Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1966 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 4 door sedan

Old November 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Location: Saskatchewan, Canada in the summer and south of Phoenix in the winter
1966 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 4 door sedan

1966 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 4 door sedan for sale.

37,000 miles, in original condition, but it has been painted in the past. Has air conditioning. It has no rust.

This is basically a one-owner car, but it is not mine. It belongs to a friend who inherited it from her parents when they passed away. Her father purchased it new in 1966. She's been told by car magazines she could ask $10,000 but will take reasonable offers.

She is unsure of the engine size, but her dad was always proud of the fact that it had ‘the biggest they made’ so maybe that was the 425 that year?

This is a Utah car – it is in St. George UT right now, but my friend lives south of Phoenix with her kids. Her husband was in the process of replacing the signal light lever ring when he passed away a couple years ago, but the parts are in the car.

The car is dusty and neglected, so does not look at it’s best, but there are several photos here http://www.antiquecarsforsale.ca/olds_jetstar.html .

You can email the owner (Judy) at jdsteggell at hotmail dot com.

Last edited by peglomaniac; November 13th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old November 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by peglomaniac
She's been told by car magazines she could ask $10,000
In what universe?

What does this mean? She actually contacted the editors at the magazines, and they actually told her this? After seeing the photos? Remind me to cancel my subscriptions to those magazines!

The car looks like it has potential, but it's certainly not a $10,000 car as it sits there on its flat tires and covered in dust. Four-doors are not as desirable a body style, either, and, among four-doors, 4-door hardtops are more desirable than 4-door sedans, at least from a collectability standpoint. This is a sedan, so it's lowest on the totem pole. But the car is nice-looking for someone who would want something like it.

The Old Cars Price Guide (December 2010 edition) lists the value of a 1966 Jetstar 88 4-door sedan in showroom condition at $8,000. In "car show" condition, it's $5,200. In good restorable condition, it's $2,300. I think this car falls between the latter two, so a value of somewhere in the $3,000 to $4,000 range, maybe even $4,500, is probably realistic. The low mileage will help, as will the one-ownerness. But only to a point. It's still the car itself that sells, and it has to be intrinsically valuable to command premium prices.

Collector Car Market Review lists values that are generally in line with these, although a bit lower overall.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../66olje88.html

They've got showroom condition (#1) listed at $7,025, car show (#2) at $4,650, and good restorable (#3) at $2,625. These values are for cars with the 330 V-8. If your car has the larger 425, CCMR says to add 15% only if it's the highest horsepower version.

Of course, what all of these price guides list are just averages, sometimes very average averages. But I think the overall point is that this car is probably not worth $10,000 nor anywhere near it. If somebody offered her $5,000, she should take it and run.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 13th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by peglomaniac
1966 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 4 door sedan for sale.

She is unsure of the engine size, but her dad was always proud of the fact that it had ‘the biggest they made’ so maybe that was the 425 that year?
The largest and only engine available in the 66 Jetstar was the 330 and it appears this one is only a 2bbl carb. Take off the dust and the car will look much better. Prob 4000 dollar tops. Demand for these is nill.
Old November 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The largest and only engine available in the 66 Jetstar was the 330 and it appears this one is only a 2bbl carb.
This is what I thought, but then the Collector Car Market Review website shows the 425 as an option. I'm going to guess they're wrong.

Setting the Pace agrees with what you say. It shows the 330 V-8 as the only engine available in the '66 Jetstar 88, and it was available in 250, 260, and 320 hp versions.
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Location: Saskatchewan, Canada in the summer and south of Phoenix in the winter
She probably did not send the car mags the photos. I must admit, I too was rather disappointed in them too when I finally saw them, but I feel for the lady. She lost her husband and has not returned to the farm. I told her too, to get someone to clean it up - I know it looks bad the way it sits.

I really do appreciate the feedback though, and will pass that along to her.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Rocket Veteran

A car like that is pretty much worth whatever (if ever) someone offers her..Craigslist has many many 4 door Olds' listed at next to nothing (Under $2000).
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM

I noticed the shift quadrant reads P R N D S L. Didn't the 330 come w/a Jetaway?
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vern H
I noticed the shift quadrant reads P R N D S L. Didn't the 330 come w/a Jetaway?

Well the engine looks wide like a BB. So if its got the BB it would have a 400 trans. I also noticed the switch for a switch pitch trans.
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM

I like the car. But with the interior stained and worned, not running and driving, old tires, faided paint, 4dr. She would be lucky to get $1200 from anyone. But i also do like the car too
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vern H
For 1966 you could get both Jetaway and THM in the Jetstar, but just THM in the Dynamic and Delta...
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM

I'd like the car too.... But $1000 or so would be max for me on that ride... Needs some work and though I've thought of trying to find a Jetstar 88, I'd pass til there's one worth the money....
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM

Hmmm...... Except for colors, this is an exact match to my first car. I think I may want to look into this. What do you you all think is a good as-is offer for it?

Suggestions? Anyone know of any other Jetstar 4door Sedans ? My first preference would be a Silver Grey or Metallic Blue with a Blue or Torquoise interior. What attracts me to this particular car is its all original (well except the paint? it was apparently repainted at some point?) Still .. Its one of 3 possible models I am interested in. Guess I ll have to look.

For anyone with a Jetstar/ Dynamic/ Delta 88 4dr I know of a running 66 Jetstar 4 dr in Melbourne Fl $800 bucks and IMO too far gone for a restore but tons of great usable parts.. Let me know if you need anything and I will put you in touch with the owner.. it has the 330/Jetaway 2spd supposedly runs great.

Let me know ..

Last edited by timmycan; January 18th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM

I bought it !
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM

congrats!!!
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Excellent. Post pics as you go.
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Will do... Awaiting transport of it from its current location , to my home in Jacksonville, Fl... Am excited.. Of course I bought it sight unseen, but I think I got a good deal on it.. The only one I could find in Florida was so far gone , it would not have been a feasible one for restoration.. This one certainly appears to better meet that criteria, without spending a million dollars, give or take

Once its cleaned up and road-ready, I ll post pics! Thanks for the lead, Peglomaniac ! By the way, The tires and battery had to be replaced to even move it,, so it already looks better, im sure !
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by timmycan
Once its cleaned up and road-ready, I ll post pics!
Don't wait that long. Post up a couple of it with good tires and no dust!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM

As of yesterday, (Good Friday) The Jetstar was finally loaded onto a car carrier, and has departed it's long time home in Utah, destined for Jacksonville, Florida.. According to the carrier's driver ,Victor the car will arrive to me, Wednesday.. Judy, the seller , called me right after the car was loaded to let me know , it was finally on its way..

SO.....It has new tires.. crossing my fingers that the paint looks fairly well and I will get her spiffed up, the minor repairs done to the turnsignal and missing horn medallion, and get some new pics up of it. Thanks again to Peg , for posting this thread, leading me to the car.. To Judy for working with me in storing the car and her neighbor who stored it for a while, and all that pitched in to make this a reality. Im finally getting a pretty much exact match of my first car in High School. pretty stoked !
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM

As of yesterday, (Good Friday)
Hmmm. Some kind of omen there. Likely a very positive one.

All sounds great. You should take photos as it sits there on the truck before it's off-loaded and post them.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM

Definitely! Cam on stand-by
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Blind faith pays off....

The Jetstar arrived at my house at 8:30 pm this evening. Having bought the car sight unseen, having only the photographs to go by, and having Peg and Judy the seller to go by, I must say , I AM SO THRILLED with the car. It rides , is tight , and it is very definitely is a low-mileage automobile. It needs mostly cleaning up and very little restoration work.. the interior is in AMAZING original condition. My room mate, Ryan and I took the car for a drive in our neighborhood. It is a BABY !! I am so pleased with my purchase...

I called Judy to tell her the car is here and I am so pleased with it.. She was in tears ...This was her parent's /Grandmother's car so I know it was hard for her to part with it... but she told me she knew when she talked to me , that she wanted me to have the car.

I will shortly have pics up.. took many , just of it arriving by carrier.. The car-carrier dude KNOWS his work and knows how to maneuver that truck.. he was in and out of here in a flash! Would highly recommend him if anyone needs a transporter.

The Jetstar is finally at her new home in Jacksonville , Florida, and I am thrilled..no..ecstatic with what I bought.. Thank you Peg, and Thank you Judy. Both of you are wonderful souls !!!!

Last edited by timmycan; April 27th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Sweet.... Glad you have your "new" Olds 88 to cruise the streets of Jax.... If I ever happen to return to FLA again on vacation and travel thru the fair city (and spot a '66 Jetstar 88), I'm sure I'll know who the owner is...
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Super story! Good luck with it!
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds great!

It's always good when the right car and person find each other.

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:50 PM

i can't wait to see pics man!
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Got the interior cleared of blankets and stuff...presume they were in place so as to preserve the interior. Located all the repair parts to fix the turn-signal.. The center piece for the steering wheel is different than the one of my original Jetstar. I would like to locate one like that one ( was clear and had Oldsmobile and the Olds Logo on it) to replace it.. The folks that owned it, evidently were non-smokers . The ashtrays look like new and the lighter does as well.. It even has a clean smell which is surprising ,given how long it has sat.

Stranger....if you are ever in Jax , look me up...that goes as well for all of you.
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:29 AM

Stranger....if you are ever in Jax , look me up...that goes as well for all of you.
oh for sure man!! i have an old high school buddy who lives there.... i need to get down to see him one of these days so i'll definately look you up if i come down...
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:27 PM

So this is what my car needs.....if any of you out there have parts cars or suggestions as to where I can find these..

It needs both hood hinges.. and Im looking for the medallion that goes in the steering wheel that has the clear lens with Oldsmobile written on it and the Olds symbol in the middle. Mine has an all Metal one- If I can't find the other, this one will have to do but id like to find it. I do have pictures but haven't figured out how to upload them,,,
When it arrived by Carrier all of the hubcaps were off.. nothing i hate worse than to look at a car without hubcaps.. but they were in the car.. and once it was in my yard the first thing that happened was..the hubcaps went back on. I did order the new signal cam for the steering column. there was supposed to be one, but it wasn't there when i cleaned the car up. Anyway, Ill get pics up soon ..its cleaned up somewhat. It will definitely need a paintjob but thats okay too
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Fusick shows hood hinges for your car on page 24 of their latest Big-Car catalog (21BC). You can download it here:

http://www.fusick.com/catfile/Catalo...yout%201_3.pdf

They're new, and they're $79.50 apiece, so a pair will set you back almost $160 plus shipping.

The springs, however, are not included.

The catalog says they fit any 1965 or 1966 88 or 98 and any 1966 or 1967 Toronado, so, if you want to look for used pieces, some from any of these cars would fit.

As far as the steering wheel medallion, I'm pretty sure that will have to come from a donor car as they are very likely not reproduced.
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Is this the horn button you're looking for?
I'm thinking this was for a deluxe wheel and the one you have is probably original to your standard steering wheel. The chrome one would make a nice dressup item.

PS: I don't have the pictured horn button - I just found it in a Google search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66horn.jpg (36.8 KB, 30 views)
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:55 AM
"me somebody" site member

If the horn button looks like the one below, I am not sure the fancier-schmancier one will fit; I have one of these standard wheels (had it in my '65 J1 for a while before deciding it was too ugly and went back to the deluxe wheel)..the horn button has a deep rubber-like base that fits into the center recess of the wheel.

Old June 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM

that is exactly what this one looks like. Wierd because my first 1966 Jetstar 88 had the other style. I honestly cannot remember what the steering wheel looked like but it seems like it was the fancier one. Now that I think about it, I probably had the "Holiday Sedan" version .

Anyway my current Jetstar looks just like this pic on the interior ,except the color is Brown / Tope .
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by copper128
Is this the horn button you're looking for?
I'm thinking this was for a deluxe wheel and the one you have is probably original to your standard steering wheel. The chrome one would make a nice dressup item.

PS: I don't have the pictured horn button - I just found it in a Google search.

That looks closer to it.. I think there was actually another style but that one is pretty close .
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM

Ok... Not sure if I missed it somewhere but...what's the conclusion on which motor and trans is in the are?
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:28 PM

also, pics or it didn't happen.....
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:34 AM

That looks closer to it.. I think there was actually another style but that one is pretty close .

This is a picture of what I have. Is this what you need? PM if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 olds horn 1.jpg (45.9 KB, 28 views)
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM

That is it. How much?
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM

PM sent.
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I have one of these standard wheels (had it in my '65 J1 for a while before deciding it was too ugly and went back to the deluxe wheel)..

The deluxe wheel always looked nicer. Out of 3 1965 b body cars, all had the deluxe center.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Isn't that a '65 deluxe horn button?
Were they the same for '66?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 4 door sedan