Rear window defogger

Old October 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Rear window defogger

I have a 2003 Alero. The rear window defogger will not work. I replaced the fuse and the relay. Still nothing. When I push the defogger button the light goes on but no action in the back. Any ideas?
Old October 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Use a volt Ohm metet to test the GRID the lines running .If scrached or broken .They make a repair kit
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM

There is a modulator in the C pillar that goes bad.

It's a PIA to fix and you can only get it at the dealer avg price $140
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
There is a modulator in the C pillar that goes bad.

It's a PIA to fix and you can only get it at the dealer avg price $140
Does anyone have any more information on how to change this module, and if it's on the driver's or passengers side? My GF's 04 is doing the same thing.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM

Gently pull off the panel at the C Pillar. If it's a 4 door it will come off and hang down, the 2 door piece is much larger and you might have to remove the coat hook.

The mod is right there and held in by a 10 mm bolt. There are 3 wires pluged into it. 2 for the defroster and 1 for the radio anntena. Unplug, swap mods, and plug in and bolt in snugly (grounded here).

If you take the mod apart, you can souder the connenctions for the defroster and it will never break again
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Gently pull off the panel at the C Pillar. If it's a 4 door it will come off and hang down, the 2 door piece is much larger and you might have to remove the coat hook.

The mod is right there and held in by a 10 mm bolt. There are 3 wires pluged into it. 2 for the defroster and 1 for the radio anntena. Unplug, swap mods, and plug in and bolt in snugly (grounded here).

If you take the mod apart, you can souder the connenctions for the defroster and it will never break again
Cool, is it on the driver's or passenger's side? I'm going to hit my local yard to practice pulling the part before I pull it on her car. Plus, last time I needed a dealer item like that, it was $800 worth of headlight harness that I got for $3 at the yard.

Thanks for the tip on soldering it. If I score one at the yard, I'll probably solder it before I even install it.
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Pass side.

I pulled one at a junkyard too, but it was a 4 door car, I have a 2 door.

Be extra careful with the clips. I broke my stock A pillar taking it off to put in my gauge pod
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Pass side.

I pulled one at a junkyard too, but it was a 4 door car, I have a 2 door.

Be extra careful with the clips. I broke my stock A pillar taking it off to put in my gauge pod
Thanks for the info, I hit the yard today and couldn't find any Alero's. I figure I have until Oct to poke around the yard every week or two for one. At that point, I'll break down and order one from a used parts house.
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM

I went to the jy today and got the two modules. I'm kind of confused what they do. On the passenger side is a larger module that has a plug with 2 wires and a radio antenna plug. It has to 2 plugs coming off of it that connect to the back glass. On the driver's side is a smaller module that has one connector to the back glass.

My assumption is that the module on the driver's side is just a ground wire for the defroster. Should I replace both modules or just the one on the passenger side for starters?

Also, the modules I got came from an 02 Alero, does that seem like it would be an issue being as my car is an 04? I'm going to try to cross check the factory part numbers from both sets of modules when I replace them.
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM

More info on it!!

It's not the mod that craps out, it's the plug that melts.

What I'm going to to, is buy a T-60 socket and remove the shoulder strap for the seat belt to get better access, open up the mod, pull the plug off the wires, and soder the connections.

Read about it somewhere on the net, works pretty good too. There are 4 wires on the mod. 2 go to the window for the antenna and rear window defroster, the melting plug, and the antenna wire from the radio. I couldn't get the antenna wire off due to the limited space, so I'm buying the Torx socket as mentioned above and might pick up a soldering iron if my buddy can't find his "Cold Heat" one he said I could have.

When I do it, I'll post a how to with pics on here and Aleromod.com, but it might not be for a while yet, becuase my son will be comming anyday now
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by djd71355
I have a 2003 Alero. The rear window defogger will not work. I replaced the fuse and the relay. Still nothing. When I push the defogger button the light goes on but no action in the back. Any ideas?