How much does it cost to shorten rear end and axles

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM

How much does it cost to shorten rear end and axles

just wondering.
where can you get this type of thing done?
thanks everyone
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Don't have and idea on the cost, But a quality machine shop can do the work, or you can order custom made aftermarket axles from a supplier like http://www.moserengineering.com/ There are other suppliers out there as well. search the internet
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Ben

The work is not that hard- its having the right axle jigs to make sure the ends stay square with the carrier bearings & the other axle that really makes the difference.

You can do it without jigs- but its gonna be a crapshoot if its lined up right.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM

How much are you talking about. The TA can take a pretty good size tire and wheel without doing anything. If you narrow your rear end then you have to enlarge your wheel house. Depending on how much you plan on going then the frame and rear suspension will have to be modified. If you plan on doing all this I wouldn't put that much money in the rear end that came in that car. I would go with a 9 inch Ford.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM

the wheels i have right now are big, except the backspace isnt right. so i thought maybe just shorten the axle and rear end. Because I dont want to buy new rims, especially since I dont like them all that much. (they came with the car)
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM

It would be cheaper or at least easier to buy new rims, that you like.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM

narrowing work

I agree with just buying different rims with the correct back spacing.

rear end narrowing is usually for a custom frame rail set-up or tubing the car for drag racing or other custom application.

Rims will be the cheaper way out with MUCH less risk of someone botching the job.

By the way we do this work BUT we are in NE Ohio area.

We can make any rear and width and get you custom axles to fit the rear. 100-200 for narrowing a housing. (TYPE OF HOUSING END WITH CHANGE PRICING) Axles again c-clip will be cheaper axles...Bolt in custom axles will be much more. Jim

J D Race.com
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Getting the diff exactly straight requires jigs that race chassis shops may have. by the time they cut and re-spline the axles (if they are fat enough inboard of the current splines, doubtful) you might as well have bought Moser axles which are stronger. Diffs are a slippery slope regarding cost vs. strength. Before putting money into yours, decide if it is the one you want. Making one race worthy costs about the same for whatever you start with--12 bolt chevy, Dana, 9" Ford, 8.5" GM. There are some differences in strength and cost among them, and also in appearance (originality quotient). If you aren't interested in racing, you are a lot better off with a stock width rear because it is a lot easier to replace. I don't know what you want for wheels, but you can get various backspacings with many aftermarket wheels, and places like Marsh Racing Wheels (mrt-wheels.com) can make up steel wheels with stock centers, D hole centers, or o hole centers in whatever width and backspace you want. I have sent them centers from 15" GM wheels and they have made up custom stuff for me in the width and offset I wanted.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM

X 2 on the different wheels instead, put yours up for sale now while they are on the car. And when they sell you will have an idea what you have to work with as a budget, Show us said wheels Please never know some one here might be interested in them YA JUST NEVER KNOW
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM

they are just regular cragar ss wheels.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM

if they are 10" in back I might know some one that would want them, and if they are real nice condition might actually swap some for ya
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM

That's the problem with SS Cragars.They don't make any deep backspacings.Gotta love the 80's. I would just get a rim with the correct backspace,& leave the rear alone.
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM

crager SS

YAH gotta love the uni lug wheels...lol Balancing is a bitch....Sometimes you get them on straight sometimes not...LOL...

Take care.
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:36 AM

I took my rear end to Moser in Portland,,Its about a hour away,,I made a appointment with them and they shortened the axle while a waited..Total cost with axles was 310.00