General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Canister Purge Solenoid 3800 V6

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM

Canister Purge Solenoid 3800 V6

I'm getting a CEL on my 90 Toronado and from running the onboard diagnostics I think I've discovered that the canister purge solenoid is not working.

Problem is I am not sure where it is!! Does anyone know? I know what it looks like but I can't see it anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM

I'm thinking on this car its on the top of the vapor canister.

If it is not on the top of the canister then it will be located on the intake mounted to a bracket with a vacuum line going to it and one running from it to the canister. I would check the vacuum lines first that might be the problem.

I have a couple of pics that should help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
purge.jpg (30.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
canister.jpg (13.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; April 2nd, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM

Thanks Andy! I just got my service manual in the mail yesterday. You are right, it is on the top of the canister. I have to take off the air cleaner assembly and relay center to get to it, but from what I can "feel", I think the wire connector broke off. It has a wire that runs to the ECM...if it did break, that would be why the CEL is going off. Now I would have to just figure out how to fix it!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM

Maybe it won't be to bad. Worst case if you needed a connector. You can go to a junk yard and get connector off any GM that has the purge valve on the canister. Take a pic of your before you go looking so you make sure you get the right one, but I thinking they all shared the same connector at least something around the same year. Not a 100% sure. So take a pic or take it with you.

I hope yours is a easy fix.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM

Thanks...hoping it's easy too Luckily it's not something that is causing drive-ability problems...but still, I want it fixed.
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:44 PM

I got to look at it today. It appears some pack rats got into the engine compartment at some point...the wires were chewed right off...and naturally right at the connector. I bought some 18 gauge wire and new terminals...had to take the connector apart then splice the new wire to the old with butt connectors. It worked! No more SES light!. Damn rats!