Guide plate install ???

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:24 AM

Question Guide plate install ???

Okay, before I install the new pushrods I need to know if it the guide plates are required to touch the pushrods for alignment purposes or if they need to be positioned to prevent pushrod from contacting sides of the cast hole in the cylinder head??

The kit I have is the Comp Cams 1441-kit.

The installation instructions are not clear. Also, what torque specification do I apply to the rocker arm studs? Factory spec or something else due to the guide plate being sandwiched in between the head and stud?

d1
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM

Bump - going to be doing this tomorrow night, want to ensure I am doing it correctly. Any input would be appreciated.

d1
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:55 PM

I install the guide plate and the studs finger tight. Then the rocker just to line it up with the valve. adjust the plate to line up, remove the rocker and torque the stud to 25 foot pounds. Make sure you have harden push rods.
You will have to play with it until you get it right. Make sure the plates don't move when you torque the studs.
Gene
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
I install the guide plate and the studs finger tight. Then the rocker just to line it up with the valve. adjust the plate to line up, remove the rocker and torque the stud to 25 foot pounds. Make sure you have harden push rods.
You will have to play with it until you get it right. Make sure the plates don't move when you torque the studs.
Gene
Thanks for the advice. So just so I understand, the bottom portion of the opening of the guide plate will have the hardened pushrod resting on it?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM

If I understand your question right the pushrod should only contact the sides of the guide plate slot and nothing else. Guide plates stop the rocker from rotating left to right by keeping the pushrod centered.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
If I understand your question right the pushrod should only contact the sides of the guide plate slot and nothing else. Guide plates stop the rocker from rotating left to right by keeping the pushrod centered.

Yes, that is what I am alluding to. Okay, I think I was picturing the guide plate opening being wider than the pushrod. Hopefully, I got the right guide plates for the 5/16" pushrods. I will check when I get home.

Thanks