Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1965 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday sedan

Old October 26th, 2011, 05:06 AM

1965 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday sedan

I kind of hate to put this ad up and offer the car for sale, but I just don't like letting the car sit there in my garage. If the car were a completely restored "trailer queen", I'd be OK with it. But this is a car that should be driven and enjoyed. I just haven't used it like I thought I would, so I'd rather see it go to someone who can put it to use. If nobody buys it, I'll keep it, my kids love the car. Here's more info on it, along with a link to pictures. I took a bunch of close ups at the request of someone who had been interested in buying it.

This car had it's original owner from 1965 until 2008. It was then bought by a fellow member of this forum (I think he went by Radioburningchrome). I bought it from him over the summer. I bought it with the plan to use it to take my wife and young kids out to cruise nights, the ice cream shop, etc... Since we've had it, we've only used it 2 or 3 times. We're just too busy, and the car just sits in my garage, so that's why I'm putting it up for sale.

It has 130,000 original miles. To my knowledge, the engine has not been rebuilt or overhauled. It's a 425ci V8, 2bbl carb. 310hp and 390lb/ft of torque. 3 speed auto trans. It runs and drives amazingly well for it's age. Engine has tons of power, trans shifts fine. Steering works fine, though if you're familiar with mid-60's GM, "steering" is a relative term. The car seems to have had routine upkeep all its' life. The guy I bought it from also did some work on the car, such as suspension bushings, cooling hoses, fan belt, etc... That said, it's by no means perfect, hence my cheap asking price. Interior is in decent shape, but not great. Same for the body. It's OK, but it's not a show car. It's a cruiser. Minimal rust.

I've got a ton of spare parts to go with the car. Extra body trim (not in great shape, but it's there and salvagable), misc parts, etc... I have the original keys and I'm pretty sure I got a copy of it's build sheet.

The only thing I've done to the car since I had it was have a set of 5 seat belts installed. The car had lap only belts in the front seat. I had lap/shoulder belts installed. Two up front, 3 sets in the rear. That was done by a professional mechanic, not me, so it was done right. I've got the original lap only belts.

Here's a link to the pictures.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/Klayfish/1965%20Olds%20Delta/

Price is $2000
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Car is still available
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice looking car. My principal had one exactly like that. I remember the car well because it was so huge. (probably had to be, cause the principal was huge too! We used to joke that he had like 10 kids in the trunk serving detention) For 46 years old it's in really decent shape. The only thing wrong with this style of car is there's not a lot of parts available aftermarket, and you need someone who's into land yachts. Hope you do sell it, hopefully it will be another Olds enthusiast.
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...16772&viewitem=
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
Gotta expect that - it's been posted for sale since Oct on this site. That car will clean up nicely in the engine bay and interior.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Guess it had to be sold to finance a 1991 Geo Tracker (purchased October)!

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/...Geo%20Tracker/
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Aacckkkk! splutter, choke.... I'm flabbergasted and mortified. A Tracker??? Well its only 500 bucks and a great little grocery getter.
How did you tie the Tracker to this 65 though? I don't see anything that suggests that.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM

Detective work!

Information on Tracker page mentions it was purchased on October 22, 2011.

This posting for sale was October 26, 2011.

Coincidence?

Looks like funding another project. Nothing wrong there, most of us have done that.

Just concerned because I let the car go for $1100 and it sold on eBay for $1850
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just concerned because I let the car go for $1100 and it sold on eBay for $1850
Ah, so you're the original owner! I would have bought that off you for 1100 all day long too. How come you let it go? Aside from a little cleanup on the inside it looks like a very nice example of a bygone era.

FWIW? And I know you know this (hmmmm, that just sounds wierd) once you sell / pass title along to someone else you just know there's the option they can flip it for a profit. 1800 was still a steal for whoever bought it. Hope it went to an Olds enthusiast.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
How come you let it go?

FWIW? And I know you know this (hmmmm, that just sounds wierd) once you sell / pass title along to someone else you just know there's the option they can flip it for a profit. 1800 was still a steal for whoever bought it. Hope it went to an Olds enthusiast.
Car was garage kept for almost its whole life. I lost storage and it sat with just a tarp for one winter. Second winter was under a carport with tarp. Rust was coming out everywhere. Not enough time to spend on the car. My wife has not worked fulltime for a while and finances are tight.

I understand the concept of "flipping". the car was given away because his sons really liked the car! It was unreal.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Car was garage kept for almost its whole life. I lost storage and it sat with just a tarp for one winter. Second winter was under a carport with tarp. Rust was coming out everywhere. Not enough time to spend on the car. My wife has not worked fulltime for a while and finances are tight.
I get it. Really too bad that happened. But I also understand the economic necessities and $$ needed for projects. Have to make some unpopular and heartbreaking decisions between wants and needs today just to survive. Kind of wierd that it would start rusting in so short a time, but that happens. I think the car looked incredible for its age. thx for the info.