'73 Oldsmobile 98; Is it Worth It? (Pics a Plenty)

Old August 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Registered Abuser

'73 Oldsmobile 98; Is it Worth It? (Pics a Plenty)

At least I think it's a '73. There was a wasp nest at the front of the door and I didn't want to linger there to long. I got stung reaching for the hood release. Ouchie!

Found this at a local body shop. I am hoping the price will be under $500. I figured after I cleaned up all of the mouse nests that inherit the car, I can drive it or sell it for a little more than what I paid for it (or part it out).

The floor pans look pretty good, but the trunk floor is pretty bad. I assume the rear window has leaked into the trunk over the years. The rest of the body is relatively straight and seemingly light in the rust department.

I'm going to jack up the car and get a good look at the rear frame rails and also ensure the 455 turns over before I have it dragged over to the house for me to ignore, until I get the '66 done.

Any suggestions were to look for any other issues with this model of car?

Gratuitous 455 shot...

Some pics of the underneath

Thanks for looking!
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM

As far as things to watch for be sure you check out the vinyl roof and potential for rust under it. I'm parting out a 1973 4 door, you can see pictures of it in the parts for sale section. It has a different grill, doorpanels and the sidemarker lights are different. I'm not sure if they're different models within the 98 line or maybe yours is a 1972 or 74? The rubber insert between the tail light and rear quarter panel rot easily, it's good to see they're good on this car. Nice Find! That will make a nice cruiser! John
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Yeah its not a 73,,,,Maybe a 74,,,nice find,,,i wish i could find things like this,,,,,2blu442 will send payment soon,,,,
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM

That car looks to be in good condition,,,And for 500 well worth it...I am buying alot of parts from 2blu442 and i can tell u if you decide to part it out u can easily double your money,,,,I would jack it up and get a good look at the floor pans...Pop the trunck and get up under the rear deck and see if there is any rust...My 73 had some rust damage but all in all it wasnt to much to fix it...It is very rare to find 2 doors thats why i jumped on mine when i seen it...

Last edited by 1973olds98; August 7th, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
At least I think it's a '73.
That looks like a great find! It is a 1974 98 Regency the top of the line model in 74. 1974 was the first year for the Regency Coupe, so there's not too many of them around. Glad to know you saved this one. I had a 74 98 Regency sedan at one time and it was one of the best driving cars I have ever had and was also one of the most comfortable. It would just glide down the road. Wish I still had it!
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by 76Supreme455
That looks like a great find! It is a 1974 98 Regency the top of the line model in 74. 1974 was the first year for the Regency Coupe, so there's not too many of them around. Glad to know you saved this one. I had a 74 98 Regency sedan at one time and it was one of the best driving cars I have ever had and was also one of the most comfortable. It would just glide down the road. Wish I still had it!
I haven't saved it yet. I'm awaiting a call back...
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
zed

Them is some mighty big doors on her...
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Registered Abuser

Well, I bought it today. It is indeed, a '74. I will take more pics when I get it towed over to the house. I think I will start a new thread with the correct year.
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM

AWSOME!

Make sure you keep us posted.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

That car's pretty clean considering it's in our area of the world and is in long grass to boot. Congrats on the find! Any idea yet if it's spent it's whole life here?
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I would jump on that car like Janet Jackson on a wardrobe malfunction!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I know pics always look better sometimes than when you get up close, but that car doesn't look that bad. In fact there's lots of stuff on it that appears to be in great shape. Less than $500? Awesome. The sheet metal pics show really good condition, and the emblems, bumpers, taillights etc look to be in great shape. It's even got Cruise Control!

Do you know if it's a local car? I know back in 74 Ontario used a LOT of salt on their roads during the winter. It would be a great candidate for a really cool project car. Too much good stuff to throw it away. Hope it turns over ok. You can get GM documentation on this baby from thier Vintage Vehicle division.

Nice find!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Allan R
I know pics always look better sometimes than when you get up close, but that car doesn't look that bad. In fact there's lots of stuff on it that appears to be in great shape. Less than $500? Awesome. The sheet metal pics show really good condition, and the emblems, bumpers, taillights etc look to be in great shape. It's even got Cruise Control!

Do you know if it's a local car? I know back in 74 Ontario used a LOT of salt on their roads during the winter. It would be a great candidate for a really cool project car. Too much good stuff to throw it away. Hope it turns over ok. You can get GM documentation on this baby from thier Vintage Vehicle division.

Nice find!
Naw, it's toast. I need a frame for it. I don't have the time to fiddle with it now. Parts or whole it is all yours.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1-rot-roh.html

This was a local car. It was loved right up to 1995 (ish) when the owner got sick and it was left outside. It is truly sad that this car was neglected in the manner it was. It was unabused and only has 43,000 miles on the odometer. Just one of those old fellas who just didn't want to sell, until it was too late.

Last edited by Red Delta; May 22nd, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Just one of those old fellas who just didn't want to sell, until it was too late.
Dirty scoundrel!
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up NEAT & RARE Coupe!

Great thread and Story on this car; NEAT! GLAD you saved it! That poor Old timer would be proud! Of course by now I'm dying to know; ANY updates for us on your car??
Thanks!

John
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Hi, are you still parting out your '74 98 Regency? There are a handful of things I would be interested in if so.

thank you,

John
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi, are you still parting out your '74 98 Regency? There are a handful of things I would be interested in if so.

thank you,

John
Well, it's still sitting in the back, untouched. Let me know what you need, and I will hook you up.

Or, at least tell you the condition of the item.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM

Well, it's still sitting in the back, untouched. Let me know what you need, and I will hook you up.

Or, at least tell you the condition of the item.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Here's what I'm interested in:

- Exhaust manifolds
- Steering column intermediate shaft and coupling at the base of the column (assuming there's no play) but not the full column or steering wheel.
- RH upper door panel
- LH dash faceplate (the one with the headlights/wipers controls)
- Fender well brackets (these mount from the wheel side of the fender well to the frame well...small brackets)
- Brake pedal pad
- Battery hold down

That's all I can think of right now. If you could send me pictures of each of these, I'd really appreciate it. You can PM or email me at jcny1976@yahoo.com to also discuss prices. Thanks! John
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM

If that car was a deep purple it would have been the car from Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis (the book not the film). The low-men drive a deep purple 73/74 Oldsmobile 98. FWIW, watch the film if you get a chance. Anthony Hopkins is an excellent actor.
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Sure she can't be saved? Floor and frame work can be done, not all that difficult, and it's got a better than average looking body.
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by holidaysedan
Sure she can't be saved? Floor and frame work can be done, not all that difficult, and it's got a better than average looking body.
The body is in good shape. Just the trunk and the rear frame is rotted. With a bunch of mouse nests. I managed to get the engine to turn, but am too scared to put any power to it.

Take a look at the link above that I posted. See if you would want to fix it. :P
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Wow it's too bad it's beyond fixing. It certainly looks good from the pics you posted.
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM

You could pick up a western frame, if you have a trailer, might be worth it for a 98 coupe. Trunk is no biggie.
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I'd have to say that judging by the pics posted on the other forum page, this car sat on moist ground for too long to be saved. It is a real shame because the body looks straight and clean but even if the frame was swapped out and the trunk floor repaired/replaced, how much more work needs to be done and what are you left with? Would the car ever be solid or just a mess of patchwork? Would you even have a solid mounting of body to frame? Maybe, but I wouldn't feel confident in it. I am all for saving these beauties whenever possible, but sometimes they're just too far gone.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Unhappy

Yeah, bummer! it sure looked to be a promising project and would be a NEAT CAR to see on the road again! I've never even SEEN a '74 in person, Coupe or otherwise...
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
Yeah, bummer! it sure looked to be a promising project and would be a NEAT CAR to see on the road again! I've never even SEEN a '74 in person, Coupe or otherwise...
It makes me sad every time I pull in the driveway. The car is slightly uphill from my parking spot in my drive. I have a good view of the perfectly unrusty dual exhaust.

Stainless really is worth it.
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah, I bet! SORRY to hear it Pal...would be enough to bum any of us out! At least it IS very cool "Yard Art" as we call it! Dual exhaust; way cool! (speaking of COOL; it's that really your Phone #?? )
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
Yeah, I bet! SORRY to hear it Pal...would be enough to bum any of us out! At least it IS very cool "Yard Art" as we call it! Dual exhaust; way cool! (speaking of COOL; it's that really your Phone #?? )
Google voice number, but it forwards straight to my cell. It took a while to find the right number when I signed up.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up

Google voice number, but it forwards straight to my cell. It took a while to find the right number when I signed up.
VERY COOL! CONGRATS Brother!
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Hey guys,

thought you'd like to see a couple of pics of a nice '74 Ninety Eight Regency I saw at the Olds Nationals this past July. It has a '75 nose on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
74 98.jpg (98.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg
74 98-2.jpg (98.7 KB, 44 views)
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Unhappy

Very Nicely done! THAT is a looker for sure! A "Rolling Cathedral" to be sure! Thanks for posting! I've not been to an Olds Natl Meet in a couple years...I'm sorry to say!
Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey guys,

thought you'd like to see a couple of pics of a nice '74 Ninety Eight Regency I saw at the Olds Nationals this past July. It has a '75 nose on it.
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah, it was a really nice one. I'm not big on the bug deflector or nose swap but the car was done beautifully. I believe it is in the seniors class. This was the first nationals I had been to since Parsippany. We only got to go for one day because we were leaving for our honeymoon a couple of days later! Luckily, we picked the day the weather was perfect because it poured a few of the other days.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM

73 olds

I am looking for a front grille. any idea where to find one
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:55 PM
REO

Such a shame, from the pics it was looking like it'd atleast make a decent driver