Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1969 Oldsmobile 98 convertible - $5000 obo

Old November 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM

1969 Oldsmobile 98 convertible - $5000 obo

I just purchased this car - have not registered it.

1969 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible; 455, q-jet, TH400

poor royal blue paint job, white CV top - appears to be original; white upholstery, black carpet - the car could look awesome with some work. The car was crimson, originally.

I really like the car, but I just found and bought my dream car today ('67 cutlass supreme CV), and don't have room for more toys. I have just started the refurb process, too.

There is a lot of great stuff about the car: body panels straight and strong, no dents - I have gotten a lot of compliments on it in the past week I have owned it. The wheel covers are original and in great shape, and the new chrome Cragar smoothies I just installed on the car make it look awesome. The car has a tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Someone spray painted the grill, but it comes off easily with a fingernail to reveal the original chrome plastic. The 455 roars and runs strong - clean as a whistle inside the motor, too; new plug wires and plugs; HEI conversion; has brand new MSD electronic fuel pump' new master cylinder. Just performed a fuel system flush. The transmission does not appear to have any problems. The car rides great on the open road. The radiator is in great shape.

The frame is in good shape - there is a mend between the tail/and the left rear wheel under the trunk; also, the crosspiece right before the left rear wheel has been mended, too. The mends were good/strong. There is a rust spot in rocker on the passenger's side. Some rust on the rear quarters, but not eaten through - just where water got in between the liner and the fender skin. The top has 3 tiny holes someone tried to mend with caulk on the passenger's side. Either the convertible top's hydraulic arm on the driver's side has a leaky seal or the hoses need replacing; I have not diagnosed that problem yet. The top will go down/up with some help. The car has the factory A/C, but it probably does not work - there is no belt, so I don't know for sure, but if I was a betting man . . . The heater and fan work fine, however.

Had I not just found "the one," I'd be taking it to Hardy Brothers restoration in Jackson, MS next week. I am on the fence as it is, and may just keep it, so any offers should step up!

I just had the two rear wheel cylinders replaced - they were leaking brake fluid. I put new Cragar Smoothie chrome rims wrapped in new rubber - looks awesome on the car. New/used brake drums just installed on the back. A fuel system flush and new valve cover gaskets round out the latest work on the car.

I am asking $5000; not quite what I have in the car - a bit of work/time and the car could be a real hum-dinger.

I can be reached at wjustinmartin (at) me.com

I have pictures I can send on request, just ask.

no longer for sale

1967 CS convertible for sale

Last edited by wjustinmartin; January 9th, 2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I keep editing for updates as I perform work on the car - price will have to go up, soon!
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM

here is one pic - I will happily email more if requested
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Looks like a pretty car. Good luck selling it.
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM

Slowly but surely, I am repairing the car, so eventually I will either keep it or go up in price! Repairing seats, door panels, and installing a new top are the next items on the tear sheet - the price surely will go up after that.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Wow - not even a nibble! I guess the land yachts are not as inspiring as a 442, right?

What are the most and least appealing aspects about the car - I am starting to want to keep it, but I don't need three toys hanging around sucking up time and money.
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Do you have the car on Craigslist in a metropolitan area near you?
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM

No - I am barely marketing the car - I am fixing the top and freshening up the interior and paint before I make any hasty moves. I am starting to like it more and more. I might just have to rent another storage space and keep it.

Nah - I don't have the time or room - but I do want to make some repairs before I sell it; make it easier to move.
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by wjustinmartin
No - I am barely marketing the car - I am fixing the top and freshening up the interior and paint before I make any hasty moves. I am starting to like it more and more. I might just have to rent another storage space and keep it.

Nah - I don't have the time or room - but I do want to make some repairs before I sell it; make it easier to move.
I agree ...

Make sure all rust is detailed ...
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM

If you want to sell the car then Craigslist is a good place to list it. Especially if you put it on the Craigslist for a nearby metroplex.

If you decide to keep it then you will have a cool cruiser.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Hello,
I PM'd you I would love to join you guys as a proud owner of an olds!
Thanks,
Greg
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM

PM sent - I'd love to sell it to you - my Cutlass Supreme arrived yesterday and I need the garage space!
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM

I just put on some Cragar chrome smoothie wheels - makes it look like a completely new car - took some more pics - got some pics of the fenders behind the wheels - typical rust spots - this car is clean there. Took some more pics of the interior with some pics of the convertible frame. Drop me an email if you have interest. I am right on the edge of just keeping it - I drove it some today, and it is a very fun car to drive. Tons of compliments everywhere, obviously.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Old December 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM

Those are awsome wheels! I am going to put aftermarket wheels on my 71 98 this summer. I don't know if I want Cragar SS or Cragar Soft 8s with wide white wall tires (I'm leaning towards the later since it is a big car). That is definitely a nice look!

BTW, what size wheels and tires are those?
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM

15" wheels
235/70 tires, I am almost certain
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM

love the rear side markers, car looks ultra cool I would love to see more pictures!

Last edited by jeffreyalman; December 18th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Here is a slideshow of all of the pics I have of "Beulah":
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4448916...03214351/show/
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM

And as of today, this is no longer for sale

I do, however, have an almost cherry '67 CS convertible that can be had for $7K

it is a hum dinger, already - rebuilt q-jet., handles like an award winner - it just doesn't fit me
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM

In due time - I will get it out and take some specific pics this week, maybe.

It isn't a POS by any means - mid 80s restoration with engine rebuild; needs some TLC to be awesome again
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Did you decide to keep the blue convertible?
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Did you decide to keep the blue convertible?
Yes I did - I love driving it. I like the Cutlass Supreme, and it is in much better shape than the 98, but the 98 gets more looks and I just like driving it better.

I m on the fence about how much to do to the CS prior to putting it officially on the market - do I go ahead and re-paint and put on a new top, or sell it as-is. Either way, it will be an awesome ride for someone.

What say you?
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM

If you repaint the Cutlass and put a new top on it then it will have more marketability. If you sell it with bad paint and a bad top then the only people interested in it will be those that are looking for a project car. If the car is mostly complete then even a novice auto enthusiast would consider buying. At least, that is the way I think. Good luck either way!
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Update - Olds 98 convertible is back on the market

I just purchased a new white top/windows from Convertible Guys - just had new tranny gasket and oil pan gasket installed - no leaks under the car anymore.

Still same price - $5000 and it is yours.

After having the Cutlass painted and driving it around, it has won my heart - here is a chance to get an awesome ride for little scratch - see the pics above in the thread
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Good to hear it is back on the market. I am sure it will make someone really happy.
Old May 29th, 2023, 06:40 PM

Availability and location

I was wondering was this still available
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:05 AM

I doubt the car is still for sale. If you click on the OP's avatar it indicates he hasn't logged in since 2010. Check Hemmings for cool Oldsmobiles for sale.

https://www.hemmings.com/