Name this color...PLEASE!!

Old August 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Name that color...PLEASE!!

Hi all... I'm trying to replace a couple trim pieces on my 71 Cutlass and I am having one hell of a time trying to match my interior color to pretty much anything! I've ordered some arm rest pads in dark saddle which I thought was the correct color description only to find out that its not. I also ordered some vinyl dye for the ash try cover which only comes in black and a console door that also only comes in black. In an attempt to make sure I bought the correct dye I ended up buying 2 of them... Dark saddle and Tan. I painted a sheet of white paper just to see if it would be some what close but its not. I do know that the interior carpet color is "Dark Copper" according to Auto Carpets Online...I know this because after I spent $175 on Dark Saddle floor mats they didn't match. Having said that when you look on Year Ones site they don't list Copper but they do have Burnt Orange...

Anyway have a look please and let me know! Also I placed the new arm pad that is in Dark Saddle on top of the old one so you could see the contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00771.jpg (74.8 KB, 44 views)
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Name this color...PLEASE!!

I posted this in the Editors section but it should have went here:

Hi all... I'm trying to replace a couple trim pieces on my 71 Cutlass and I am having one hell of a time trying to match my interior color to pretty much anything! I've ordered some arm rest pads in dark saddle which I thought was the correct color description only to find out that its not. I also ordered some vinyl dye for the ash try cover which only comes in black and a console door that also only comes in black. In an attempt to make sure I bought the correct dye I ended up buying 2 of them... Dark saddle and Tan. I painted a sheet of white paper just to see if it would be some what close but its not. I do know that the interior carpet color is "Dark Copper" according to Auto Carpets Online...I know this because after I spent $175 on Dark Saddle floor mats they didn't match. Having said that when you look on Year Ones site they don't list Copper but they do have Burnt Orange...

Anyway have a look please and let me know! Also I placed the new arm pad that is in Dark Saddle on top of the old one so you could see the contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00768.jpg (74.8 KB, 38 views)
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Resident Eskie

All right try this on for size. 1971 Cutlass S with bench seat the color would be called Sienna color code 979. Check your cowl tag.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM
"Car"mudgeon

If you post your cowl tag trim info or better yet take a pic of it and post it we can decode it for you. Here is a link to help you deduce what you have originally....

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...obile-pg02.jpg
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM

I had good luck going to ProFit to find what I needed by sending samples.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
If you post your cowl tag trim info or better yet take a pic of it and post it we can decode it for you. Here is a link to help you deduce what you have originally....

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...obile-pg02.jpg

Thank you very much...I suppose I should have just listed the trim code which is 939 or according to your link is Dark Sienna...

Well that seemed easy, I've been searching Google for weeks looking for that exact info and couldn't find it!

Cheers!
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Better yet I've only been able to find tag trim info for 442's so I'll post mine here as I don't know what the the last code is.

ST 71 33687LAN410264 BDY

TR 939 67-67 PNT

05C

Its the 05C I'm not sure of...I think its the seat code which should be buckets.
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by snowballs442
All right try this on for size. 1971 Cutlass S with bench seat the color would be called Sienna color code 979. Check your cowl tag.

Your are correct on the color but the trim code is 939 and it has buckets... Right after I posted this I also put it in the Cutlass section... I always new the trim code but couldn't find a decoder for Cutlass's only 442's . This stuff is a snap for you guys I really should have posted this BEFORE I bought the arm rests and dye!

Thanks guys/girls!
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Resident Eskie

Is it possible that the car came with buckets? 939 does not sound familar. What is the cowl tag read from top to bottom?
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM
"Car"mudgeon

05C would mean .... C= third week, ... 05 = May ... so third week of may '71 build date
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Resident Eskie

From the tag the car is a 1971 Cutlass Holiday Coupe built in Lansing
05C is the built date 3rd week in May
Darn Looks like someone beat me to it.
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/wa

Originally Posted by Lickity Split

That new arm pad doesn't look dark saddle.
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by theoldsrocket
I think it is, just depends on how the light hits it. Mine looked that way in one of these lower pictures, but looked correct in others.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post167639
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by theoldsrocket
It does look a little deceiving because the sun was shinning right on it, but the color is way off, almost grey-ish.