Added PCV, Now Engine Covered in Oil

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM

Added PCV, Now Engine Covered in Oil

I have a 55 olds 88 with a 56 324 engine. The previous owner cut the road draft tube to about a half inch from the block. I decided to install a PCV to fix the problem and ran a pcv from the road draft tube to the base of my Edelbrock carb at the spot designated by Edelbrock for a PCV. After a few rides, it was clear that oil was coming out of the oil filler tube and possible the dipstick. This problem did not exist prior to adding the PCV. I realize this may mean that I have excessive blowby from a tired engine, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a fix. My oil fill tube still has the original vented cap and I did not run a line from the oil fill tube to the airfilter on the carb (and am hesitent to do so from fear of oiling up my air filter and fouling my plugs). Do I need a PCV with a larger flow? Will converting the PCV to a closed system fix the problem without causing other issues with the air filter and plugs? Other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Does the valve cover have a baffel in it?
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM

He added the PCV to the road draft tube at the back of the engine.

Hartley, There is a filter/baffle just inside the block, the draft tube bolts to. It may be plugged. You do need some type of fresh air inlet. I would think the oil filler tube breather cap should be good. I hate to ask, but are you sure you have vacuum to the valve.
I did one sometime ago and had to really control the amount of vacuum.

Gene
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:54 AM

Red dog and 64rocket,

The way it is set up it should pull fresh air through the vented cap on the oil fill tube. There is definitely vacuum to the pcv line. There was no problem with oil spry before I attached the pcv to the road draft tube, so I assume the spray was just going out the road draft tube. I have an aftermarket air cleaner with paper filter. If I replace the vented cap on the oil fill tube with a regular cap and run a fresh air line from the oil fill tube to the air cleaner, will I fill the air cleaner element with oil or will it be safely sucked in to the carb and burned off?
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by mhartley
will I fill the air cleaner element with oil or will it be safely sucked in to the carb and burned off?
It will be burned off unless its really bad, and the pcv hose would be plumbed in after the filter. This will avoid soaking the filter.
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM

How is the PCV valve mounted to the draft tube? I assume that it is in some type of grommet to seal it to the tube. With the valve in where does the oil come from?

Gene
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:44 PM

64rocket,

I thought I already posted a response to your last question, but when I logged on it was not there, so I will repost. The pcv connects to the road draft tube with an over the counter grommet and other parts which appear to give a good seal. The oil appears to be coming from the vented oil fill tube cap as well as the dipstick. If I am going to run a line from the fill tube to the air cleaner, I need to figure out a way to hook a line to the oil fill tube. Any thoughts on the best way to do it?
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Is there a way you could post a few pics of your pcv hookup and valvecovers, and where it's connected to carb.
Thanks