Column Shift to Floor Shift

Old May 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
65 post sport coupe w/425

Column Shift to Floor Shift

Hey guys, been a long time since I've posted anything. Hope everyone is doing well.

Question for the experts. I'm considering changing the column shifter in my 1965 F-85 to a floor shift (automatic TH 350). 1. Is there a reccomended shifter/kit? 2. Is it difficult/anything to beware of?

I'd really like to find an old console and shifter from a similar vintage 442 if anyone has one but will settle for an aftermarket that works and looks good. Any thoughts and thanks.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

http://shiftworks.com/
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks, but would also need a console?
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Do you have or plan to change to buckets? Factory shifters and consoles for a 65 are available if you want to go that route. Aftermarket shifters tend to have mini consoles that just cover the shifter. It's your call.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Thanks Joe, I've got buckets and have the carpet and interior out so nows the time if I'm going to change up. I agree with you on the aftermarket stuff and the small consoles. Where can I get a factory console and shifter for the 65? Thanks again for your advice over the years.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsproject
Thanks Joe, I've got buckets and have the carpet and interior out so nows the time if I'm going to change up. I agree with you on the aftermarket stuff and the small consoles. Where can I get a factory console and shifter for the 65? Thanks again for your advice over the years.
Good used is your only option. The 64-66 automatic consoles are all the same. Shiftworks sells shifter gates to turn that two speed shifter into a three or four speed shifter, depending on your trans selection.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There is a 66 console for sale on this site in the for sale forum right now.
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Good used is your only option. The 64-66 automatic consoles are all the same. Shiftworks sells shifter gates to turn that two speed shifter into a three or four speed shifter, depending on your trans selection.
will the conversion kit that for 65-66 that change it from a 2 speed shifter to a 3 speed also work for a 64?
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Got everything I need (console, tach, wire harness, and shifter). Now the big question, anyone have measurements on the exact location of the hole for the shifter or pictures. This is for a 65 olds.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM

Sorry for bring this one back to life, but thought it would be better than starting a new thread. So Oldsproject, how did the conversion go? I would like to do the same to my 64 cutlass column shift in the next year since I need to replace the carpet. The measurement was probably the toughest part so any help there would be great.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Keener
Sorry for bring this one back to life, but thought it would be better than starting a new thread. So Oldsproject, how did the conversion go? I would like to do the same to my 64 cutlass column shift in the next year since I need to replace the carpet. The measurement was probably the toughest part so any help there would be great.
Conversion was actually pretty easy and depends on what you intend to do. I had a broken shifter base so I simply cut off the bottom bracket then laid it onto the tunnel to see where it rested the best. Compared that to some pictures then used a hole saw to cut through. Was a bit tenuous but worked out perfectly.

A few things you'll need to consider are:
1. You'll need console brackets (available from Fusick)
2. Wiring harness from the console
3. You'll need a shifter conversion kit from shiftworks (only if you have anything other then your Jetaway tranny).
4. The dash panel should be changed and the housing on the steering column if you want a completed look.

Other than that, pretty easy. I can send you some pix if you want. Also if you haven't already there's another great web-site dedicated to 64 and 65 owners like ourselves just follow this link http://ultra-hi-comp.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM

thanks, I still have the original tranny. So just need to acquire the console base, tach, etc. I will join the other forum as well. thanks for leting me know about it.