is authentic they are going for high 60's all the way up to 90'sHope I can find a few bricks of gold
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

This car is in Medicine Hat AB so there is no tax to move it around in Canada.
Actually it's in Calgary, but you're right there's no fee to move it anywhere within Canada. If the GSL dealership tag on the rear deck is original that means it was bought new at GSL Chev City (Olds also back in the day) in Calgary; a dealership that still exists today. The car has been owned by the same family for 37 years, so they likely bought it several years old. Very possible they might have all the original docs. + there's a chance GSL may have records of the car. Long shot but you never know. As far as moving it across intl borders? I haven't had to do that. But I do know you have to have your paperwork at the border at least 3 working days before the car shows up to cross. I think that's so they can verify all the info??

Originally Posted by bkeese
Additionally, Oldsmobile of Canada has original paperwork that owners can get, just like Chevrolet of Canada.
I know what you're trying to say here. But we don't have an Oldsmobile or Chevrolet of Canada. The description you are looking for is GM Vintage Services. And yes, they will provide docs on GMs imported to Canada, or GM's exported from the Oshawa plant here.

A word of caution on the 'paperwork'. GM Vintage Services will not provide 'Original paperwork' of any kind. Maybe I'm reading too much into your statement, but 'original paperwork' to me means things like build sheets, protecto plate, owners manuals, warranty registration docs etc. Vintage Services will only give you a 'snapshot' of your car with the options it was built with, and which dealership it was sent to. They also provide a package of generic info that is photocopies of specs for various components of manufacturing process and safey testing.
This is an example of what you get (for a fee)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GM documentation.jpg (28.5 KB, 37 views)
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Allan R

Allan R you are mistaken on the location of this car. This car has been in Medicine Hat AB for decades. The fact that it is listed for sale on Calgary Kijiji has confused you. It is also listed in other cities in Canada but that does not mean it is there either.

The car sold new at GSL in Calgary. The current owner bought it from his uncle a decade ago. A fellow W machine owner freind of mine who lives in Medicine Hat has seen this car in the Hat for the past 20 years.

Suffice to say the car is over priced based on my friends' evaluation of the car in person. The seller thinks it is a BJ auction quality car & it is not. The car needs lots of attention & he will not get $35K from an experienced Olds collector. I told him as such numerous times over the past 2 years & he less than politely told me to go f--k myself.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; February 14th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The car sold new at GSL in Calgary. The current owner bought it from his uncle a decade ago. A fellow W machine owner freind of mine who lives in Medicine Hat has seen this car in the Hat for the past 20 years.
The car needs lots of attention & he will not get $35K from an experienced Olds collector. I told him as such numerous times over the past 2 years & he less than politely told me to go f--k myself.

Dave, thx for the clarification. It was news to me. Yeah, I get that it can be advertised anywhere across the land. What fooled me was the GSL emblem and the location being Calgary. It all fits together nicely if you know what I mean. I'd love to see this car in person too.

There was another 72 442 clone in Calgary last year (fresh out of the body shop) the owner was flogging for BIG $$$. On one hand it was 'a clone tribute' and the next breath it was ' a stunning original 72 442' with new paint, body panels, repro all fibreglass '442' hood (W25), interior, column tach, sunpro lower gauges, rebuilt engine etc. I still have a hard time understanding people who don't know what 'original' means
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:03 PM

... I told him as such numerous times over the past 2 years & he less than politely told me to go f--k myself.
That's too bad...if you're going to tell someone to go F- themselves, at least be polite about it.

That sure is a lot of money for something that needs that much work. Dave, are you bringing your W30 to Olds this year? Allan, I hope you're coming, you got some nice comments on your car last year as I heard. Got some cars coming from Vancouver Island and Winnipeg, so some new iron to check out. Maybe I'll invite the owner of the car in question to come along so we can get a closer look at this one.

As for the tax issue, I think you're right Dave. A car going to the US that was built there won't pay duty. Tax, may depend on the state however. Americans can import cars 25 years and older without paying duty. Canadians can import cars 15 years or older without paying. This car is safe either way.

FYI, if you want the link to GM Canada Vintage Vehicle Services you'll now find it on our website.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:54 PM

Olds Show

If my work schedual allows I will attend the show this year. If I attend I will bring a pair of my 1969 442s...I will drive one & my gal or my uncle will drive the other.

As always the show is in mid July & as you know the oil patch all but shuts down for April & May...come mid summer the rigs are all out again & after months of no work I usually have to pass on the show & take the work. Being self employed has advantages & disadvantages especially in the patch.
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Allan, I hope you're coming, you got some nice comments on your car last year as I heard.
Thx Ken. I'm hoping to attend. It was the trip down last year when the master cylinder failed and the 'might as well' fixes that just evolved out of that took my car out of circulation. When Joanne and I came to the Sh Pk show I was driving on borrowed time. So now, it depends on what state of disassembly the car's in at the time. With luck the weather will turn nice in a month and I can get back at it. If I can't bring the car, I will come down to spend time with the club and take pics though. Hoping some of the guys I've been in email contact the last while are able to make it with their rides too.

Originally Posted by 442much
Maybe I'll invite the owner of the car in question to come along so we can get a closer look at this one.
Yes please do. I'd like a first hand look at a 34K car too . That must mean Ivan's is now worth ???60K?

We should get a Lexus, Acura, BMW or Mercedes at the engine blow this year! We already know what a mazda, buick and vw will do.......let's burn up a snob hill car!
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM

Are you sure this car was US built my 69 was built in Oshawa
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM

clarification

Originally Posted by RamRod350
Are you sure this car was US built my 69 was built in Oshawa
FYI

Oldsmobile production @ Oshawa ended with the 1969 model year so since this car is a 1970 it could not have been built in Oshawa.

Also the Medicine Hat AB W-31 is a W machine and as everyone is aware ALL W machines were built @ the Lansing assembly plant.

Question for you....exactly what is your car?. Oshawa built all sorts of models in the Oldsmobile line up in 1969 but rest assured they never built any W machines. Your sign in reads RamRod350...are you suggesting that your Oshawa built car is a W machine?
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:40 PM

No not at all, I am a newbie and I was woefully unaware that canadian built olds ended in 1969.I suggest nothing other than my car was built in Canada and that I am a Fan of oldsmobiles.From what I am told, the W-31 in 1969 used a 350 cubic inch motor which had big block valves and flat top pistons and was only available as a 4 spd,I AM A HUGE FAN OF FOUR SPEEDS.Hense the name.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RamRod350
From what I am told, the W-31 in 1969 used a 350 cubic inch motor which had big block valves and flat top pistons and was only available as a 4 spd
whoever told you that is partially correct. There is a JO coded TH350 for the 69 W-31.