General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

nos 442 emblems

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM

nos 442 emblems

will be needing some new emblems for my 1970 442 convertible and was wondering if the fender, decklid and hood emblems were the same. also what year 442 emblems cross ref, too the 70 442 emblems? what are going rates on nos 442 emblems ? thanks guys,,,,,
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by charlierogers
will be needing some new emblems for my 1970 442 convertible and was wondering if the fender, decklid and hood emblems were the same. also what year 442 emblems cross ref, too the 70 442 emblems? what are going rates on nos 442 emblems ? thanks guys,,,,,
The 69/70 hood tongue center '4' emblem is unique. They have one of the 4's with a slight bend in the middle to fit the tongue. They are repopped. I have a full set of 72 442 numbers. One set of '442' is completely NOS and you need a magnifying glass to see the difference between them and the repops. They are really nice quality.

I have a GM Parts Manual so I looked up the emblems you want. The side and trunk emblems are in Group 8.147. For model years 69-71 the "4"' emblem is part number 230722.
The '2' emblem is 230723. Oh, back then they cost 3.00 each...

The Hood tongue emblems are special sizes: They are in Group 8.055
The first 4 is part 230712
The second 4 is part 230713 (has the bend in the 4)
The 2 is 230714
These cost 3.60 each back in the day.....

Does this help? I know you can get complete sets of front/side/rear from Parts Place, Fusicks, Year One, etc.
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
The 69/70 hood tongue center '4' emblem is unique. They have one of the 4's with a slight bend in the middle to fit the tongue. They are repopped. I have a full set of 72 442 numbers. One set of '442' is completely NOS and you need a magnifying glass to see the difference between them and the repops. They are really nice quality.

I have a GM Parts Manual so I looked up the emblems you want. The side and trunk emblems are in Group 8.147. For model years 69-71 the "4"' emblem is part number 230722.
The '2' emblem is 230723. Oh, back then they cost 3.00 each...

The Hood tongue emblems are special sizes: They are in Group 8.055
The first 4 is part 230712
The second 4 is part 230713 (has the bend in the 4)
The 2 is 230714
These cost 3.60 each back in the day.....

Does this help? I know you can get complete sets of front/side/rear from Parts Place, Fusicks, Year One, etc.

yes, this helps. glad to know the repops are quality and very hard to tell from nos. Thanks for the in depth answere!!!!
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Trunk emblems are unique to the trunk as well.....slightly curved I believe and have a different method of attachment vs. the others (barrel nuts {ie press in} vs. speed nuts).

I show different part numbers for the trunk numerals:

"4" 8704068
"2" 8704067

Last edited by 70Post; December 5th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:53 AM

70Post is correct. The fender emblems have screw on nuts in the back, and the trunk emblems are push in.

Over the years, buying them from the dealership, I found that the earlier boxes included the speed nuts, but later boxes did not. In fact, you could still get them from the dealer in the early 90s. Forget when they actually got discontinued. Don't know if they were supposed to or not. But the trunk emblems all came with a pack of barrel nuts inside.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post
Trunk emblems are unique to the trunk as well.....slightly curved I believe and have a different method of attachment vs. the others (barrel nuts {ie press in} vs. speed nuts).

I show different part numbers for the trunk numerals:

"4" 8704068
"2" 8704067
Right on the money Patton. I didn't look at Group 12.182 Sorry about that. Learned something new about using the GM Parts manual. LOOK at the HEADINGS - duh.... Wierd that the part numbers are the same for 69-72 but they list 72 separately.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM
MOTORHEAD

Question

A couple years ago I purchased a set of trunk emblems NOS and paid $100 for the set. I am not sure what $ they are fetching these days.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
A couple years ago I purchased a set of trunk emblems NOS and paid $100 for the set. I am not sure what $ they are fetching these days.
For NOS? Think stupid money.
For the repop sets? About 120.00 + the ride from Parts place and Fusicks. That's for all 4 sets complete
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...&YearList=1970
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM

I thought about recently buying some re-popped fender emblems from one of the suppliers.

Fact of the matter is, Cutlass 'S' Holes stamped in fenders from the factory don't match the holes stamped for the 4-4-2 models.

All in all, i've Decided to wear my Cutlass 'S' Badge Proudly, Even though i'm going for the front 4-4-2 grille Look.

My cutlass emblems are crappy too, i'll eventually look around for a nice set of the Cutlass and 'S' Parts.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
MOTORHEAD

Tony72Cutlass'S'

"All in all, i've Decided to wear my Cutlass 'S' Badge Proudly, Even though i'm going for the front 4-4-2 grille Look.

My cutlass emblems are crappy too, i'll eventually look around for a nice set of the Cutlass and 'S' Parts. "

Good call on keeping the Cutlass a Cutlass!

WoW are those repro 442 #'s inexpensive!
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Definitely, I like to keep the Cutlass 'S' Fire alive.

It's important to keep your car the way you like it, regardless of what improves value, be it Colour, Hood, emblems, or whatnot (unless that's what the owner is going for of course.)

I'm probably going to eventually add an OAI hood to my setup. My hood louvers are shot and i think another pair would be 1/4 the price of a new hood. Anyone know what a nice set of hood louvers costs anyway?

Originally Posted by 1971four4two

Tony72Cutlass'S'

"All in all, i've Decided to wear my Cutlass 'S' Badge Proudly, Even though i'm going for the front 4-4-2 grille Look.

My cutlass emblems are crappy too, i'll eventually look around for a nice set of the Cutlass and 'S' Parts. "

Good call on keeping the Cutlass a Cutlass!

WoW are those repro 442 #'s inexpensive!
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll keep both of you in mind. I have a few sets of Cutlass scripts and S emblems that are in really nice shape. My replacement NOS fenders didn't come with perforations so I can use pretty much whatever I want on the side. Probably will knock off the studs and use 2 sided tape though. I really don't want to drill the metal.

The Cutlass scripts and S emblems are also repopped. From Fusick it would cost roughly 125 to put new Cutlass S on the sides and Cutlass on the deck. (6 pieces). All in, that's not really a lot of money for new parts that look great.

Are you both putting the body side moldings on your cars? The Cutlass S this was a standard feature, along with the wheel reveal and rocker trim.

Tony, we gotta hook you up with some sport mirrors. Once you put them on, you'll be amazed how much better the car looks, and improves your right side visibility too!
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM

I'll keep both of you in mind. I have a few sets of Cutlass scripts and S emblems that are in really nice shape. My replacement NOS fenders didn't come with perforations so I can use pretty much whatever I want on the side. Probably will knock off the studs and use 2 sided tape though. I really don't want to drill the metal.

The Cutlass scripts and S emblems are also repopped. From Fusick it would cost roughly 125 to put new Cutlass S on the sides and Cutlass on the deck. (6 pieces). All in, that's not really a lot of money for new parts that look great.

Are you both putting the body side moldings on your cars? The Cutlass S this was a standard feature, along with the wheel reveal and rocker trim.

Tony, we gotta hook you up with some sport mirrors. Once you put them on, you'll be amazed how much better the car looks, and improves your right side visibility too!
Sounds great! I was looking at the sport mirrors last year. They look pretty pricey.. Not sure what they're at now but it'd be great to eventually get a pair. And it would also be nice to see out of my passenger side :P

Sounds great! Let me know if you're ever looking to offload some emblem stock. I thought about getting my own rechromed but they're a tad beyond hope with severe pitting. I will definitely be adding the rocker and reveal mouldings. They are all sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I shall have to polish them up nicely and see how they look. No pitting though!
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM

For NOS? Think stupid money.
For the repop sets? About 120.00 + the ride from Parts place and Fusicks. That's for all 4 sets complete
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...&YearList=1970
i have not look for a while but the last i looked you could find NOS 442 emblems on eBay for not much more than reproduction. i will need to pay attention for a while and see. i will likely have several sets of NOS ones for sale in the future.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i have not look for a while but the last i looked you could find NOS 442 emblems on eBay for not much more than reproduction.
Eric, I think it depends on how they are listed, when they are listed and current market demand. If they are listed as NOS and have GM boxes etc, the last set I saw went for over 450.00 Personally I don't think they're worth that since they were only around 3-4 bucks each at date of manufacture. Repops have come a long way and look almost identical.

I know that Joe P is very fond of reminding that people will pay what they want, and NOS 'reserves' on ebay don't always reflect what the market will support. Still there are some people out there with more money than they need. NOS is nice, but IMO it's getting to be a specialized market with overinflated prices for rich dudes and dudettes

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i will likely have several sets of NOS ones for sale in the future.
You tease! For how much??