Tell me the good and bad about Maaco paintjobs.

Old March 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Tell me the good and bad about Maaco paintjobs.

I have a 1983 oldsmobile delta 88 2 door, and am in need of a paint job. I cannot afford a high dollar paint job so I was considering maaco. I know they offer there presidential I think its called for sometimes half off. So if anyone has any experience with them. The quality of materials used, any other info would be greatly appreciated. My car is straight there are just a couple small dings in the body on the drivers side which I plan on taking care of myself with bondo before I take it to get painted.
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Hey Mash,
Where are you located? I think some of the Independent shops and WHO they're run by can make a significant difference in the overall quality result...I HAVE heard "decent things" about their presidential level jobs...BUT i've never actually SEEN the results of the work...just heard second hand. So, I'll be curious what those with actual experience might say too on here!
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Olds Dreamer

They paint more cars than any shop in the us. there painters are really good. but there preppin and body work sucks. so if u can do all ur sanding and prepping your self and have them spray it your car will look really good. but if u can sand it and prep it your self just take your self to the next level and spray it.

as i understand when u pay them for there preping and sanding they put it on a hourly go. so u will pay for two hours of sanding if they sand your whole car in two hours then great if they only sand 3/4 of it in two hours well its done off to the painters.
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Im in Springville Utah, Im sure theres one close. I had no idea that was the way they did it. Maybe I should just look on craigslist and find someone local that will just do it for a set fee.
Thanks for the info.
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Olds Dreamer

Its about time someone is close to me. lol i'm in tooele ut.
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Its good to see someone else from Utah here. By the way your car is awesome. Did you restore it, or buy it like that?.

Last edited by MASH4077; March 6th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

They are independent shops. I had one years ago on a 83 Cutlass and it was horrible. My brother had one done my Miracle and it turned out pretty decent. This was probably over 20 years ago. It is probably a crap shoot. I would look at some cars they done and discuss what you expect. They could not stay in business if they were all bad.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Also, the quality of the paint is important. You can shoot lacquer with a little practice, and the old style guns are cheap (knockoffs at Harbor Freight). Lacquer is correct and easy to repair.

Overall, I'd consider this to be an opportunity to learn and do. Where you really need help, like getting body wsork perfect or MIG welding in patches, you can get someone to help for a modest cost. You might find a hobbyist in a local old car club to help you.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

You get what you pay for.
I've heard of some that did a nice job but they're an exception to the rule, for that price you can't expect much.
My base and clear cost way more than their paint jobs and it ain't nothing special.
Don't go though any car washes or half the paint may be gone when you come out the other end.

If the paint is stable enough on the car for a place like Maaco to scuff and shoot it you may be able to get it done for decent price at a local paint or body shop and have something when your done.
I know my guy would do it for way less than two grand and have it done in a couple of days if you want to send it to Buckeyeland.
Get estimates from shops away from the big city/the sticks where they don't depend on insurance collision work so much and will do jobs like that.
A lot of those shops away from town are hurting around here and welcome anything.
You should see the car my guy just did, '69 Charger with a black pearl paint job with red metalflake.
He said the guy didn't want to pay for new quarters and fenders so he had to look at pics online to see what the bashed in and rusted out ones were supposed to look like then formed new ones out of bondo, said he used six gallons.

I would use a 2 part glazing putty like Evercoat Eurosoft on any dings or low spots, I love that stuff.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Go over to the one nearest you and look at some of the work they performed there. Possibly talk to others that have used that particular shop. The shop here in Ft Worth does a nice job for what they charge. Most people remove all the exterior trim items, bumpers, etc... Some prep themselves and others have let the shop do it. It's a nice driver quality paint job which I believe is all your after.

Good luck!!
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM

I really appreciate all your guys help. I will go to my local shop and see some of the cars they do.
Thanks..
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Olds Dreamer

< this car isnt mine just one that i found on the internet. mine is at the painters now. will look alot like it but i will also have the w-30 stripe going down the side.

i was told the maaco in west valley was pretty bad and that the one in utah county was better. which is good because it is closer to you.

if u ever get on ksl classifieds. there is some one always on there close to u. that is wanting to paint cars usually for pretty cheap. i will keep my eyes open for u.

do u just need a reapint or are u changeing colors?
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Well the car is 2 tone blue. Lighter blue on top, and darker on the bottom half. I was just thinking of having it done one solid color blue, because the 2 tone paint jobs are to costly for me at the moment.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by MASH4077
Well the car is 2 tone blue. Lighter blue on top, and darker on the bottom half. I was just thinking of having it done one solid color blue, because the 2 tone paint jobs are to costly for me at the moment.
It will probably cost u more money to redue the jams all to one color then u to redue the two tone. how bad is your paint job right now, how is the rust and is the body pretty straight.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM

The body is straight. Just has probably 2 tiny dings in the body. The paint is all faded, and the rust is light. It doesnt go through the metal so it will come off easily.

Last edited by MASH4077; March 8th, 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

My one experience with Maaco was what convinced me to start doing my own paint. Here's a little common sense math. The cost of quality paint job is about 90% labor and 10% materials. It costs me more for materials alone than Maaco charges for a complete paint job.
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Let me just give you my experience with Maaco. I got my car painted about 4 years ago just to get it one color instead of the multi color primer and gold paint that it was so my neighbors wouldn't complain about the car. It's cost me $500 total. The drivers side came out really nice. the passenger side....not so much. the quarter panel has MAJOR checking over about 80% of the panel and there are a few small runs in various spots. But for what I paid I can live with it. It was never meant to be the final paint job nor the final color.

Last edited by svnt442; March 7th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM

I managed 3 different Maaco's over the years, and others are right, it's all in the prep!
The paint can be very good - look at the finished cars there, and slide the painter a $20 - it works!!
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM

I have had 3 cars painted, all my kids rice burners. The paint is shot pretty thin but the shop I used fixed all 3 cars at no charge when I showed them the faults in the job. They reshot the whole car when they fix the problem and they all came out nice the second time.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM

I'm in Orem utah and working on my 442 right now. As for the Maaco here in Orem they are okay. Like was said earlier their prep sucks but I've have a few buddies get their rigs done and you can't beat the cost. I'd suggest going to Lindon Collision. They are awesome and do a lot of classic cars. They are building a sweet challenger for my buddy.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:45 PM

what year is your 442?. Are you doing all the work yourself?.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM

MAACO quality varies by location, but for a Delta 88 that's not going to be a trailer queen , go for it.
Like someone else said, pay extra attention to their blocking , cutting and buffing. Get the top of the line paint job and you should be fine.

Bring a body guy to inspect their prep work before being painted.

Everyone thinks painting is something that's so simple, but it's ALOT of prep work.
Not everyone is willing to do it properly and their home paint jobs are pretty obvious.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 7th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Mash

My car in the signature pic was painted by maaco. The previous owner had taken care of the metal work (rust, etc) prior to the paint job. It wasn't blocked so you can see slight waves in the paint if you look down the side of the car. However I still get a lot of compliments and it passes the 10' test.

d1
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM

MAACO quality varies by location
I totally agree. Im in Brooklyn, NY and they have those Mexicans working in the back. Some will do a half fast job and the paint will have some runs and waves. Shop around and asked some customers or go to a local car show and asked them where they get their car painted. You will never know if a small body shop is a lot better than Maaco.
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by MASH4077
what year is your 442?. Are you doing all the work yourself?.
I've got a 1970. I bought it about 6 months ago, it ran when I got it and is in pretty good shape. Just redoing the fuel system on it and upgrading the brakes. I'm doing the work myself, it does need a bit of body work too. I'm just looking for a daily driver that is sweet and fun!!
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up

TONS of good feedback here -- good stuff! ALL good to know! Now I know what homework I'll need to do too when the time comes! Thanks all!
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM

I took my car to Maaco here in Northern Ca. to see how much to spray with me doing all the prep work. First of all, the shop owner was a woman who was very condescending(my first turn-off) She told me I could get a single stage spray for around $800. However , this did NOT include the door jambs, inside of trunk, or top of fenders under the hood. $150 each X 5, another $650. PLUS they would not give me any warranty since I prepped the car myself. Later days to that. As it worked out, a painter friend of mine coached me on all the prep work, and charged me a nominal $500 to shoot it. My material costs were around $800, so I got a pretty decent paint job for $1300. A guy I met at a car show had his truck painted at a paint shop, who worked on it in spare time. It took about 3 months to get the job done, but he got a huge discount. If you're not in a big hurry, this might be an option. If I had a shop, I would have attempted it myself. Best of success to you...
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM

Unless prices are sky-high in Cali, it must've been the wrong week to talk to her about prices!
Single stage in Chicago is $500, and the xtras are $75 ea. = $800!
I'd be calling Maaco corporate, as she can't be making her own prices - you might get a free paint job in doing so - or maybe cash back!!
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM

Things are different out here due to the crazy restrictive emission laws. C.A.R.B is full of a BUNCH of IDIOTS that don't understand how things work. So the cost of supplies and the disposal of used items costs a lot more than it would in the mid west.
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM

the old saying you get what you pay for!!!!
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM

Smile

Back in 94 I got a Maaco $500 paint job on my 65 came out ok one run on the drivers side but not a show car I was happy with it for the time but When I am ready to paint my 69 I think I am going to try it myself , quoting my Brother "I think you can do brain surgery with the right instructions " I will give it a whirl ....this time around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
n1015431216_946841_5855.jpg (20.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Lalo442; March 21st, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Hi, A little late to reply to an older thread, but I had 2 paint jobs done by Maaco... As mentioned many times before.. it's all in the prep... or at least a major percentage of it. I did all the prep work with a friend of mine. When I dropped the car off, I popped out the tail lights and headlight bezels and tossed them in the trunk. I also taped off the smaller more tedious parts myself, as well. My only regret was not going finer than 220 on my DA sander... so you could see sanding marks.. but live and learn. Paint job number 2 was even nicer. Another friend does his own prep work and has the painter lay it on a bit heavier.. then he follows back thru after the paint cures and wet sands the whole thing, then buffs it out. This makes for an amazing paint job... No one would ever guess it was a Maaco job. I waited till the "off season" when they offered the "half price special".. again.. no regrets. I can't even buy all the materials to do the same thing for the price I paid to have them do it. I would however, make sure to discuss which primer to use on your prepped areas, to make sure the primer you use and paint they use, will play well together. Both paint jobs held up very well and I had none of the "horror story" experiences, like I heard from Earl Schieb.. [i.e. paint blowing off in the wind, etc...] Hope this helps! Cheers, Mike
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Thumbs up

THANKS Mike!
STILL Very helpful and ABSOLUTELY TRUE about ALL being in the PREP work! Live and Learn is SO right! One of my '84 Ninety-Eights will need a paint job w/i the next few years tops; so I'd like to get after it here maybe within the next year -- gets tough looking at it and all the imperfections when I'm out w/ it or at cruise night and shows etc. Summer Time don't ya know!

Thanks again Mike!

Best,

John
Originally Posted by 1964F85
Hi, A little late to reply to an older thread, but I had 2 paint jobs done by Maaco... As mentioned many times before.. it's all in the prep... or at least a major percentage of it. I did all the prep work with a friend of mine. When I dropped the car off, I popped out the tail lights and headlight bezels and tossed them in the trunk. I also taped off the smaller more tedious parts myself, as well. My only regret was not going finer than 220 on my DA sander... so you could see sanding marks.. but live and learn. Paint job number 2 was even nicer. Another friend does his own prep work and has the painter lay it on a bit heavier.. then he follows back thru after the paint cures and wet sands the whole thing, then buffs it out. This makes for an amazing paint job... No one would ever guess it was a Maaco job. I waited till the "off season" when they offered the "half price special".. again.. no regrets. I can't even buy all the materials to do the same thing for the price I paid to have them do it. I would however, make sure to discuss which primer to use on your prepped areas, to make sure the primer you use and paint they use, will play well together. Both paint jobs held up very well and I had none of the "horror story" experiences, like I heard from Earl Schieb.. [i.e. paint blowing off in the wind, etc...] Hope this helps! Cheers, Mike
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

The reason I'm so down on Maaco is that on my first 442, I DID do all the prep myself. I completely disassembled the car, removed ALL chrome, did all the body work, and primed and sanded the car myself. I just wanted them to shoot the color. They screwed it up, with heavy orange peel and dirt in the paint. This was in the 1970s, when catalyzed urethane enamel was THE high-tech paint. Unfortunately, that paint could not be color sanded.
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Another suggestion for those in need of having a car repainted would be to look up your local tech school to see if they would take it. The kids need cars to work on and some of the work I have seen in years past was pretty nice. The school that was near where I used to live would do paint and body work and charge for the materials only. Not sure if this is still done but it's worth a call or visit.

Outside of that, I'd be very hestiant about a bargain paint job like Macco. Even the lower end paints sold at the supply stores cost more than what Maaco will charge. Paint isn't something easily corrected or replaced so I would find a way to get a quality job even if it involved doing your own prep work. Talk to a few shops, explain the budget you have available (be prepared to be laughed at) and see what you can work out. You'll be much happier in the end.