Neutral Safety Switch

Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Neutral Safety Switch

So does anyone sell a Neutral safety switch for a 72 floor sfift? I have looked all over from retailers to restoration places and all I find is the one for the column shift. If no one sells them does anyone have one?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM

I had to get one, I think Yearone or the parts place though that may be 70 specific
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Checked both of those guys and they all show they are for column shift cars...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM

excuse my ignorance but from what I recall, the floor shifter actually moved the column (in some cases - I am guessing not yours?)

if that's the case, wouldn't the neutral safety switch be the same as the col shift car?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Jeffery....It is on the column. I am not sure if they are the same. I assumded the same thing but when I called a couple places it just states that they are for column shift cars and do not want to buy one until I am sure. now another question I have is the switch the same as 71? or since the seat belt light went through the safety switch in 72 is it different?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM

I think they are one and the same but I am a clown - just guessing
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
Jeffery....It is on the column. I am not sure if they are the same. I assumded the same thing but when I called a couple places it just states that they are for column shift cars and do not want to buy one until I am sure. now another question I have is the switch the same as 71? or since the seat belt light went through the safety switch in 72 is it different?
I just bought one from O reillys. It does mount on the column just behind the ignition switch. When I was checking on one I thought that it would be in or near the automatic floor shifter,but mine is a 72 and it is mounted on the column.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Grown Azz Kid

gh5168. SO your car is a floor shift and you bought the one from O'Rieleys and no issues? That is good to know if that is the case.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
gh5168. SO your car is a floor shift and you bought the one from O'Rieleys and no issues? That is good to know if that is the case.
Yes, and I also replaced the ignition switch too.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...eme&vi=1221714
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM

yes I remember being fascinated as a kid to see the floor shifter move the lower column - it just makes sense that there is only 1

now is there 1 for a floor mounted 4 speed? where?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM

Here's the way it goes.
68-70 is on the shifter on the floor and on the column if it's column shifted.
71-88 is on the column no matter where the shifter is and use the same one.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM

I have a 70 shifter in my 72 and it has the switch and bar that hooks up to the shifter handle. But I dont have it hooked up because mine is already on the column.
So I guess it is for sale if you want your car correct.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
Here's the way it goes.
68-70 is on the shifter on the floor and on the column if it's column shifted.
71-88 is on the column no matter where the shifter is and use the same one.
that would be right.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:03 AM

Just make sure it has 6 terminals on it.
The 71 may not have the seat belt light switch on it, as the belts warning system may not have been on all 71's. However, a good replacement should have all 6 and if you do not need the belt switch, then you would not connect them to anything... Of course this is just logical reasoning...
I saw a switch at Rockauto, but the picture showed a 4 terminal - so it wont work the way you want it.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thanks guys, That clears it up. maybe these dealers need to label it as column mount and not for column shift only

the 2 places I spoke to said they were only column shift (I am sure they just read the same description as on their site and they say column shift in the description)

Oh well good to know that it is available and if they are all the same. I may have one or two and did not know it
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
now is there 1 for a floor mounted 4 speed? where?
Yes - on the clutch pedal.

A refresher for our younger members. Starting with the 1969 model year, the feds required that the shifter and steering column be locked with the key. GM's solution to this was to use the column shift style linkage on floor shift cars to ensure that the shifter was locked. On manual trans cars this linkage was connected to the reverse lever on the trans. Since this backdrive linkage needed to be in place anyway, GM saved production cost by using only one configuration of NSS/backup light switch - the one on the column. The backdrive linkage automatically moved the column-mounted switch for backup lights (even with a manual trans) and provided the NSS function for A/T floor shift cars. Manual trans cars used a separate clutch interlock switch that used the same wires as the NSS. The two purple wires were simply plugged into the clutch switch instead of the NSS on the column.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM

ok Joe one last question.... on the manual floor shift, does that comply with the 1969 Federal mandate that the column and shifter be locked? I remember a release that you had to hold down to get the key out (which would only work with it in gear) but I thought that was on Fords...
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

ok Joe one last question.... on the manual floor shift, does that comply with the 1969 Federal mandate that the column and shifter be locked? I remember a release that you had to hold down to get the key out (which would only work with it in gear) but I thought that was on Fords...
Yes, that was the whole purpose of the linkage. With the shifter in reverse, the backdrive linkage rotated the bowl on the steering column and allowed the key to be moved to the LOCK position. At that point, the shifter could not be moved.
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Question

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes - on the clutch pedal.

A refresher for our younger members. Starting with the 1969 model year, the feds required that the shifter and steering column be locked with the key. GM's solution to this was to use the column shift style linkage on floor shift cars to ensure that the shifter was locked. On manual trans cars this linkage was connected to the reverse lever on the trans. Since this backdrive linkage needed to be in place anyway, GM saved production cost by using only one configuration of NSS/backup light switch - the one on the column. The backdrive linkage automatically moved the column-mounted switch for backup lights (even with a manual trans) and provided the NSS function for A/T floor shift cars. Manual trans cars used a separate clutch interlock switch that used the same wires as the NSS. The two purple wires were simply plugged into the clutch switch instead of the NSS on the column.
so i'm having a no backup light situation, there is no power to the wires back to those pair of lamps in the trunck, so if i wanted to check out nss/backup light switch it would be in the column even tho my 1970 cutlass 's' is a floor shift auto trans?
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by g77rvd
so i'm having a no backup light situation, there is no power to the wires back to those pair of lamps in the trunck, so if i wanted to check out nss/backup light switch it would be in the column even tho my 1970 cutlass 's' is a floor shift auto trans?
yes
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Question

yes
Thanks, also in your opinion am I looking at right thing? New fuse but no power to wire anywhere in trunk when I check with test light. Have car in run and shift trans to reverse. Any other ideas i may have overlooked?
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Try checking voltage at the two green wires on the NSS / reverse switch.
Dark green with white stripes comes from the fuse. The lighter green wire goes to the bulbs in the trunk.

If you get voltage on the dark green side and not the light, the fuse is good. Hold the probe on the light one voltage and slowly move the shifter up and down. If nothing, then the switch is prolly bad. If you get voltage somewhere out of the center reverse the switch may need adjusting.
If you get voltage in both places in reverse, then check connection at the front & rear body connectors.