1992 cutlass convt. flasher location!??

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:45 AM

1992 cutlass convt. flasher location!??

Hello,

I have a 92 oldsmobile cutlass supreme convertable. I cannot figure out where the turn signal flasher is located. If anybody could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm assuming it's my flasher that needs to be changed. When I put my turn signal on (either left or right) the turn signal blinks VERY quickly. I don't think I have a lamp out because when I turn my hazards on they blink normally.

Thanks guys!
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM

I think the hazzard and turn signals use 2 different flashers. Turn signal flasher is usually clipped to a panel near the steering column. Fast flashing usually means a bad bulb, are you sure yours are good? Can you hear the flasher ticking?
Sorry, brain fart - bad bulb means no flash. that's what I get for trying to type fast between phone calls at work.

Last edited by frankr442; December 1st, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by frankr442
I think the hazzard and turn signals use 2 different flashers. Turn signal flasher is usually clipped to a panel near the steering column. Fast flashing usually means a bad bulb, are you sure yours are good? Can you hear the flasher ticking?
I do believe they do use 2 seperate flashers. I'm not sure it's a bulb because when I turn my hazards on all four cornors blink normally (not quickly). And I can hear a clicking near my glove box. So if a bulb was bad then wouldn't my hazards blink quickly as well?

When I turn the turn signals on I can hear an initial click once and then it goes away and my blinkers are blinking really quickly. I took off the cover piece below my steering column and cant seem to find it!
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Olds92
... if a bulb was bad then wouldn't my hazards blink quickly as well?
No.

The turn signal flasher is designed to flash differently if a bulb is out, but the 4-way flasher is designs to flash the same speed across a variety of numbers of bulbs.
You can swap the two flashers, and the lights will flash about the same, provided none are burned out.

Why not just turn on the 4-ways and walk around the car once and look at the bulbs? It's quicker than asking a question on the internet.

- Eric
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:14 PM

I did put my hazards on and walked around the car. Just trying to figure out where the turn signal flasher is located.
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hello,

I have a 92 oldsmobile cutlass supreme convertable. I cannot figure out where the turn signal flasher is located. If anybody could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm assuming it's my flasher that needs to be changed. When I put my turn signal on (either left or right) the turn signal blinks VERY quickly. I don't think I have a lamp out because when I turn my hazards on they blink normally.

Thanks guys!
Yes the symptoms you describe are consistent with a bad flasher. If the bulb was burnt out these circuits are designed to make the green turn indicator on the dash go solid green.

You are right, there are 2 flashers. One for the hazards and one for the turns signals. The one you are looking for should be in the same place as the 1995 Regency I owned. It's under the AC shroud on the drivers side, which means you'll have to undo it and drop it so you can get access. It will either be taped or clipped to the subframe close to the column. The hazard lights are on a completely different circuit, that's why the lights operate normally when you used it.
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Thank you so much!
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I did put my hazards on and walked around the car. Just trying to figure out where the turn signal flasher is located.
Sorry. That's not what it sounded like when I read this:
I don't think I have a lamp out because when I turn my hazards on they blink normally.
- Eric