Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

70 442 W-30 for sale - all original needs restoring

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:24 AM

70 442 W-30 for sale - all original needs restoring

Purchased this car from the original owner 11 years ago with intent of restoring. Realistically, this will not happen any time soon therefore I'm selling the car with hopes that someone else will restore the car. The car came from the state of Illinois and has severe rust that will require panels being replaced. It does have the original 455, TH400,ps,pdb,a/c,F heads, 12 bolt posi, buckets,console, 8 track player, pwr windows, map light and correct wheels all still in above average condition. I have a parts car that i'll be including in the sale. Car is a Cutlass S that was a total loss back in the early 80's. This car is from Arizona and very solid. Car has the original engine with ps,pdb,a/c and a true factory 4 speed car with out the trans. Cars are located approximately 20 miles north of Huntsville,AL. I've attached a link to my photos for your viewing. I can be reached at 256 278 0048 or 931 638 3053. Price is $11,900 for both cars and parts. Thanks

https://picasaweb.google.com/1174550...6/OLDS442Pics#

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 pics March 1 2011 001.jpg (89.6 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg
442 pics March 1 2011 035.jpg (81.7 KB, 220 views)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:42 AM

Wow, interesting project. It makes me feel a little better about the condition of mine . In all seriousness someone on here should be interested giving it a good home. Good luck!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM

I will send this link to a buddy of mine, I think too much of a project but you never know - I'd love it, bring it back to its homeland.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
NôôB

i would have to concur with steven on this one. but hey ones man trash is another mans treasure.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM

What a shame, was it this bad of shape when you purchased it 11 years ago?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM

Wow does that car require $$$ or what?! At least the underhood screen is in good shape...lol

Also, I didn't know a 4-speed '70 W-30 could be had with pdb and a/c or was that W-31 talk?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM

DIng DIng Ding, great catch, no power disc brakes, only the auto could have those and could have AC too. Don't think the 4-speeds had AC either in 70. Hmmmm, I forgave the bad paint job as that could have been done in 72, 82 or 92 but clearly the car was maroon painted red and the stripes are wrong, not only where they are, but how they are painted. again I figured that would have been expected. But the power brake raises a flag can't tell by the hump if it was an original 4 speed car maybe it wasn't. Heads are correct but wonder about carb (can't make out number) and distributor (yes all are bolt-ons but that would have been done along time ago)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM

Read carefully it is an auto car.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM

Yep, he says TH400 and those could come fully loaded. It would still be a fun project, I'd take it on. would love to work on a hard top to match the convertible with my three girls. Though this would be another "well as long as I'm doing this to the car I better do that" car. The good news is I could make it a long term project and not feel the need to get it on the road tomorrow
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Read carefully it is an auto car.
Power brakes were only available with the AT in 1970, but they were not mandatory. The A/C was also only available with AT that year. The dirty little secret is that the AT W-30s in 1970 did NOT get the 328 deg. cam, since it did not generate enough vacuum for the power options. How the AT W-30 allegedly made the same HP as the stick version remains a mystery.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:21 PM

W-30 Car

Does the W-30 have an aluminum intake manifold ?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DRXOLDS
Does the W-30 have an aluminum intake manifold ?
It sure looks aluminun. It should be 406115
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM

W-30 Intake I.D. Intake

On the front of the intake does it say "OLDSMOBILE" or "OLDS"
Please advise.......
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

On the front of the intake does it say "OLDSMOBILE" or "OLDS"
Please advise.......
It can say either I guess.

From the Olds FAQ intake manifolds section.

406115 '70 Aluminum. 455 W-30. "Oldsmobile W-455" in raised letters.
"Olds W-455" on some.

Probably have to go by the date code if you want correct and it's whatever it is.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM

Understood

Thanks..... know it could be either one. Early would be "OLDSMOBILE". Late would be "OLDS" because of the strike @ GM.............
Know the story behind that one
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM

Joe
the two probably didn't make the same hp.
they made the same factory rated hp.
Gerry
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is such a disgrace to see this car like this that I can't even comment or I will get thrown off this site. What a shame to sit outside uncovered and sink into the ground.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM

Another reminder why cars from the southwest are so highly prized. (or is that highly priced?)
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Seven years ago I tryed to buy a 1969 Cutlass S hard top loaded fair body.This car had been sitting outside uncovered for years.The guy said I might sell it played games with me for awhile and then said Im going to keep it I want to fix it up someday.It is still in the same place untouched!!!!!I hate to see a nice car left outside to RUST away.
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks..... know it could be either one. Early would be "OLDSMOBILE". Late would be "OLDS" because of the strike @ GM.............
Know the story behind that one
I'd like to know that story because the change from "OLDSMOBILE" to "OLDS" was in December of 69 and the strike wasn't until (I think) summer of 70.

I thought it only effected the 71 model year and caused the switch in body style to change from 72 to 73.

The rumours have always been that it was a broken mold problem
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM

I'd like to clarify a few things on the listing. First of all, it is a shame the car had rusted away but it did so long ago in Illinois. Both cars were and have been covered and not bare in the elements. The car does not have pdb, my mistake. Pictures of the 4 speed pedals and floor pan are in the Cutlass S car.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM

OLDS / OLDSMOBILE INTAKE "Story" Unconfirmed....

The "real" reason for the 'Olds 455' stamping can be traced to the GM strike back in the early '70s. Prior to the 1971 production run, Oldsmobile had to hire a bunch of 'replacements' for their union workers that were on strike. GM reached out to states in the South, since they didn't have union workers, and recruited them to help with production while the strike continued.
Oldsmobile brought on a crew from Alabama and one of them was from...you guessed it...MOBILE, Alabama! This individual manned the casting area and decided he wanted a nice souvenir to remind him of his 'strike breaking' days and chopped the M O B I L E part of the mold out of the mold box. Now how much truth there is to this story can't be officially confirmed, however this makes for a great piece of Oldsmobile lore!
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM

The "real" reason for the 'Olds 455' stamping can be traced to the GM strike back in the early '70s. Prior to the 1971 production run, Oldsmobile had to hire a bunch of 'replacements' for their union workers that were on strike. GM reached out to states in the South, since they didn't have union workers, and recruited them to help with production while the strike continued.
Oldsmobile brought on a crew from Alabama and one of them was from...you guessed it...MOBILE, Alabama! This individual manned the casting area and decided he wanted a nice souvenir to remind him of his 'strike breaking' days and chopped the M O B I L E part of the mold out of the mold box. Now how much truth there is to this story can't be officially confirmed, however this makes for a great piece of Oldsmobile lore!
That's an interesting story, but as I said, the GM strike was in September of 1970. The mold cast change was late November / early December of 1969

Last edited by allyolds68; March 4th, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM

I heard the guy was from old south mobile but he got fired before he chopped out the rest !!!
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Nice find for someone. Hey some guys remember a few years ago when I bought the 64 post "rustbucket", some are watching the progress on Major Projects/Restorations. That said there is a ray of hope to bring that W30 car back. If you are looking to restore that car, sell it and make some $$$ you will need alot of luck. But like on my car, the rust is almost gone, my wallet is getting very thin and it's not a W30. But how many 64 F-85 "post" cars are you ever going to see running around at shows, cruising the roads built with a 550HP 425 and all the support, safety and creature comforts to handle it? My wife says it will be my high dollar coffin (remember the movie Used Cars???) It can be a very expensive hobby in fact all hobbies cost money some more than others. The W30 needs a home.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I'd like to bring it back to Illinois
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! Have been trying to get in touch with the original owner for some time now and yesterday I was finally able to locate him again. He'd moved a couple of times over the years and I hadn't been able to find him. With that said, we talked and talked about the car and I reminded him that he promised me any and all paperwork on the car that he could find. He then remembered and has what documents that were located at his daughters home in a safe. She lives in another state so I couldn't drive over and get the documents. She assured me that she'd mail everything to me asap. He knew for sure the build sheet was in the documents and thinks the pop is also included. This changes everything for me and I'm debating on keeping the car and restoring as planned originally.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM

That would be cool, I for one have never seen a build sheet for a Lansing 442 let alone a W30 but that doesn't mean its not a broadcast card or an order form (or the first W30 build sheet to show up), that would be great if he does have it.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM

It could very well be the broadcast sheet he was speaking about having. He said that he remembered the sheet having several letters and numbers combined.
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by 1rare67
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! Have been trying to get in touch with the original owner for some time now and yesterday I was finally able to locate him again. He'd moved a couple of times over the years and I hadn't been able to find him. With that said, we talked and talked about the car and I reminded him that he promised me any and all paperwork on the car that he could find. He then remembered and has what documents that were located at his daughters home in a safe. She lives in another state so I couldn't drive over and get the documents. She assured me that she'd mail everything to me asap. He knew for sure the build sheet was in the documents and thinks the pop is also included. This changes everything for me and I'm debating on keeping the car and restoring as planned originally.
Gonna restore it as soon as you can get a forklift out there and get it up out of the ground it has sunk into. Sounds like a great plan.
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Wow I just remembered why I normally stay off sites like this....The main reason is
a _ _ holes like redoldsman and his comments. It's absolutely wonderful to get all the professional,know it all, personalities that come along!!! Exactly why I don't.... God just made some of us that way, Redoldsman can't help it.
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Does that car still have a frame? it would be easy enough to replace just curious.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM

I think that was said tongue in cheek
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Jeeeeeezzz!!! Rumors spread FAST.....I'm the person that created that rumor only about a month ago on this site or on RealOldspower.com. In fact, the words you posted are the exact words I made up for that thread!!

Last edited by 70Post; March 5th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Absolutely the car has a frame and would be drivable if the column and components were still intact. The frame is very usable its the sheet metal that will need replacing.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM

In the past I've collected primarily the 67-69 Camaro, 66 & 67 Chevelle and 69-72 Nova. This 442 car is the first that I've owned in the Olds line and I think I know roughly what the car should be worth if restored correctly. What should the car bring if its correctly restored with all the chalk markings like it rolled off the assembly line with original paperwork? It would be time consuming as you know but really fairly easy since I have the donor car and NOS fenders and hood. There would be several useable parts left over that I could sell as well. The 4 speed floor pan section and basically everything to set a 4 speed up with exception of the transmission itself, A/C box, complete engine in the S car with all attaching parts from air cleaner to oil pan, disc brake set up, seat belts, door panels and many other small parts.

Last edited by 1rare67; March 6th, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Old March 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks Jim that's definetly something to consider. What's the ball park $ on the 4 speed car? It's wrecked in the front but a very,very solid car from Arizona.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM

I just about want to cry after seeing those photos. Hope you can bring that rocket back to life. Hope for the best
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I am new to the site but have been looking for a 70 project for some time. I have a GTO and a vette, but my first love is oldsmobile. Is this still available? Did you find the paperwork? Please let me know. I would like to talk to you some more about it. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 70 442 W-30 for sale - all original needs restoring